The C170 Assoc Red-Green Show

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ptporebski

The C170 Assoc Red-Green Show

Post by ptporebski »

OK guys. I know that I'm kind of a newbie in the association (coming up on one year). But can someone explain this red-green thing to me? Is it some kind of inside joke? :?: Maybe others would like to know also. Thanks.
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172
W.J.Langholz

Re: The C170 Assoc Red-Green Show

Post by W.J.Langholz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.

Well you see there are these 2 Texans....... The first Texan is a quiet, timid,reserved sort of guy and it's really hard to get him to say much about anything even when prodded about religion and politics. He owns this good looking mostly original 170B. It does have 1 mod that I'm aware of that is some kind of auto-pilot that always lands at the right airport in the correct state.....even in the dark......with no lights. The 2nd Texan is this bodacious,tall, well kept good looking sort of guy with a charming personality and quite knowledgeable about most things. He owns a green highly modified 171. It has a much larger vertical stabiliser that reduces drag. Even though I've never looked under the cowl, they tell me, that o-300 is hopped up and has a modified carb or something that makes it a good 3-5 miles and hour faster.
They tell me on a quiet Texas night if you listen close you can hear the 2 racing in the dark.........and even though the green one is a much nicer looking and FASTER plane, he always lets the RED one win.............On a recent trip to Texas I wanted to lay my eyes on the "Red" one but it was well concealed on a private strip in the Hill Country........someday I'll see it
Last edited by W.J.Langholz on Thu May 19, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

It's a long standing controversy in this club. Some guys claim red 170s go faster and others claim green ones do.

I claim A models go faster, no matter what color.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It started between the late Joe Harris and George Horn. As you can imagine and probably have seen we've had a lot of discussion of the Chevy or Ford type. Or is an A model faster than a B model. Some how a challenge was thrown down by either Joe or George to the effect that the color effected the speed. Joe had a green plane and of course George has a red one. When discussions got perhaps a bit testy Joe liked to boil it down to green is better faster and of course George would take up the red side. A bit of relief and a reminder not to take each other so seriously.

Since Joe's passing several of us have taken up the green side. George does a pretty good job on his own for the red.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I like your description of the controversy, Dubya... even if it IS wrong! :lol:

(Proof that this red/green thing has taken on a life of it's own.....) :mrgreen: :oops:

And, FLAT WINGS are NOT faster, despite what hilltop says...
(I maintain their inherent instability results in wasted motion.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
HA

Post by HA »

I would love to try to help the noble cause and say that RED airplanes are faster. But I have never noticed any real hint of excessive speed from the family aerochine, so I cannot really help the cause there. Maybe it's that draggy thing hanging out under the engine...
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

HA wrote:Maybe it's that draggy thing hanging out under the engine...
Well, there's your problem right there!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

George

I was going to start out like "Once upon a time...... that would sound like a fairy tale.

Then I started by "It was a dark and stormy night........ but that sounded like some cheap sex novel you would buy at the dime store.....

and by the way, I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.

I do want to see your plane someday
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
170C

Post by 170C »

Willie, do you still have "Dime Stores" in western Minn? :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Frank

We do have a 5 and Dime in Tyler!!!!!!........there is also one in Fredericksburg :D I bought my Texas flag there :D :D

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
ptporebski

Post by ptporebski »

OK!! I understand now; it's a Chevy-Ford thing. I guess that I would have to side with the red side. As my 172 is red/white/blue. But I've got the draggy training wheel also so no comment as to speed (other than slow). :wink:
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172