It's official - moving to Norfolk.....looking for A&P.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless Tower

It's official - moving to Norfolk.....looking for A&P.

Post by Fearless Tower »

Just got word from the detailer that I will indeed be moving to Norfolk this summer (got the Navigator job on USS WASP). So, now I get to plan the mother of all 170 trips....coast to coast at 95 KTAS....yee-haw!

Anyone in the Tidewater VA area? I'll obviously be looking for a good and knowledgeable 170 A&P IA.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: It's official - moving to Norfolk.....looking for A&P.

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Oh boy. Welcome to the right coast. You will of course be taking pictures and documenting the flight.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Oh, TELL me the Navy is going to allow you to expense the trip as travel to your new Duty Station!
I'd love to read about the trip in a future 170 Newsletter.

-David
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Andrew, Congratulations! Enjoy the coast to coast trip. If your route takes you through northern GA, give us a call and we can pick you up at KRYY. Just call us a day or two before you plan to arrive to make sure we are home. 8) Also, don't forget to take your membership directory along with you. All member with an (H) after the year they joined are willing to help members with an overnight layover. Plus, give Scott Saunders (Ex Airforce) in Alexandria, VA a call. He has a '54 170B and could give you input on AI's in the area. Jim
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I hope you realize that if you screw up your navigation getting the C-170 to Norfolk, we're not going to let you play navigator on our aircraft carrier. There is, however, an opening for a supervisor of the enlisted mess.
Last edited by blueldr on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I suppose the Navy will pay you mileage for the trip just like the Air Forcr paid me mileage when I flew my Stinson L-5 from Fairbanks, Alaska, to Randolph AFB in San Antoinio, Texas, back in 1951. I think the mileage was based on the road miles as though I was driving an automobile. I wouldn't be a bit surprized if the per mile allowance is somewhat more today.
I do remember that I arranged to cross the US border on a Sunday and clear US Customs at Cut Bank, Montana, at the same time that Western Airlines had a Convair flight scheduled to clear through from Canada. They would have customs available for the airliner and I wouldn't get tapped for the call out. About three weeks after I got to Randolph AFB I received a bill from the Border Patrol office in Seattle, Washington, for $36.00. I had to split the bill with Western Airlines!
BL
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country.

If you make it through North Alabama and I can be of any assistance let me know!

Have fun!
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Fearless,
If you find a need for assistance on that navigarors job on the Wasp, since I am no longer flying I'd be delighted to loan you my trusty hand held GPS. I've found it to be extremely user friendly and accurate. The Navy, of course, may have some similar device with adequate accuracy provided for use by their personnel.
BL
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

jlwild wrote:Andrew, Congratulations! Enjoy the coast to coast trip. If your route takes you through northern GA, give us a call and we can pick you up at KRYY. Just call us a day or two before you plan to arrive to make sure we are home. 8) Also, don't forget to take your membership directory along with you. All member with an (H) after the year they joined are willing to help members with an overnight layover. Plus, give Scott Saunders (Ex Airforce) in Alexandria, VA a call. He has a '54 170B and could give you input on AI's in the area. Jim
Jim, thanks for the info....dang, that just reminded me I need to pay my dues!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

bagarre wrote:Oh, TELL me the Navy is going to allow you to expense the trip as travel to your new Duty Station!
I'd love to read about the trip in a future 170 Newsletter.

-David
Not so sure on the expense part, but that is a great idea for the newsletter....I'll try to make it an interesting read!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

blueldr wrote:I hope you realize that if you screw up your navigation getting the C-170 to Norfolk, we're not going to let you play navigator on our aircraft carrier. There is, however, an opening for a supervisor of the enlisted mess.
No kidding...if I can't figure this out, I'm screwed!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fearless Tower wrote:
blueldr wrote:I hope you realize that if you screw up your navigation getting the C-170 to Norfolk, we're not going to let you play navigator on our aircraft carrier. There is, however, an opening for a supervisor of the enlisted mess.
No kidding...if I can't figure this out, I'm screwed!
Lindbergh found Paris with a compass and a clock! Fly with the BIG "E" centered on your compass until you see salt-water and turn left! :lol:

What date to you intend to launch?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

At 5LS9 there is a bed and breakfast you might consider. It ain't the H I Express but it's free :lol: :lol: ole gar
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:...Lindbergh found Paris with a compass and a clock! Fly with the BIG "E" centered on your compass until you see salt-water and turn left! :lol:
George, there's 14 degrees easterly variation in San Diego, and the first 122nm of the border actually runs a tad NE/SW, so he may want to at least get past Yuma before he centers the compass at the Big E. But being a real-life navigator, I'm sure he already knows that. :lol: Leaving Montgomery field, you don't want to hold a compass course of less than 78 deg for very long...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

gahorn wrote:What date to you intend to launch?
Not sure yet. Have to see what the move schedule is like. I won't have my actual orders for a few more weeks, then I need to see what schools I have enroute. We'll probably do our pack-out and household goods move in late July/early August. So, my options are to either move the plane early, or let it sit here in SD until we are settled in the house there.

Right now, I'm leaning toward moving it early - probably mid to late June. That will probably have the least impact on the family. Moving into a new house and then leaving my wife to unpack and settle in while watching an almost 5 year old and 18 month old while I go flying for a week......probably won't get us off to a good start!
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170