navmonster

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Curtis Brown

navmonster

Post by Curtis Brown »

I may be a bit out of the loop and have not been planning cross country trips in quite awhile. What has happen to navmonster? Is there a similar replacement?
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
lowNslow

Re: navmonster

Post by lowNslow »

Navmonster has been my goto site for flight planning for quite awhile so I miss it as well. Here is the note posted on their website.

"2012-04-22 Update: After long and drawn out negotiations, our hosting company booted us for consuming too many CPU cycles. NavMonster performs a serious amount of trigonometry to calculate all the airports/weather/TPPs/AFDs/TFRs/PIREPs/NOTAMs/etc along the great circle route. Moving this massive infrastructure to another server is a time consuming process. Thanks for all the encouragement and support, please stay tuned. "
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

You may be able to find a list of flight planning websites here on the 170 forum if you do a search. AOPA has a good one and my current personal preferance is SkyVector.com.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I recently recommended Nav-monster to a couple wanting to make their first crossing into the USA two days ago in their Nanchang CJ6. Yesterday I checked into the site only to find it had been TKO'd. I have since found out the range of their plane is two hours and requires them to do extensive flight planning. I knew the Wilga had a short range which puzzled me as well until it was explained that these planes range was limited so that the crews wouldn't attempt to Defect 8O
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Navmonster is officially gone. See the comments left at the site by the owner.

http://www.navmonster.com/

Between the law suits brought last year and our governments plans or lack there of for how and how much they might decide to charge for info we've already paid for, there is not likely to be any free flight planning sites left for to much longer. And the shame of that is that computerized flight planning inovation will slow to a snails pace.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com