Lycoming O-340 Engine

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Lycoming O-340 Engine

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Brad I don't know as I haven't studied it and to be honest have no desire to. Why by a new Cub for 5 times what you can buy a real Cub for?. The engine would be more interesting to me if it was Lycoming.

The HP restriction might have more to do with the airframe and satisfing the Feds than the engine or prop. Again info was sketchy at best.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
JHKeeton171

Post by JHKeeton171 »

I think the cruise horsepower restriction is due to the fact the airframe it is installed on is licensed in the light sport category and is limited as to it's maximum cruise speed in level flight, or something to that effect. Full rated horsepower is still available for takeoff, climb, go-around etc.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That makes sense. Well sort of. A bit off the subject of the 0-340 but If we open that can of worms the FAA has made out of LSA in this regard. Did they really certify a new plane that people essentially promise to fly within the LSA restrictions but won't allow the same people to take an old airplane in the C120-140 and promise to fly it within the same restrictions. That makes no sense at all but then again we are talking the FAA.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

For whatever the membership might like to think that its worth, I wanted to post some of my experiences with an O-340 powered airplane. The executive summary: very disappointing. Not in flying one -- I haven't been able to find one airworthy yet!

I had been closely eyeing a nice looking 170B in Minnesota. I was in town on other business, and invited a friend of mine who is an IA to do a pre-buy on the airplane with me. Armed with a little knowledge about the Doyne (or Doyn, I've seen it in print both ways) O-340 converstion, we waded into the logbooks. And promptly found a mess. The engine was supposedly less than 50 hours since major, with no yellow tags for new cylinders. The IA who did all the work was the seller's father, and now since passed. The seller wasn't an A&P of any sort, but was clearly doing "owner operator" work and then-some on this airplane and a 180 he had in the hangar as well. He didn't have an FAA pilot certificate either, but the airplane had clearly been flown recently (with fresh bugs and grass stains as evidence). From 20 ft away, this looked like an outstanding airplane and an outstanding deal. It got worse as you got closer. In the wingtips were cut stringers and a shoddy repair from an apparent groundloop. Nothing in the logs about this damage or repair. The airplane had fresh paint covering the repair, as well as a new Horton STOL kit covering the leading edge. You needed to view the metal from the top to see the groundloop wrinkles; pulling off the wingtip showed the rest. At this point (and the better part of a day) we stopped digging. We never made it to the tail nor the interior of the aircraft. The bottom line was that I was willing to forgive the O-340 if that was its only sin. It wasn't. This kind of backyard shady stuff I'd be more inclined to think I'd find here in Alaska, not where I grew up in Minnesota! It was a pity, to be sure.

This was in May of this year. My search for a 170B continues. I drove by an airplane I've seen dozens of times this evening, but tonight I actually SAW it. It had a float kit ... it had bumps on the cowl ... the prop was off; I know the airplane hasn't moved in at least a year. Sure enough, my fears were confirmed: Lycoming O-340. *sigh*
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Technically speaking...."...engine was supposedly less than 50 hours since major, with no yellow tags for new cylinders..." .... is not wrong. The Form 8130-3 "yellow tags" are documentation for installation...not continued airworthiness. The installer should identify the W.O. or Form 8130-3 info in the logs. But I agree with you, if they aren't present it makes me unhappy! The cylinders can be confirmed by serial number with the OEM or overhauler...provided you can figure who that is. (Without those tags that persona is not positively identified...and that is the value of keeping the tags...traceability.)
The FAA allows the reissuance of a lost or damaged Form 8130-3 if the product's status has not changed. Here's a link to one OEM/PMA's requirements (ACSS) to accomplish this.
http://www.acss.com/SiteCollectionDocum ... -19-24.pdf
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Sorry your search for a decent 170 is being less than successful. More and more the "supply" diminishes and those with high quality, well documented, life long care, are at a premium. Did you look at this one? http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=7&t=6574 This 170 belonged to one of our members (deceased) and is one of those "well cared for" numbers.

A little off topic but in browsing through WIKI, the trail of the Lycoming Engine has some interesting lineage , including a link to John Deere! Does "Johnny Popper" come to mind when having to deal with 4 cylinder Lycomings? ? ? Bicycles, Sewing machines and Tractors ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_Engines ) and a LUXURY CAR (now a rare antique collectors dream ! ! !) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velie ) "This coupe also has an option for a Lycoming Straight 8 engine". Also the highly prized "Monocoupe's lineage has it's origins within this company. As anyone having much to do with them will claim, the Moncoupe was way ahead of it's time.

Fun at the PC on a rainy morning!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

flyguy wrote:Sorry your search for a decent 170 is being less than successful. More and more the "supply" diminishes and those with high quality, well documented, life long care, are at a premium. Did you look at this one? http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=7&t=6574 This 170 belonged to one of our members (deceased) and is one of those "well cared for" numbers....
That airplane has a contract-pending upon it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

For the information of the person originally wanting to know about the 0-340, one of our old charter members Berwyn Henderson had one of these years ago. I'm sure he would be willing to share any info on this conversion. He is listed in the directory, currently living in Texas. 817-431-0917

Ed Booth
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
N3454C

Post by N3454C »

I'm sorry I didn't see discussion earlier.

I have been flying my 170B (N3454C) with a Doyne O-340 for some 1,300 hours with absolutely no issues. The Doyne STC includes a constant speed Hartzel propeller, which really makes it perform, but it is an older prop design and has a painful 500 hour AD. My engine was originally married up to my 1954 170B in 1958. It has some 3,300 hours TT on the engine (3,800 on the airframe). I have all the original logs, and it appeared to have gone to full TBO before. I have put all the time on it myself since.

I am happy to provide any information to anyone seeking experience with this modification. I will be in San Diego with 54C this year if anyone want to go for a ride. :D
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

If anyone still needs info on the O-340, I have the means to find out and Bruce, we won't have to use your contact for a middle man. The more specific a question you have , the better I'll be able to give an answer. Feel free to email me @ jrupert@lycoming.com

v/r,
Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366