getting new tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jean777

getting new tires

Post by Jean777 »

Hello , I have a 1952 170b with lady,s legs and clevelands brakes ( both with proper stc ), It,s time to buy new tires , it currently has bf-goodrich 700-6, 4 ply, will probably buy same size, I fly often on grass or light gravel,and the aircraft is parked outside all year, do you have any suggestions on what brand to buy, would a 700-6 6ply be better or not, tanks for your advices Jean Gagnon C-GNGP
Bill Hart

Re: getting new tires

Post by Bill Hart »

I like Condors, I have always purchased them from Desser Tire and Rubber.

http://www.desser.com/store/?gclid=COKG ... nQodlxm5zg
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Jean777 wrote:Hello , I have a 1952 170b with lady,s legs and clevelands brakes ( both with proper stc ), It,s time to buy new tires , it currently has bf-goodrich 700-6, 4 ply, will probably buy same size, I fly often on grass or light gravel,and the aircraft is parked outside all year, do you have any suggestions on what brand to buy, would a 700-6 6ply be better or not, tanks for your advices Jean Gagnon C-GNGP

Go to the Aircraft Spuce site and get the Flight Customs, they work well. I use the 700-6 6ply's on my 48 C-170. Question for you or anyone else, have you tried the AZUSA 2.80/250 4 ply tail tire, there about $10.00 each rather $40.00 plus for Goodyear which don't last very well anyway.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I buy my tires from Desser Tire, ...Aero Classics in 600 X 6 and have a McCreary Tailwheel tire which has been very durable.
Always buy new tubes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
femoskol

Post by femoskol »

I'm trying to buy tubes for my tailwheel 2.80/250-4. The ones we had were made in China and performed poorly. I understand those made in Canada are preferred. Anyone know where to find those tubes?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Four ply tires are plenty strong enough for a C-170. I have always liked the 700 size.
BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Aircraft Spruce has tires and tubes. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/lg/ ... wheel.html
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

femoskol wrote:I'm trying to buy tubes for my tailwheel 2.80/250-4. The ones we had were made in China and performed poorly. I understand those made in Canada are preferred. Anyone know where to find those tubes?
I'd like to know that too. Everything I find is made in China and looks very thin and cheap.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bsdunek wrote:
femoskol wrote:I'm trying to buy tubes for my tailwheel 2.80/250-4. The ones we had were made in China and performed poorly. I understand those made in Canada are preferred. Anyone know where to find those tubes?
I'd like to know that too. Everything I find is made in China and looks very thin and cheap.
Northern Tool sells nice, heavy duty tubes which are in the correct size. $10, shipped free to a local store.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200514232

50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Airplane tubes from Northern Tool???? Seems like it sort of depends whose bull is getting gored, doesen't it?
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Airplane tubes from Northern Tool???? Seems like it sort of depends whose bull is getting gored, doesen't it?
Well, Dick... what approval does YOUR inner tubes meet? (Hint: There is NO TSO/FAA-PMA/ETC. for inner tubes since the Air Force Mil-Spec was declared obsolete in 1960's.... Why do you think folks are complaining about chineese tubes? ) :wink:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:Image
Looks like these may be made in the USA, at least the company is a US Company. http://martinwheelco.com/contact.us
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Actually, I wouldn't give a BRA (Big Rats Asterisk) if the airplane tire tubes were made in Outer Mongolia if the damn things would hold air. I have a '63 Ford Convertible that has had the air in the tires for TEN, count 'em, years and they're still up. My airplane always required pumping up the tires about every thirty days or so just to be able to push it out of the hangar. How many airplanes have you all seen out on some parking apron with flat tires? Automobiles don't do that! Why do airplanes have such crappy tubes considering the premium price we have to pay for them?
I'd have a helluva lot more respect for the FAA if they could solve a problem like that instead of some of the crap they come up with.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:.........Automobiles don't do that! Why do airplanes have such crappy tubes considering the premium price we have to pay for them?
I'd have a helluva lot more respect for the FAA if they could solve a problem like that instead of some of the crap they come up with.
FAA is not in the business of design/manufacturing....and THEY don't make tubes
...and automobiles usually have tubeless tires on one piece wheels.
....which is why inner tubes are no longer popularly manufactured
and have slipped into the current state of affairs
But good quality is still available if you search.....the problem is more likely
that you don't want to bother with the trouble and expense of changing them out and would rather keep
putting air in the cheap equipment you already bought?

I bought new Goodyear tubes 11 years ago when I bought my Desser Aero Classic tires and they hold air year after year. (I check them regularly due to my runway which occasionally might grow a cactus or thorn... but I only rarely need to adjust/add air to them...usually during annual inspection. I might also mention I use ordinary air, not nitrogen like I did in my Baron yet I still have had no problems with the Goodyear tubes {other than having to replace the schrader/needle-valves in both after a couple years.} My friends who buy the McCreary tubes have also had good experience, but other brands not so good. My tailwheel has a tractor-supply tube in it and it also does well.)

CHECK YOUR SCHRADER VALVES FOR LEAKAGE before condemning the inner tube. :wink: