Mogas and a "no fly" winter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ronjenx

Mogas and a "no fly" winter

Post by ronjenx »

Because of personal schedules, and circumstances at the airport, we won't be able to fly the 170 until May (hangared). The tanks are full of mogas, with a small percentage of 100LL. What are our options to ensure the fuel will be OK in May?
I did a search and found sta-bil may not be a good idea.
GAHorn

Re: Mogas and a "no fly" winter

Post by GAHorn »

Drain the fuel into a container (thru the gascolator may be the easiest method) and use it in your tractor, etc. Fill the aircraft with avgas. (Not being didactic. Only giving what I truly believe to be the best advice.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ronjenx

Post by ronjenx »

gahorn wrote:Drain the fuel into a container (thru the gascolator may be the easiest method) and use it in your tractor, etc. Fill the aircraft with avgas. (Not being didactic. Only giving what I truly believe to be the best advice.)
Ya, I knew the right thing wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. There is a slight chance to fly off some of the mogas in a week or so. The town hasn't been keeping up with the snow plowing at the airport.
Thanks for making me look up the word "didactic".
ginbug92b

Post by ginbug92b »

I know everybody wants to be safe and I don't want to sound like I'm a careless person. I have used car gas exclusively for 30+ years without ANY problem what so ever. I am still getting alcohol free car gas now. I buy it in bulk and sometimes it has taken me more than a year to use it up before getting another load. I do not have my 170 on skis and it is now sitting in the back of the hanger behind my supercub which is on skis. The 170 is full of car gas and when the snow is gone I will have NO qualms about firing it up and flying it this spring. I do check things out and so far I have never found any water or contaminates in the strainers or the carb. Both planes start better on car gas (winter and summer) and run better (no bad mag checks or plug fouling). I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm tired of people always bad mouthing car gas. If you don't want to use it, fine. As far as I'm concerned as long as it's alcohol free it is better for these 80 oct. engines than avgas that has 4 times the lead than these engines were certified for. If I were you I wouldn't worry about the gas in the tanks sitting over the winter. Just my humble opinion.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Where do you find alcohol free mogas?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

ginbug92b,

Right on ! I've used mogas for years and have never had any problem with it going bad within a year. Even with it containing 5% alcohol here in California.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Mogas will go bad sooner than 100LL, BUT, it will go bad much slower the colder it is. I would worry more about the plane sitting thru a hot summer than a cold winter. I used it exclusively for 10 years back in the leaded regular days and never had any problems. George is correct though, if you want to ensure everything will be ok in the spring, drain or use the mogas and refill with 100LL for storage.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170 at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

voorheesh wrote:Where do you find alcohol free mogas?
South Dakota has it.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It sure is a shame there are no airplanes in South Dakota.
BL
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Was talking to my Nephews father in law in California. He delivers gas to service stations and farmers bulk tanks, and if I understood him right the California gas is so bad that if it is not used up in about a week cars will not run on it. Says it gets milky looking and he has to pump the tanks out and take it back to the plant to be cleaned up. I may want to move a old truck and then let it sit for a year or so down there and am wondering if a excess of water was added to the gas would it pull out the alcohol to where it could be drained off? Any bright ideas?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

blueldr wrote:It sure is a shame there are no airplanes in South Dakota.
The real shame is that California thinks it's so special that it deserves its own blend of gas.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Certain areas of Texas (all of them rural) still receive auto gas sans ethanol. I consider it safe enough to use in my lawn mower. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

blueldr wrote:It sure is a shame there are no airplanes in South Dakota.

60 above zero...Floridians turn on the heat, South Dakota people plant gardens
50 above zero...Californians Shiver uncontrollably, People in South Dakota sun bathe
40 above zero...Foriengn cars don't start, People in South Dakota go to town in their GMC pickup with the windows down
20 above zero...Californians don coats, thermo underwear, wool gloves and hats, People in S.D. put on a flannel shirt.
0..................People in Miami all die, S.D. people have their last cook out b/4 it gets cold.
20 below zero... Washington D.C. runs out of hot air, People in S.d. let their dogs sleep inside.
40 below zero... Santa moves to S.D. and we fly around with car gas in our planes all day........ :lol:

Bring your iceskate to Duluth this summer I'm sure we be able to find a patch of ice to play hockey on somewhere........ :D
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Be careful now -- there are Canadians listening.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

gahorn wrote:Drain the fuel into a container (thru the gascolator may be the easiest method) and use it in your tractor, etc. Fill the aircraft with avgas. (Not being didactic. Only giving what I truly believe to be the best advice.)
As I peruse this thred I can not prevaricate, and I concur with George's disquisition :D ..............ie burn it in the tractor. I burn 87 oct car gas all the time in my airplane. I do get it fresh often. I do have a 300 gal barrel on the farm that I use in my gas tractor and even though it will sit all winter and come spring the tractor fires right up and I use the rest of the barrel, I don't think I would put that in my plane.

I just had to have alittle fun with George....... :wink:
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC