Texas Compass Rose

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Texas Compass Rose

Post by counsellj »

Can anyone tell me what airports in SW or W Texas have Compass Roses available for swinging a compass? I know you can swing one without a rose, but I prefer to use one, plus it gives me another excuse to fly to a new airport. Just don't tell my wife I'm purposely looking for lame excuses to fly even more.

Jughead
GAHorn

Re: Texas Compass Rose

Post by GAHorn »

The 99's have a national project underway for several years in which they mark compass roses at various airports as their gift. San Antonio Int'l has one on taxiway "A" right smack in the middle of the airport. It can be seen in the following airport diagragm.
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1002/00369AD.PDF

Kate Craddock Field, Burnet, TX also has one, and the FBO will loan a car to eat at local restaraunts.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBMQ

While I'm at it, I'll post a link to the U.S. Airport Facilities Directory. Unfortunately they list every detail about an airport except whether it has a compass rose.
http://www.naco.faa.gov/afd.asp?cycle=a ... 10#results
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I think the "99s" got into the compass rose thing because their idol, Amelia, apparently got lost.

An interesting thing about the 99s is how few of them seem to actually know who was really the first woman to fly around the world and she did it solo,
without a professional navigator, not in a multi engineed airliner but in a little old general aviation type C-180.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr wrote:An interesting thing about the 99s is how few of them seem to actually know who was really the first woman to fly around the world and she did it solo,
without a professional navigator, not in a multi engineed airliner but in a little old general aviation type C-180.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v6fYsKlSkI

http://www.three-eightcharlie.com/

Jerrie Mock's 1953 C-180 N1538C is hanging in the Smithsonian Institution's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport.
IMG_0313_1_1.JPG
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

All the 99's I've met knew/know far more about women in aviation than virtually any men do. Our own Louise Bickford is a 99 and is one of our most active, and energetic State Rep's.

(Maybe bluEldr just finds himself attracted to the dumb ones.) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

True. Jerrie Mocks '53 C-180 is hanging in the museum at Dulles, but very few of the ladies I've encountered in flying seem to know anything about her.
I do not remember the the EAA ever even mentioning her at any of their functions. Ditto the AOPA. Ditto the WIA. Ditto the 99s.
I wonder how many of our intrepid aviators would strap their butts to a huge tank of gasoline wrapped in a '53 C-180 and depart Honolulu at sundown for a 2400 mile overnight, overocean, flght in a single engine airplane to Oakland, California.
She probably got a lot of her confidence from that first long overwater flight from Bermuda to the Azores. It's a dam sight easier to hit California than one of the islands in the Azores. And this was accomplished before there was any GPS! I my memory serves, she had between seven and eight hundred hours of flying time.----and one helluva lotta guts!
Jerrie Mock would be in her mid eighties now. I just think it would be nice if she were to receive more recognition while she is still living.

I've flown that Honolulu route a good many times, but I always had a four man flight deck crew, a cabin crew of at least four, a hot meal, coffee, and most of all, four big assed Pratt and Whitney, eighteen cylinder, engines singing in concert. That's a helluva lot different. That ocean is one great big lonely place.

P.S. George is right. The citical numbers of the lady aviators I'm attracted to are not neccessarily those of their IQs.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

She had an autopilot, so she could take naps, I would guess. I'm sure she made good use of the ADF too.

Honolulu to Oakland should have been one of the easiest legs. Hard to miss America.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

True. It shouldn't be too difficult to hit the west coast of North America someplace. It's the possibility of an unscheduled night landing en route that would be my principal concern.
True. She certainly did have an auto pilot. Personally, I'm not too hep to getting sack time without a co-pilot while the auto pilot is doing the flying. But tben again, as I said before, this petite lady had plenty of guts.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

She wasn't likely to run into anyone out there while napping.
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

I am very sure that nobody else on this forum has ever taken a nap in their airplane sans autopilot! Heck some have slept halfway home from work on the midnight shift two or three times a week & that's while driving a car solo on two lane roads. 8O
Do unto others............
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Case in point. Last evening I was invited to a hangar BBQ at Rancho Murieta Airport (RIU, to the purists). One of the other guests, sitting adjacent to me, made mention of the fact that she was a local member of the 99s. I asked her if she knew the name of the first woman to pilot an airplane around the world. She quickly replied that it was Amelia.

So much for the 99s!

P.S. The BBQ was really quite good and the company was very congenial. Enjoyed it immensely, except for the fact that since I was riding my trusty Vespa motor scooter, and was twenty miles from home, I had to severely limit my intake of the offered adult beverages.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Zreyn wrote:I am very sure that nobody else on this forum has ever taken a nap in their airplane sans autopilot!
I never take a nap without turning on the autopilot first, but not too much, or she gets distracted and gets off course.
IMG_2359_2_1.JPG
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Richard

That must be a 1 time field approval for that Auto Pilot eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got a model real similar to it!!!!!! Had mine for 27 going on 28 years still is in top shape!!!!!!

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

You really are a sly devil, aren't you Richard!
BL