Wheel Covers/Hubcaps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Wheel Covers/Hubcaps

Post by 170C »

Need some direction. I lost a hubcap earlier this week and I think it was primarily due to a loose screw and a hard landing. What is the best way to repair one of the screw holes in Cleveland wheels where the threads appear to be worn out or stripped? Also anyone out there with an odd hubcap lying around you don't need or a set you would sell cheap?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
learaviator

Re: Wheel Covers/Hubcaps

Post by learaviator »

I just last week was asked this and after looking in the Cleveland Technicians. Guide and the Cleveland Component Service Manual, I found no reference to repairing those holes. They do make Helicoils Kits for 10-32 and 8-32, or you could call 800-braking ( Cleveland Wheels Tech Line) They have been very helpful to me in the past.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frank,
"Helicoil".
BL
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

To repair with a helicoil you must drill oversize bigger than simply rethread to the next size screw.
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I cut off the end of a zip tie and wedged it in the hole with the screw. Easier, but less elegant than a helicoil.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

JB weld and retap
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Depending upon what size screw was originally used...

First Choice: Sell or donate your hubcaps in TradeMart.

Second Choice: Install wheel fairings.

Third Choice: Drill and Tap to the next oversized screw. (If sufficient wheel material remains in screw "boss" area.)

Fourth Choice: Helicoil (Threaded Insert) and reinstall original sized screw.

Fifth Choice: JB Weld and re-tap.

Finally: When completed....Paint your wheels GREEN so they'll turn sufficiently slow as to avoid throwing hubcaps.

:twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

I had this same problem a while ago. The cleveland wheels have pretty shallow threaded holes which only go about 1/2 way through the rim. I de-aired the tired and drilled/tapped the hole deeper. I put in a longer screw that goes in just short of all the way. I never thought I was over-tightening these but apparently I did. Doesn't take much on aluminum. I've also had really good luck with MarineTex in other applications. It's like JB Weld but is stronger and is meant for filling and re-tapping holes.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Due to the conditions that I land (sand , marsh water , and fine red dust ) and not being able to find the right hub caps I made my own out of 32 thou sheet aluminium . The hub caps are flat and extend slightly over size of the hub to the point they just touch the tire . The edges are polished round . I do not get any contaminates in the outer bearing at all and now wish to work something out where the inner bearing has a better seal than the felt seal that's fitted . .
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

You can buy new aluminum ones, can't remember where I bought them but seems like it was Wag-Aero.

Joe
170C

Post by 170C »

After flying for years without hubcaps I had a friend cut me two flat ones from a sheet of aluminum and I used them for more years. Then on year when I was having my annual done I mentioned hubcaps to my IA who told me he had a set of the ones like you can purchase in vrs places. I gave him $25.00 and all went well until last week when that one loose screw apparently helped by a not so nice landing :evil: caused the hubcap to depart from the wheel and I was told by the airport folks where that occurred that it was bent pretty bad. I still have one of the flat caps (don't know what has happened to the other one :( ). I did check Aircraft Spruce and I am not too eager to pay what they are asking for them. I will check Wag & a few others, but will likely just get another flat one made and be done with it. I did see flat ones on Craigslist for about $33.00, but I can make one for a lot less. Thanks for all the suggestions.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Post by 170C »

Checked Wag-Aero and their plastic caps (in last yrs catalog) were $7.50 ea---not bad for plastic. I was working on the plane today when my next door/hangar neighbor popped in and asked what I was doing. I explained and he went back to his hangar and returned with an almost new pair of aluminum hubcaps. He has fenders/panties on his single place, bi-wing homebuilt and said he will never use them. Wouldn't take anything for them. Said that is what neighbors are for :D Aren't airplane folks great :!: Now I have to find a way to do something for him :) Just goes to prove that clean living provides its rewards :roll: Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while. Now to determine how to repair some screw holes :?

George, they are painted white, as my others were/are. Afraid to paint them green as they would spin so fast they both would probably sling off. I'd paint them red to cure that problem, but red doesn't blend with GREEN too well :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Post by 170C »

As a follow up on the hubcap screw hole repairs, I just talked to a person at Parker Hannifin (Cleveland) regarding this issue. He said they do not have any "official" repair procedures for screw holes that may be stripped. He said they stay away from that issue ie: the lawyers have most likely advised them against issuing any repair data on those wheels due to potential product liability situations. His only caution was not to drill completely through the screw boss as that would weaken the wheel and render it to be scrapped. Based on the suggestions it sounds like some of that good ole Sulfur Springs, TX JB Weld and retapping.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bigrenna

Post by bigrenna »

delete