Leaking ragwing fuel tank cap

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless Tower

Leaking ragwing fuel tank cap

Post by Fearless Tower »

Anyone have problems with ragwing fuel tank caps leaking?

My left tank seems to want to fill up with water when it rains....fortunately it doesn't do that too much here in San Diego, but I'm wondering if the fix is as simple as replacing the gasket, or if my cap itself needs help.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Robert Eilers

Re: Leaking ragwing fuel tank cap

Post by Robert Eilers »

We need to know which type of fuel cap you are using on the left tank. If, like most of us, you probably have a conventional non-vented cap on the left tank and a "Red" vented cap on the right tank. The newer "red" style caps, in my experience, tend to prevent water contamination better than the older conventional style caps. The older style caps would allow water to enter the tank if the well around the cap fills with water, generally over the rear lip due to orientation of the typical tail dragger when tied down. Changing out the gasket is a good first step.

One of the members, Duane Stockley I believe, developed a fabric cover to protect the fuel caps when tied down. If your aircraft is parked outside, some sort of fuel cap cover is a good idea.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
3958v

Post by 3958v »

The Ragwing caps are different from the A&B caps. They are more prone to let water in. Many people with ragwings us some sort of cover over their caps to prevent water entry. There are two sources for water to get in on these caps. One source is the obvious large gasket on the outside which some people make on their own from thicker material. I heard of one fellow who replaced his gaskets with large O rings. The other less obvious potential leak is in the center of the cap where by removing the cotter pin and dis assembeling you will find a small O ring to replace. When you replace that O ring you can add another shim washer under the cotter pin to help keep things tight. What ever you do take water in the fuel seriously because it can kill you and if you found some there is quite likly a lot more that you did not get. I know this from personal experience. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bill K's advice is excellent.

Some ragwing owners make a cover to keep over their fillers while tied down or during washing. (Upside-down Tuna fish cans are promoted as appropriately sized, although I think that suggestion came from the owner of a green airplane. Red airplanes prefer Caviar-cans, although one of my personal friends told me that if I were the owner of a ragwing he'd suggest I use a Planter's NUT-can.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rsmerrick

Post by rsmerrick »

I keep my caps covered when out side. I have had a pretty good scare due to water in fuel and once I get some water in the tanks seems to take forever to clear it total out RH side being the worse due i am sure the two interconnected tanks. So be very vigilant when doing your pre flight
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

WHATIMAGONNA USE IF WE EVAR GIT RAIN
Attachments
FLAG CAP.jpg
FLAG CAP.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!