eAPIS

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

eAPIS

Post by GAHorn »

Well, I did it. I hate bureacracy.

May 18, 2009 is the deadline for pilots leaving/entering the U.S. to utilize the electronic passenger information system operated by "Homeland Security". If you haven't yet registered, you need to do so if you ever intend to cross the border in a private airplane as the pilot.

It is STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID...but we must do it.

First of all, be forewarned that you must remember a password of which they require a particular format that will defy memory. They will also issue you a "user id" that will defy your changing to anything memorable, as well. They will then warn you about how "secret" and "confidential" you must keep this information...under threat of Federal prosecution.... which they send to you in an ordinary, open email that any high-school geek can hack.

The link to register is so buried in electronic bureacracy that you will be pizzed off to the point of revolution, so I am going to give you the direct-link to at least get started with enrollement. Try to remain calm while you do this. Enjoy it as a tutorial on how to develop your own bureacracy should you ever find yourself tapped by the authorities to fill in as a stand-in bureacrat. (especially enjoy the password-format they will require you to top-double-secret-remember):
https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/

If you want to have the full-benefit of higher-blood-pressure, then don't use the above link. Instead use the "HOME" page link and try to find your way to the enrollment page on your own. (By the way, this is also the link which you will use in the future to actually access the system..after you have registered.):
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspe ... system.xml
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: eAPIS

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George, your not saying that we must register by May 18th in order to ever fly outside the US and back. What I understand you wrote is that registration will be closed on the 18th and if you ever want to fly outside the US you need to register before then.

I believe that after May 18th prior to flying out and or back into the US you will have to register and use the system. So if I should decide to fly to Canada say in 2010 I'll have to register before and use the system for the flight.

Am I wrong?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce, you are correct. The announcements made over the internet today were announcing the END of VOLUNTARY participation. After May 18, all pilots transiting the border are REQUIRED to have registered and used the eAPIS system.

What I should have said is: "May 18, 2009 is the deadline for pilots leaving/entering the U.S. to utilize the electronic passenger information system operated by "Homeland Security" to do so without having registered. If you haven't yet registered,and intend to cross the border after May 18, you need to do so if you ...<deleted>... intend to cross the border in a private airplane as the pilot."

If you wait until you need it you will likely be very disgusted and troubled by the system, therefore I recommend anyone anticipating future travel across the border register now and obtain a user id and password. (Maybe the system will go into overload and shut down.) :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:.....I recommend anyone anticipating future travel across the border register now and obtain a user id and password. (Maybe the system will go into overload and shut down.) :wink:
I had the same thought about the system overloading. :)

170C

Post by 170C »

So George, is your understanding that if we register as you have mentioned that we won't have to register later on (2010 or thereafter ) unless they change the rules? Talk about a bunch of bunk :evil: :evil: Big Brother is moving into our lives under the guize of saving us from the bad guys. Hate to tell them, but I think the bad guys already won. However, I think I will go ahead and do the registration thing.
Talking to my bride tonight & she said she has to now have a background check done, at her expense, in order to continue as a substitute teacher. Some new rule the state of Texas has come up with. She has been substituting for a lot of yrs and now they need to ck her background :?: If they find out she's married to a pilot (and me) they may disqualify her :!: :!: :!: :!: I might fly my plane into the Glenrose ice-cream parlor as a terrier. (Guess I shouldn't say things like that. BB might be watching and come knocking on my door.) And we thought 1984 & Hal was just a movie 8O
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N171TD

Post by N171TD »

Please delete your comment. Don't want you in trouble even though we know you are kidding.
Our 172/170 or a 171 is known as tweener
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Well, I thought I'd check it out. When I clicked the "Enroll" button, I got this:
This webpage is not available.

The webpage at https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/eapisenroll/e ... enrollment might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 320 (net::ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE): Unknown error.
Maybe it's already overloaded! Or gone to an undisclosed location....

John
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Yep, the deadline was mentioned in AvWeb today, so I guess everyone is jumping on the bandwagon at once. :roll:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

170C wrote: If they find out she's married to a pilot (and me) they may disqualify her :!: :!: :!: :!:
How long have you known she's been married to a pilot as well as you? Maybe a background check is in order. :twisted:

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:
170C wrote: If they find out she's married to a pilot (and me) they may disqualify her :!: :!: :!: :!:
How long have you known she's been married to a pilot as well as you? Maybe a background check is in order. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WHOOOOOEEEEEeeeeeee......!!!!! (GOOD one, Bruce!)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ina and I flew a C-206 to Alaska for the owner in April. I registered with eAPIS and jumped thru all their b.s. hoops and made good and well sure everything was in order, which it was. I followed the procedures upon re-entering the USA into Alaska. When we landed in Northway, the Customs officer had no idea how to access the system to obtain my arrival report and disputed my word that I had even filed the arrival report. The problem was he did not know how to work their own system. It was not until I produced my arrival report confirmation number that he admitted he really did not know how to even access the system much less how to determine whether or not I had filed a report to start with. Your tax dollars at work. Yep, we sure do need more government.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!