Trip Advice - Heading South

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Trip Advice - Heading South

Post by Kyle »

Good Morning Everyone, Thinking about a trip down south. Looking to leave Massachusetts the last week of March, heading south to Sun and Fun, spend some time there, and work my way back. 14-18 days or so. I would like to stop along the way a visit some retired Coast Guard friends, see some museums (Aviation, Military etc) and generally take my time. Going to bring a tent and my sleeping bag.

I'd be interested in your suggestions on cool airports to stop at (camping friendly maybe), museums to see, warbird restoration shops, and any hints for Sun and Fun too. Did want to stop in at the Naval aviation museum in Pensacola while I was in the area too.

Thoughts ???

Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
bagarre

Re: Trip Advice - Heading South

Post by bagarre »

I'll be at Sun-n-Fun as well. We should try to find each other.

I Don't know of many museums other than Udvar Hazy at Dulles. Landing fee is around $35 and they can shuttle you over. I live too close to fly in but have been there more times than I can count (3 times this year so far). It's a must see.
KG

Post by KG »

Not far out of your way to go to Peachstate Aerodrome in Georgia. (GA2) http://www.peachstateaero.com/ Excellent restaurant on the field, antique airplane museum, restoration shop, friendly people, and I believe they allow camping. I bet you could get some 170 guys to meet you there for lunch.

I have an empty t-hanger at Thomaston (KOPN) just south of there that you are welcome to use as you pass through if you need it. Could have thunderstorms that time of year. I also have friends and family in that area so if you had some sort of trouble I could probably scape up some help with a couple of phone calls.

Air Force museum at Warner Robins Air Force Base just south of Macon, GA. I haven't been there in years but always enjoyed it and I've heard it is even better.

If you go down the coast, Ocacroke (W95) is a cool stop. Most of the local B&Bs and will pick you up at the airstrip and give you a ride into town (a mile or two). Howard's Pub monitors the airport radio and will pick you up. Good seafood all over town. Lots of restricted areas around there, you may have to backtrack to the north to get out of there... I would look closely at a chart to make a plan.

Excellent Bar-b-q on the field at Carthage, NC (5NC3), south of Raleigh, NC. I don't think there is anywhere to stay though, so probably just a good lunch stop.

I've stopped several times at Oak Island (KSUT) just south of Wilmington, NC. Nice little airport, managed by Howie Franklin, the Chief Steward on Air Force One for many years, serving five presidents. Worth a stop just to chat with him if you are passing that area. Courtesy car, local seafood restaurants, and lots of places to stay.

Moultrie, GA , Spence Field (KMUL) in south Georgia... the home of the Maule. You can get a tour of the facility and see how they are built.

I'm in Raleigh.. I travel a lot but if you stop near here check with me to see if I'm in town.

Keith
53 170B
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

If you land at K2W6 (St. Mary's County, MD) it's only a 4-5 mile trip to the Patuxent River NAS museum. There's a couple neat aircraft there.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I watched the Golden Knights practice at 5W4 Raeford, west of Fayetteville, NC near Ft Bragg. It has a restaurant on the field and you can spend some neat time there.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

You could spend 2-3 hours at the 8th Air Force museum at Savannah, GA. St. Simons, just south of Savannah is a good stop for lunch. They have courtesy car and only about five minutes from resturants. Douglas, GA has a warbird restoration shop run by Bill Reilly, they are restoring one of those twin Mustangs there. Probably more stuff, but all I can think of right now.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll start a notebook :)
Keep them coming please...
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A