Thank You

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Thank You

Post by wingnut »

Thank you all for the flower arrangement sent from the 170 Association to my family for my dad's funeral, and a special thanks to the person who brought it to the attention of the group. We were having family visitation at the funeral home when Tina teared up and said, "Del, you need to come look at this". We both broke down right there. When you get something like that from someone(s) you don't expect, it really hits home knowing that people care and are thinking of you.
My dad had been ill since before Christmas, and I've been helping him with chores at home since then, but he did not miss a day of work until 2 weeks before his death. That's when we learned it was cancer, that death was imminent, and that it was to late for any treatments.
We started out being told he had 2-4 months, but with each test and each day, the news got worse. We were told last Monday he had 2 days, 4 tops. He died at 9pm Wednesday, April 14. He handled everything in way very typical of dad. Even the last day, when ask how he feels, he would hold his hands up and rub his fingers together; same answer he always gave,"with my hands". All his kids (me, 2 brothers and 1 sister) were there we he drew his last breath. It was the toughest thing I've ever experienced, but I'm so glad we all had the opportunity, and time, to speak last words.
Thanks again
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
hilltop170

Re: Thank You

Post by hilltop170 »

Del-
Ina and I are very sorry for your loss. All the best to you, your family, and crew at the shop.

Whoever sent the arrangement to the funeral gets our thanks as well.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So sorry for your loss Del.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

You have our sympathy's, Del
Brad, Janet, Chuck, and Rogene
Last edited by Brad Brady on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
170C

Post by 170C »

Del, sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a parent is tough. A lot of us have been there and there is no easy way to handle it. At least it sounds like your Dad didn't suffer for a long period. Our sympathy to you and all your family. Remember the good times you had with him.

Frank & Becky Stephenson
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Del,
You have our sympathy also.
John & Becky
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Del,

Really sorry to ear of your dad's passing. Seems like the older we get, the closer we get to our parents.
I can tell you though, in time, the great memories of your dad will be the first thing that comes to your
mind vs. the sadness you feel today. And right after that - smiles...

Warm regards,

Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Thank you all again for the kind thoughts, prayers and words of wisdom from those of you who have been there.
The time in hospital, and the funeral were tough. But I was completely unprepared for what it was going to be like "cleaning up" and "organizing" his things. He was a heavy equipment equipment and diesil mechanic for 40 plus years, and spent several years as x-ray tech on pipeline. He had at least 2 of everything when it came to tools. And then, finding the boxes of the things I had no idea he had saved; letters from us boys when we were young, newspaper articles, graduation and marraige invitations and etc.
Kyle T., your right, I laugh and cry at the same time. Maybe you all know this, but I was really close to dad and thought I knew everything about him, but I'm seeing that there are still things I'm learning about The Man.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm with you Del. Whenever I'm out in the garage or hangar trying to find a tool for some task.... and I come across one of my Dad's tools to use...I can't help but tear-up and say aloud, "Thank you, Dad."

Despite our most-cognizant efforts, We never know what we have...until we lose it. :cry:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Del, sorry for your loss. Sounds like your Dad was a neat guy and you two had a special relationship. That's a treasure you can carry.

I know how you feel and what you experience. I too lost my Dad last September. Tonight I was working on an Isetta projet that was his and when I saw several of his "fixes" I could only laugh -- then cry a bit. The stuff they do that use to make you mad now makes you wish you still could experience just that.

Keep on keeping on and thinking of your dad.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005