Convention Attendance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Convention Attendance

Post by Harold Holiman »

I am just curious as to how many I170A annual Conventions users of this forum have attended in the past. Carolyn and myself have attended eleven and enjoyed each one very much (except the three days I had to spend in the San Diego Hospital) while everyone else was having a great time in San Diego. Every convention has something different to offer and I always meet at least a few new people at each convention. :D
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Convention Attendance

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've been to the last nine straight. My wife Teresa missed one of them. I've only flown my 170 to the 03 Wilmington, NC, 05 Dearborn, MI, 08 Branson, 09 Duluth, MN and 10 St. Joseph, MI conventions how ever.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

We flew our plane to six conventions, drove our motor home to four conventions, and took the train to one convention.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
170C

Post by 170C »

Harold, Becky and I have attended 17 conventions so far and Ole Pokey made it to 16 of those (didn't fly it to Anchorage). I hope to make a lot more.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KG

Post by KG »

I have not attended a convention primarily because they are held in the middle of the summer. Neither I nor my 170 fly well in 100 degree temps. I would be more likely to attend a spring or fall convention.
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

KG wrote:I have not attended a convention primarily because they are held in the middle of the summer. Neither I nor my 170 fly well in 100 degree temps. I would be more likely to attend a spring or fall convention.
Understandable, I don't like 100 degree temps either and it is one of the times I make an exemption and fly higher where it is cooler. While the trend might be changing considering attendance in the last few years, the conventions were held when school was out because many kids came along with their parents.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KG

Post by KG »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
KG wrote:I have not attended a convention primarily because they are held in the middle of the summer. Neither I nor my 170 fly well in 100 degree temps. I would be more likely to attend a spring or fall convention.
Understandable, I don't like 100 degree temps either and it is one of the times I make an exemption and fly higher where it is cooler. While the trend might be changing considering attendance in the last few years, the conventions were held when school was out because many kids came along with their parents.
I assumed that school vacation was a primary reason for the summer conventions. I agree that they should be held when the majority who want to attend are able and that is probably summer for most folks. A spring or fall convention would certainly exclude some kids and I wouldn't want to do that. There aren't enough young folks getting into aviation as it is. Sometime in the next couple of years I'll make it to one, summer or not. :D
53 170B
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

KG,

I don't know where you are from, but this summer should be a good convention to try for your first, since it should be very cool flying in Colorado.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Harold Holiman wrote:it should be very cool flying in Colorado.
Well ... Longmont is on the high plains and it gets pretty hot here on summer afternoons. Hot with low humidity, good chance of an afternoon thunderstorm, cooling off nicely at night. If you're flying in you should plan a morning arrival. Mornings are normally cool, smooth, and beautiful. By midafternoon the thermal turbulence out on the eastern plains of CO will be pretty unpleasant. I would also avoid afternoon mountain flying.

Not trying to discourage anyone, just want to give you all the best chance at a great visit!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Yes, flying into that part of Colorado on a July afternoon can involve some heavy turbulence, to the point that on one such trip I elected to put it down in Wyoming and rent a car for the rest of the trip. Thunderstorms can really build up in the afternoons there, and the general rule is to remain at least 20 miles away from them, for fear of turbulence, downdrafts and hail.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
rhymes

Post by rhymes »

Kathy and I attended our first Convention in 2010 in Michigan. Last summer in San Diego made #2, and we flew Six Five Charlie to each gathering. It has really changed our concept of owning such a wonderful plane as the 170... and all the nice folks said kind things about our shiny plane, too! :D I hope we don't ever have to miss one!
See you in Colorado... (and a morning arrival sounds prudent!)
Bruce and Kathy Rhymes,
Susanville, CA
N2865C
Bruce & Kathy Rhymes
1954 Cessna 170B
N2865C
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I've attended 23 TIC170A Conventions, the last 21 in a row, every one since Jennings Louisiana in 1991.

Of the 23 I've attended, I flew '98C to 14. Two more I started out in '98C, but had to retreat home and travel via car or airline; once due to weather, once due to a broken airplane enroute. Six more I traveled via car or airline in a more planned manner. Let's see, 14+2+6=22.... Oh yeah, I hosted one. :mrgreen:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Would be nice if someone with computer skills (Bruce :) ) would put a map up with 100 miles circles out from Longmont. Could plan then on where to stop if needed that for that final leg the next morning. Launch at 8 a.m. be in by 10am :D

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

W.J.Langholz wrote:Would be nice if someone with computer skills (Bruce :) ) would put a map up with 100 miles circles out from Longmont. Could plan then on where to stop if needed that for that final leg the next morning. Launch at 8 a.m. be in by 10am :D

W.
Made this at http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=100nm@klmo ... =wls&DU=mi
100, 200, and 300nm rings.
map.gif
I like http://skyvector.com/ to plan the detailed route. We'll most likely use Rand McNally this year though, as we plan to drive so we can do some Rocky Mountain sightseeing the 170 just isn't up to.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Miles and Willi, Thanks for the 100mi ring thoughts/map. I made a quick check looking at routes, stops, etc. from North Georgia. Nothing is firm yet but on first pass, for those of us coming in from an Easterly direction, Goodland, KS (KGLD) looks like a possible rally point for the final leg to Longmont. Last I heard they have a small cafe at the FBO. Hotels are close and my old AOPA Airport Directory said they have a courtesy car. Distance from KGLD to KLMO is +/- 170 NM. Perhaps others might chime in with thoughts or suggestions. Jim
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.