Change the oil or not?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless Tower

Change the oil or not?

Post by Fearless Tower »

Interested in thoughts on this one as it is the first time I have dealt with a lengthy downtime as an airplane owner (used to flying a couple times a week).

Through circumstances out of my control, my 170 has had to sit on the ramp in San Diego while I moved the family to Norfolk. Now, it looks like I won't be able to get back there until mid-October to fly the airplane across country.

On the good side, I had the oil changed in mid-July and the engine has been sitting in fresh oil (Aero Shell 100 - not the plus) without any use since then. When I do get back to flying it, I will probably put around 20 hrs on it flying it coast to coast.

So, should I change the oil before the cross-country, or fly it as-is and change it after I get it to its new home?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Harold Holiman

Re: Change the oil or not?

Post by Harold Holiman »

I personally would fly with the current oil and change it after your long crosscountry.

Harold H
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

I would inspect the oil first, from the dipstick and by draining a little from the sump. If it looks fine then fly it. If it looks like there is condensation in the oil, then address the problem accordingly depending on how much you find.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

FLY IT! (If it's been sitting preserved in fresh oil less than a year with no running.... no problem, in my opinion.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Fly it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Andy,
Fly it! The problem with old oil is...No matter what oil you use, after running several hours, You will pick up acids, from the burn, and moisture.If you haven't put any time on the oil.....just use it. You should change the oil every four months......In my opinion, no mater how many hours you fly. because of the acid build up in the pan...I can send pic's if you want.
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Aryana wrote:I bet you miss your 170.
You got that right! Been way too long.

As an update, I just checked aboard my ship and found the shedule has changed yet again. Looks like I'll end up having to have the annual done before I get to move the plane. Big Fun.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

So what if you are having an annual just drain and save use a clean container. I think the oil companies say change it every 3 months so you are right on the edge but no sense throwing away fresh oil.
It's not done till it's overdone
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

What field are you flying out of in Norfolk?
I've been looking for an excuse to fly down there. I left the Navy in '03
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

bagarre wrote:What field are you flying out of in Norfolk?
I've been looking for an excuse to fly down there. I left the Navy in '03
I'll be flying out of PVG (Hampton Roads Exec)....that is, once I actually get my plane from the west coast to the east coast. Looking like I'll be flying it out here in November now.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That will make a GREAT flight tho.

Would also make a great newsletter article. Even if it was written like a log book.