2008 Calendar Photos

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

2008 Calendar Photos

Post by doug8082a »

OK everyone... time to start thinking about photos for the 2008 calendar. The deadline for all submissions is mid-September in order to get better pricing on printing the calendar. So, please condsider sending me any photos you think are worth seeing on the calender.

Any and all settings/configurations are welcome and encouraged: On gear, skis, floats, in flight, parked, on snow, on water, etc. Also need pics of all models: Ragwing, A, B.

Remember, high-resolution digital pics are best. They need to have a resolution of at least 300 dpi when sized to 11" x 8.5" in order for the printer to be able to use them. I have the software to resize pics and preserve resolution so if I receive a high-res pic that is smaller than 11 x 8.5 I can probably work with it, but their are limitations.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding size/resolution/usability of your pics. The easiest way to see if it will work is to send it to me.

Break out those cameras, folks! It's still winter so how about some ski pics!
Doug
pif_sonic

Post by pif_sonic »

Do you have to be a member to submit a photo?
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
Abe

Post by Abe »

Wayne, next time I come to Baker City I'm going to twist your arm until you join...I thought with George's earlier comment that you had joined...now I know for sure the coffee is on you (if you're not already a member)...Also, I'm ready for that flight any time, I just got my oil changed and she's ready to go....Name the place...
Bill
'52 170B
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

pif_sonic wrote:Do you have to be a member to submit a photo?
Nope. This is my own personal project and I make no distinction between member and non-member when selecting photos or selling the calendar. In fact, there are two pics in the 2007 calendar from a non-member. Like the association itself, all are welcome.

Frankly, the two biggest factors in selecting photos are image quality (blurry photo, image size, resolution, light refracting off the camera lens, etc.) and overall composition (setting, lighting (too little or too much), shadows, or anything in the background that takes away from the photo (like, say Porta-johns or a person who should probably wear suspenders because their pants won't stay up) ).

I donate the proceeds from the calendar to the association (which we all benefit from directly or indirectly), but that is my choice and membership has no bearing on how photos are selected.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

doug8082a wrote: Frankly, the two biggest factors in selecting photos are image quality ... or anything... like ...a person who should probably wear suspenders because their pants won't stay up) ).
Doug, can you tell me the name/address of your lawyer? :lol:
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote:
doug8082a wrote: Frankly, the two biggest factors in selecting photos are image quality ... or anything... like ...a person who should probably wear suspenders because their pants won't stay up) ).
Doug, can you tell me the name/address of your lawyer? :lol:
He moves around a lot. He doesn't have a permanent address. I continue to heed his advice, however, and avoid anything remotely PC (Plumber's Crack). :lol:
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

By the way... I hope the Bush/Backcountry folks haven't felt slighted. The reason there haven't been any bush plane photos is, until yesterday, no one sent me any. So, if you want to see, say a shot of a 170 bush-plane with 31" tundra tires landing on a gravel bar on the Wannahockaloogie River in the 2008 calendar, send me some photos. I know I'd like to see them and I'm sure others would as well.
Doug
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

doug8082a wrote:By the way... I hope the Bush/Backcountry folks haven't felt slighted. The reason there haven't been any bush plane photos is, until yesterday, no one sent me any. So, if you want to see, say a shot of a 170 bush-plane with 31" tundra tires landing on a gravel bar on the Wannahockaloogie River in the 2008 calendar, send me some photos. I know I'd like to see them and I'm sure others would as well.
How 'bout a 170 with 7.00 tires landing in a haystack near the Athabasca River? 8O :lol:
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Well, I can't guarantee it'll be in the calendar, but I wouldn't mind seeing the photo. :D
Doug
johneeb

DST

Post by johneeb »

Doug,
What with all the attention that the early (three weeks) change over to Day Light Savings Time is getting in the press I thought I ought to make a note to myself. I went to my 2007 Cessna 170 picture calandar and low and behold the March 11th date box already has a reminder notation for the time change. Is this a great calandar or what? Thanks! :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Re: DST

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:Doug,
What with all the attention that the early (three weeks) change over to Day Light Savings Time is getting in the press I thought I ought to make a note to myself. I went to my 2007 Cessna 170 picture calandar and low and behold the March 11th date box already has a reminder notation for the time change. Is this a great calandar or what? Thanks! :D
Yah but May 22 is STILL hardly even mentioned!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

OK, ok, ok.... Maybe I'll put up a poll re: George's b-day.

Speaking of b-days... when was the Association formed? I know it was 1969, but what is the exact date?
Doug
iowa

Post by iowa »

hi doug
do you suppose a blown up picture of my avatar
would be a canidate for the calendar?
also, i received my issue of the 170 quarterly magazine.
maybe there, if your are short of pictures?
just a thot, my feelings woudn't be hurt if no.
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

That's a great photo! YES! Send me a copy - hi-res if possible.
Doug
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Hey IOWA, you ought to bring that bird to Petit Jean! That way we could see it IN PERSON :wink:

We're trying to get a bunch from MN again to fly down. We could pick you up on the way.

Plus it would be another way to prove (disprove?) all those stories about those red airplanes being slower. :twisted:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005