Landing Gear

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Landing Gear

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

At the risk of adding fuel to a fire, I have heard from people who have swapped gear or bought later aircraft because they had not attained the skill level to consistently land the early gear nicely. They admit that.

It was not their thing to overcome which they no doubt could probably do should they choose to do it. But instead they elected to swap to another gear. No shame, it's just different strokes for different folks. I think anyone, should they want to do so, can land the early gear.

Now want to tackle something special try early gear and cross wind gear. There are only two nuts around that I know doing it and the other nut is better at it than I am. I just haven't achieved his level of skill and may never do so.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
thuds36

Post by thuds36 »

The O-1E/F/G's[USAF-FAC's] ie, somewhat repurposed 170's and slightly reconfigured from their original venue w the US Army and Marines in my time at Holley Fld, FL in the mid "60"s had their cross wind capabilities eliminated w installation of phenolic blocks in the gear. GONE. Given to understand same in SE Asia. Few time we removed same sustained a few wing tips abrasions. Fun a/c to work on.
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

I shot this video last weekend and it shows how springy the gear is on my 170A. Camera is mounted on the belly. Took off from a hard surface but made a couple landings on grass. I'm a new pilot so my landings are a mixed bag - but I am having fun!
https://vimeo.com/131300784
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
170C

Post by 170C »

Your landing gear is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. As a new pilot you will polish your technique on approach speeds, etc. Hang in there, more take off and landing practice----less GoPro attention!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Andre_C

Post by Andre_C »

Great video!!! I need to find a strip like that near my place. :D
1953 C170B N3276A