PROP SHOP INVENTORY

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

PROP SHOP INVENTORY

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I know prop shops exist but I have never been inside one or know the location of a prop shop.

My inquiry is do prop shops have an inventory of the common NEW props for single engine aircraft ?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Glenn

Re: PROP SHOP INVENTORY

Post by Glenn »

As someone who used to work in the aircraft parts business, I'd guess your average small shop wouldn't carry a full selection of new props. It would tie up too much money on parts that have to many variables (pun intended) for each application. I would guess, if you were ordering a "new" prop, they would order it from the source and apply a small mark up before they sold it to you. That's not to say they don't have a large selection of rebuildable props or servicable models they took in as cores or spares that they couldn't whip into shape real quick.
I must like the classics. All of my vehicles are older than I am.

Looking for a 1/3 partner in my '48 170. PM for details
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

In my experience most prop shops have small inventory of props. They keep listings of blades their condition and a yellow or green tag on them as to weather they are serviceable or reparable. It is unusual for them to keep a constant speed props assembled unless they have a customer for it, Because if they do not sell it soon after assembly they end up having to reseal it again as it ages to be able to call it a fresh overhaul. They have very few fixed pitch props because the only way they get them is if they were damaged and beyond serviceable limit unless someone sells it to them or gives it to them on a contingency sale.
Most have access to listing of other prop shops and inventory around the country and can sometimes find a used serviceable prop. But in most cases fixed pitch props are sold new. Most prop shops make little profit on selling props, they make most of the money doing overhauls.
Do a search on the internet for a prop shop near you.

Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Glenn wrote:..., if you were ordering a "new" prop, they would order it from the source and apply a small mark up before they sold it to you. ....
It might be more illustrative to state they purchase props at their "market discount"...and sell it retail at either MSRP or some discount from MSRP at their own discretion and in accordance with trade-in allowances. ( A repeat or large customer would likely receive a better discount off MSRP.)

One is unlikely to stroll into a prop shop and select a propeller from "in-stock" ... unless it is an extremely popular model recently overhauled. (Example: you are in the market for a composite propeller off an Embraer and you happen to walk into a shop based at ASA airlines home base.) :wink:

For a single engine Cessna... you are unlikely to find new props sitting in inventiory anywhere except Witchita or Independence KS..... and those will all fit Lycomings only. :wink: Otherwise, McCauley will have them in the factory warehouse, ready for shipment to your local prop shopt. Exceptions might be Univair or Aircraft Spruce who likely have one or two in-stock of the most popular models, ready for shipment.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)