8.50x 6 tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cverdoljak

8.50x 6 tires

Post by cverdoljak »

I got "busted" for 8.50 x 6 tires last week in Palmer, what I got out of it is I need to produce a field approval for the single puck brake application or install double puck brakes which would be ok. Any info on this?
pdb

Re: 8.50x 6 tires

Post by pdb »

This is from a previous post whose date I can't seem to locate but it was from the most recent review from the local FAA on the subject of 8:50 x 6 tires. Can you tell us with specificity why you were "busted" and what was the name of the FAA guy who busted you? Did you get anything in writing about the violation that you can share?

Where you really busted for tires or wheels, or brakes?

What wheels do you have ? Cleveland or Goodyear? If you have Cleveland's, did you have the STC or field approval for the wheels or were they "valley approved"? What about the brakes?

pdb wrote:I spoke to Mr. August Asay of the Anchorage FAA ACO today regarding his letter regarding his 3/26/13 letter to Atlee Dodge on the use of 8:50s. This is what he said:

1) His letter was only meant to address the substitution of tires, not wheels or brakes.
2) If you have the original Goodyear wheels with 6:00x6, 7:00x6 or 8:00x6 tires (already approved on the TCDS) and want to put on 8:50s, just do so as a minor alteration.
3) if you have 6" Cleveland wheel and brakes installed with an STC or field approval, are currently using 6:00x6, 7:00x6 or 8:00x6 tires, and want to put on 8:50x6s, just do so as a minor alteration.

I got the distinct impression that he considers the matter to be administrivia and not worth much more of the FAA's time as he regards 8:50s as a basic operating requirement here in Alaska with a time proven record. He sounded pretty reasonable. ( Is he related to BlueLdr?)

BTW, he is a 170 owner.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Pete Brown,
Have you considered the remote possibility that you were not really talking to a real member of the FUZZ? This man sounds too practical to be true!
Maybe we should try to get him moved up to be the Administrator!
BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Here is a thread that discusses FAA approval for 8.50x6 tires.

And here's the FAA approval letter itself.
FAA_8.50_tire_on_cessna_aircraft.pdf
FAA approval letter
(505.46 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
minton

Post by minton »

What I glean from this letter is if one references this letter and includes a copy when sending it to OK city (337 copy) you should be good to go. Or maybe log book entry referencing the letter. Keep in mind you must have previously installed STC'd Clevelands and associated 337 filed/log book entry.

Overall a great find! I'll sure use it.