Rigging

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Naa.... it has a stabilator!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

mrpibb wrote:Yeah but the piper was trimmed for slow flight. As for the calender might have to wait for the paint, and wings to come back.
That's fine. As long as I can get the pic before mid-September we'll be fine.
Doug
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

That's fine. As long as I can get the pic before mid-September we'll be fine

You know how them newenglander are, min's are hours, hours are day's and days could be weeks. But to be honest my buddy's been getting slammed with work ever since moving his shop to Hampton airfield. Ironic enough they are 170's.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
tshort

Post by tshort »

I'll see if I can get some pics of '49V at some of the summer fly ins this year.

T.
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks Tom! Photos of '48s always seem to be in short supply.
Doug
steve grewing

Elevator

Post by steve grewing »

For what it's worth, belatedly, here is mine cruising at 110 MPH true; ~1950 lbs; CG ~ 43.3. I sometimes wondered about this also but the plane is rigged correctly so I wrote it off to design.

[img][img]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/613/11 ... eftmn4.jpg[/img][/img]

Steve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I really respect WD Thompson. Can never hope to have the experience and knowlege he had acquired about this (and other) Cessnas. But I think his description of the tail-rigging on the 170 was an unfortunate choice of words.

The tail of conventional airplanes provides "downward" lift. (It makes a downward force on the fuselage to offset the CG which is forward of the Center of Lift (CL) of the airplane. The Cessna 170 was a development out of the 140...except with a heavier engine and a longer cabin to accomodate a rear seat and baggage compartment. A CG farther forward was anticipated for this airplane....and therefore a greater downward force was anticipated as being required of the tail. (Remember, the early tail had slightly less area than the later tail....and the metal wing was anticipated as being heavier than the ragwing....and with a still further forward CG resulting. On top of that the metal wing got more fuel as well. And...the L-19 was already well in development and it shared common components with the B model tail.... so making an incidence change became an issue of economics.)
The metal wing turned out to be almost 20 lbs lighter than the rag wing (due to no need for internal bracing.) And the CL of the NACA 2400 series airfoil was further aft than the ragwing.
The angle of incidence of the horiz. stabilizer was already set...for the L-19.... it was slightly negative for the 170A/B... and the easy fix was to adjust the elevator rigging.
It may have been that the negative angle of incidence was helpful to the landing of the lighter 170 (as opposed to the wider envelope of the L-19). But I believe it more correct to blame the simple economics of using common production jigs, than to conjecture that a drag-inducing design-change was deliberately and consciously made in order to overcome a fwd CG when lightly loaded.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dward

Post by Dward »

Man, all you need is a set of wheel pants and that Piper would be eating dust. 8)
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher