New sumps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

T. C. Downey

New sumps

Post by T. C. Downey »

I have discovered a forge in Seattle that has said they can cast new sumps for us. I believe this is a better solution to the corroded sump issues than trying to reline. The problem with relining them is that Okanogon Aero in Kalona BC will not touch a welded or cracked sump.
New casted sumps will require about 5k to manufacture a model for the new sump, it must be made so as when the mold shrinks it will fit the engine.

To be truthful I do not have that kind of cash to invest up front. but If I had orders for the sumps I could make this happen. a new sump made from 6061 aluminum will cost about 1k. each and will not corrode.

I will do the PMA thing with the FAA. it's just paper work.

Do you think we should go ahead with this ?

how should the orders work?
bagarre

Re: New sumps

Post by bagarre »

Instead of casting, would it be cheaper / easier to CNC mill it from an ingot of 6016?
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

bagarre wrote:Instead of casting, would it be cheaper / easier to CNC mill it from an ingot of 6016?
I have no clue how to do that. or what the machine time would be.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Tom,

If you haven't already, I would reach out to type clubs that have airplanes that use these engines...Aeronca Sedans, Swift, older 172s. There will probably be a much larger market than just our group here. I think it's a fantastic idea, and I hope that it comes to pass.

Just a thought, if there is a chance to recover the startup investment, does the Association have the means or the interest to bankroll the initial tooling and use that as operating income, or would that be in violation of the company being a 501(c)3? Would there be any way to legally divest that income, scholarships, convention funding, etc?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bagarre wrote:Instead of casting, would it be cheaper / easier to CNC mill it from an ingot of 6016?
I would say no on both accounts, based on my limited knowledge of the subject.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Looks like there isn't enough interest in this to continue.
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Tom, are they saying for sure the sump will fit and does it include milling the gasket areas for block and accessory case and intake tubes--as well as bolt holes and threads? Then 5k is not bad if this is a complete ready to go sump-mold?? What would be the price to mold a sump and dress it for a ready to install sump? Then what do you propose the selling price of a sump? Would it be also possible/advisable to correct the current problem of the low spot in front of crossover tube? Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

sorry just re read about selling price of 1K? :? :?
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

ron74887 wrote:sorry just re read about selling price of 1K? :? :?
I read that as the cost to manufacture. There would have to be some profit to pay off the tooling, correct?
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Ryan Smith wrote:
ron74887 wrote:sorry just re read about selling price of 1K? :? :?
I read that as the cost to manufacture. There would have to be some profit to pay off the tooling, correct?
Let me put it to you this way. When I have 10 customers that are confirmed buyers with $500. down and $500 more upon delivery I'll order the model to be made. the finished ready to install sumps will be priced at $1000.00

When you oder the sump with the deposit, I'll hold the 500 until I get the other 9 people, If I do not make 10 orders, you'll get your money back.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Count me in Tom. How do you want me to send the $500?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Tom, is this a one-time purchase, or is the tooling going to be good for future runs? I have no need for a sump right now, but I will likely want one in a year or two when I have an airplane and begin to accumulate spares.

Again, if you haven't already, I'd reach out to other type clubs for buyers.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Jason wrote:Count me in Tom. How do you want me to send the $500?
I have yet to set up an account for this just hold on, for now you are the first to get on board.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Ryan Smith wrote:Tom, is this a one-time purchase, or is the tooling going to be good for future runs?
When we get the model built we can use it many times. I expect the casting runs to be in units of 10.

I am not a member of the cessna owners club, I simply will let the engine machine shops know that I can supply the sumps. I will not do that until I get a model built and can meet their demand.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Not to take the fun out of an otherwise incredibly useful thread but,
How much difficulty do you anticipate in getting the new sump approved? Wouldn't the shop need a PMA?

Also, a quick add on Barnstormers might get you a few more preorders from the O300-non170 folks.

If I wasn't upgrading our motor, I'd order one just in case. No one really knows if you're gonna need a sump, until you need a sump.