List of new owner's operating essentials

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

List of new owner's operating essentials

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

OK, I can hardly contain my smile. Just accomplished a life long dream as my wife and I are the new owners of a '53B. My question is what things should a new owner have on the "wish list"? Besides tiedowns, oil, cleaning supplies, spare tailwheel tube and a small tool kit (great info found on the site concerning tool kits, by the way!), what other operating essentials do I need?

Kyle Wolfe
N1932C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170B Illustrated Parts Catalog,
100 Series Service Manual, 1962 and Prior,
Owner's Manual,
One-page Approved Flight Manual
Rechargeable Flashlight (plugs into Cigar Lighter, $5 from WalMart automotive dept)
100 #8 nylon washers from Aircraft Spruce (goes under all the PK and MS screws on your cowling and spinner)
Membership in The Int'l Cessna 170 Assoc. (email headquarters@cessna170.org )
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
170C

New 170 Owner

Post by 170C »

George, you forgot one VERY IMPORTANT item. A pocket full of $$$$!!! (grin)

My congratulations to the new airplane owner. Your are in for a lot of fun and will get to meet a lot of interesting folks.

Ole Pokey
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks guys. Already a 170 club member and have used this site extensively. It's great.

Velvet sent a list of places to buy manuals. That will be good. And I've printed off the owners manual for the 56 model under the members section.

How about all the hanger necessities too? Ladder, wax, cleaning supplies, etc. but are there any specialty items that one must have?

My wife is also a pilot but is having a bit of trouble pulling the bird around. Anyone had luck with the taildragger dragger? Or are handles the way to go? Other options?

Thanks again.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I pawned my taildragger towbar off on someone else as soon as I could having gotten frustrated with it after a couple tries. My BAS tail-pull handles are all I need until I can afford a U.S.A.F L-19 towbar and a tug. Anyone know where I can get such a towbar?