Best Austin FBO

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

Best Austin FBO

Post by gparker »

Im going to fly a few friends to Austin, Tx this weekend, where they have a condo downtown. What is the best FBO at KAUS? We will need to rent a car as well. Would they new airport be better? Looks to be a little far from downtown.

Thanks,
Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Re: Best Austin FBO

Post by GAHorn »

Greg, the airport situation in Austin just sucks.

The city closed the fantastic old Mueller airport located adjacent to downtown which had fine GA facilities and FBOs...and took over the old Bergstrom Air Base and converted it to a large city airline airport and terminal. They demonstrated a complete disregard for small airplanes and allowed two high-dollar FBOs (Signature and Atlantic to have virtual control over GA. Of course, those guys are only interested in large corporate turbines and charge ramp fees. The management at Atlantic is much kinder/considerate of small airplanes. John is the mgr and may be accomodating if you are willing to park yourself over amongst all the other tied-down singles on his south ramp area.

AS for the new "Executive" airport...I cannot say as I've not had the opportunity to visit it, but the same owner also developed Houston Executive KTME and he's reputed not to be especially welcoming to small airplanes.

The best fuel is Taylor, Tx about 20 miles north, and Jan 28 is our 170 fly-in there for BBQ. Any chance you could do this another weekend than THIS one? Here's why:

What are your exact plans for arrival/departure? I'd love to offer you my place to land and my car to run into town (45 min drive) but I'm down to one car since Jamie hit a deer and hers is undriveable/in the shop, I'm only around on Fri/Sat, and it looks like it's a busy weekend for me as family will be there for a late Xmas exchange with a single-parent grandchild who was with the other side during the holidays...and on Friday I'm going to have to put my beloved labrador Roulette down due to old age, and bury her. She's miserable and cannot move without pain/difficulty. :cry:

Any other weekend I can be much more accomodating and helpful (free hangar, food, lodging, car.) :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

George-------sorry to hear about Roulette :( We all enjoyed the times we were around her.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
gparker

Post by gparker »

George, first let me offer my sympathy about your sweet dog. Hate to hear that.

Thank you as well for your gracious offer for the landing site and transportation. But it looks like this weekend is about the only time that we can go because of work, etc. Besides, we are going to be flying a seven-place plane made by that company whose name starts with "P", and I would hate to kill whatever grass you may have left by letting that inferior product touch down at your place. I was going to take the 170 but I couldn't convince the kids or the wives to ride on the struts. We will be seven in all.

But I would like to visit one day. I was in Georgetown to buy a 182 for my Dad recently and thought about looking you up, but time was short.

Thanks for the good advice about the FBOs too. If the weather is good and we make the trip, I'll let you know how it goes. And maybe I can make it back soon. I am a Native Texan and it always feels good to be on Texas soil.

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks for the kind words about my fourlegged child. She's been a real sweetheart. If she knows what you want done...she invariably would strive to do it.

As for landing a Porterfield at my place...
porterfield.jpg
....I can't forsee any problem at all. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know how you feel. :( This past fall we lost our child cat who lacked one month of being nineteen years old.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
gparker

Post by gparker »

We ended up going through Altantic at Austin-Bergstrom, and I was pleased. I was treated just as nicely as the owner of the G-V we parked next to. I bought just enough fuel to get the parking fees waved and to make me feel that I wasn't mooching on their hospitality. My passengers were very impressed when we walked fifty feet from the plane to the Suburban we rented thought the FBO. May have some new general aviation converts. The staff were great and very helpful.
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA