Outline cross section views of the 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ronald Standberg

Outline cross section views of the 170B

Post by Ronald Standberg »

I need cross sectional outlines for the body, wing, elevator and rudder of the 170B for a variety of stations. I am trying to get information to build a 1/8 scale RC model. In particular I want to include operational Fowler flaps. Any help will be appreciated. Ron Strandberg
Ronald Standberg

Re: Outline cross section views of the 170B

Cessna customer service offers a set of drawings of the 170B for $75 they say are suitable for building a scale model. Has any one looked at these drawings, and do they show sufficient information regarding cross sectional cut throughs of the body, wing and empanage to get a good scale shape as well as outline shapes of these elements? Thanks in advance for any comments, Ron Strandberg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I hope this will help.

It's interesting to note that the 195 has less rudder than the 170 even though the vert stab/rudder is the same size above the horiz stab. The 195 rudder stops just above the horiz stab with a fixed tail cone below the horiz stab.

Click on picture to enlarge.
195-170 Dimension Comparison.jpg
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Ronald Standberg

To Hilltop170 : Thanks for the drawing! It's just what I am looking for. Do you know the source? Is it from official Cessna data? Is it possible to get a larger version as enlarging by about 9 times to get 1/8 scale size leaves a lot to be desired for smooth lines without redrawing over the enlargement, also do you know if cross section cuts are available for the elevator and rudder? What do the dotted lines signify on the wings? Does the wing dihedral change at the taper or is it constant along the entire wing? Your drawing shows 1 deg 44 min dihedral. Is washout the same as dihedral? I have a reference that indicates washout of 3 deg across the tapered section of the wing. Is that correct? What does it mean? Also do the flaps extend with a covering top and bottom to prevent a large gap from occurring between the wing and flap or are the flaps enclosed within the wing when retracted? Thanks again to you and Aryana for your help, it is much appreciated. This should help to give me many hours of enjoyment preparing detail plans and internal designs for building a very nice accurately scaled RC model. Ron Strandberg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ron-
I sent you a PM on this website. Look at the top of this page just below the big blue page header with the club logo for a line that looks like this;

User Control Panel (1 new messages) • View your posts

Click on (1 new messages) to view my PM.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't know what Richard answered of all your questions so I'll answer what I can for others who read this thread.

I asked Richard a few of the same questions. He does not have a larger print or scan. According to my calculations you want to blow this drawing up (from a print I made of it) 1570.909% for a 54 inch wingspan which is 1/8th scale. Well if yo can find a high resolution scanner of abotu 1800dpi at 1570.909% your effective dpi will be 114.58. Probably good enough for a print. But of course the lines of the drawing will be 1500% thicker. But all you need is the outside edge. You could also accomplish this with your home scanner by scanning as large as you can then printing that scan as large as you can and then rescanning the enlargement and repeat.

The dotted lines on the wings signify the pocket or undercut area for the ailerons and the flaps to operate in. In other words if you flipped the wing over and looked at it the trailing edge would only be to the dotted lines and in the case of the ailerons angle straight to the upper wider surface and in the flap area it is an under camber curve.

The wing dihedral is the same from wing root to wing tip. Washout is not dihedral. Washout is a twist in the wing. Negative washout (which I think all planes that have it will be negative) means compared to the wing root the trailing tip is raised that amount. In the case of our Cessna 170 it is not the wing root but the start of the taper where the washout begins and is 3° to the wing tip trailing edge.

There is a gap between the flap and the wing when they are extended so air can pass both over and under them. The action is accomplished with a rail type system moving the flap both back and down.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Arash,

What do/did you fly? I work for Horizon Hobby. Glad to see someone posted these, I posted a month or so ago to no avail. I seem to recall that same 3-view in a small, dark green, hardback book on single engine Cessnas that my father gave me.

To the OP, FWIW, I have large Berkely plans on my computer that seem to be of very good quality that I can send. Also, not sure if you've seen, but Manzano Laser works has a 44" or so R/C version. I have one of these kits that I will be putting micro gear in to fly indoors.