Cost for a used mccaulley prop and 0-300D with 350 SMOH?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cfiatzph

Cost for a used mccaulley prop and 0-300D with 350 SMOH?

Post by cfiatzph »

Hi all,

I was looking for a friend for a mccaulley prop (can be used) and a 0-300D with 350SMOH. He wants to know what something like this would run. About $8000 for the engine or so or is that too much?

Thanks
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

It depends on the condition of everything. Is it a sea plane prop or a standard prop. Is the propeller on its last recondition or has it never seen a file.
The engine i think it would depend on as well. I think a 350hrs smoh with new cylinders at overhaul, overhauled by a reputable shop with tags for all the installed parts or other documentation. Does it have ACC with overhauled or new documentation at overhaul. Ohhh and when was the date of the overhaul 350hrs ago 25 years back or a couple years ago. I think if it met all those conditions on the positive side it would be worth much more then 8k if not then maybe a bit less.
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

They were new milliniums, it has rebuild bendix mags, rebuild carb. Its just a regular prop that was purchased new.

Thanks
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sounds like you need to be buying that engine/prop.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

It sound like a pretty good deal. You might want to ask why it's for sale.

Miles
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

I think I totatally screwed up my orginal message. I am trying to sell this to a friend, but I don't know what it is resonably worth. My plan is to bring the aircraft down for some serious (sheet metal-work) and then sell the engine prop and over the next few years do a 180 hp or 210 or 220 hp upgrade. Anybody know what I should be charging for the engine as a whole and the prop (seperately)? Thanks Sorry for the crappy explanation initially.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you're giving/selling it to a "friend"...it depends upon how much you value the friendship as to what you charge him. This engine has a per-hour value of about $10/hr. A zero SMOH engine (exchange, no accys) is worth about $18,000. A mid-life engine is worth about $9K, exchange. Core value is about $2K-$4K depending upon mod status. IMHO

(Please observe our rules regarding non members advertising here. This msg very closely resembles the sort of "question' that some participants practice to get around the rules,... "Hey, I've got a gizmo for sale, but don't know what to ask for it!"....but you're not a new-comer to our forums so you have a bit more credibility than most. Consider joining!) :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

cfiatzph wrote:...Anybody know what I should be charging for the engine as a whole and the prop (seperately)? ...
I recently sold a servicable McCauley model 1A170, 7651 propeller as is, where is, for $800. I think both of us were satisfied with the deal.

Miles
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Miles,

I would have been twice as satisfied for half that price. If my additional satisfaction would let you sleep any better, just mail me a check.
BL
cessna170bdriver

So, you would have been INFINITELY satisifed had I GIVEN it to you? :lol: We can work the trade in reverse anytime you want, providing you don't bend it. :wink:

Miles