Oil consumption

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Oil consumption

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Looked through past postings and could not find anything so thought I'd ask. Am looking at a 52B. It has an oil screen - no filter. No visible oil leaks. Just over 300 SMOH. Major is 9 years old. Good compression. Chrome cylinders.

The guy says it uses 1 quart in 5 hours. Should I be concerned? Is this a red flag?

Have talked to one A&P who says Lycoming will tell you a quart in 1 hour is normal. What has been your experience?
hsjrev

Post by hsjrev »

These engines vent so much oil through the crankcase breather that it's hard to say how much it actually "burns". If I fill mine up to the top mark on the dipstick, it will use a quart an hour, if I let it get down to 7 quarts, it hardly uses any at all.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

5 hours per quart seems a little high,but is plenty acceptable as far as Continental is concerned. It might be that they've been trying to keep the oil level too high,as suggested,or maybe those chrome cylinders weren't ever broken-in properly. I know a couple people who've had bad luck trying to get the rings to seat-in with chrome cylinders on a C-145.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to the TCM Overhaul Manual, the maximum allowable oil consumption is .95 lbs per 1/2 hour. (1 qt per hour)
My 400 SMOH O-300 uses 1 qt every 8 hours. I fill it to 8 qts (full) at oil change and add a quart when it gets below 7.