A different type of landing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

A different type of landing

Post by ghostflyer »

yesterday while landing at Gympie airport in Queensland ,Australia, I was approaching high with all flap out and a head wind of 10 kts. I always wheel them on , the stall warning was just started to make a noise as the right hand main touched and then the right hand main then lifted about 5 ft in the air with the left hand main hitting hard enough to bounce back into the air with tail of the aircraft violent ly raised about 45degs in the air. There was no response from the ailerons and a little response from the elevators. It's time for a go round . Max power and some response from the controls .Staggered back into the air trying to dump flap and maintain control. This runway is uphill about 4degs .I noticed out of the corner of my eye the windsock rotating around the pole. Extended nearly horizontal. What the ??????&&&&$$$, is going on ? Some one on the ground saw my "landing" and radioed that a clear air whirlwind had blasted through . that goodness the next landing was text book as now there was a audience. I can't not recommend the experience.
N2255D

Re: A different type of landing

Post by N2255D »

Sounds rather exciting. I think I'll leave those to you. I've had a few but nothing like you describe. You followed the Golden rule, Fly the plane no matter how bad it seems.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Well in the desert we call them thermals or dust devels. A very common phenomenon with warm air current rising. Only thing is that you would experience them rotating in the opposite direction then we do up here in the US.
Here is a very mild example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRT60-kw78

Here is a good example of a strong one at 2006 Burningman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLCJFbABgg
One of the big hazards of flying in the desert when the thermal goes straight down the runway. The dust often disappears and it is violent and clear air. Nemesis of taildraggers. Great reason to do wheel landings with flaps 2nd notch instead of full. Glad your ok. I cant tell you how many times we have to wipe taildraggers up fom the side of the runway in the summer months. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
170C

Post by 170C »

Doug, I have never seen anything like the first one. That looked as if the wind was playing with a very large bit of sheet or fabric. What was it? Here in Texas it is not unusual during the summer months, especially when its dry--which is most of the time, to see dust devils or as we called them, whirlwinds. They remind me of very weak tornadoes as they pick up dust, small gravel, trash, etc. and relocate it. I have had the occasion to be driving and run into them and the wind is quite strong in the larger ones and can almost blind one with all the dust. Also have been hit by them while operating tractors on the farm. When I see them while flying I give them plenty of space as they are capable of ruining ones day.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Yes, the first one was where the air reached the trigger temperature. Thermals start out as rising bubbles of air. As the temp increases the air bubbles enjoin each other and the thermals get stronger and rise quicker. The reason why I showed the first one was because this one happened over a field. It is an example where even vegetation can cause thermals to occur. Generally they can occur anywhere but they are more pronounced and defined in dry dusty areas. The first one was great because it had just reached the trigger temp and the plastic is very light. The second one is so much fun to fly gliders in. I guess the most important take away from this is that a pilot especially a tailwheel pilot should always make an approach to a planned Go-around with an occasional landing. That mindset will never allow you to become complacent with mother nature no matter what your aircraft configuration is. Those are my words to instruct and live by. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
pdb

Post by pdb »

The thing to remember about thermals is that if they are triggering on or near your landing site, they can cause all sorts of nasty turbulence. As the thermal lifts, air will come laterally from all directions towards the spot from which the thermal is lifting off, to replace the rising air.

Just go around and wait a few minutes for the thermal to drift downwind, clear of the field, and try landing again.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg