Best three mods

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: Best Three Mods

Post by hilltop170 »

Aryana wrote:How much (approx) does your rear seat setup weigh?
10lb. each seat, tracks about 2 lb total
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

The Wick Air steering arm extension is a new one to me. Is the advantage supposed to be better response on the ground? Does the wick steering arm extension actually come through with improved ground performance? Looks like something else for mesquite to catch and damage.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dam Richard, was a nice Rat Plane :roll: . You do have a nice collection of top 3 mods time at least 3.

Tell us more about the Wicks Steering extensions. I assume they work so home much better are they? Since they only have a multi 337 ver STC, where do you have to go to get it? Are the working on a STC for this?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blakelewis

Post by blakelewis »

I have a c-145-2h with a D in the serial number. All the cranks are dampened, but the D means there are more dampeners. Can't quite remember the terminology but it was the 6th something; maybe the 6th journal.
I have a 35amp generator and I added a Zeftronics regulator. It cuts in a few hundred less rpms so the generator charges when taxiing. I got UMA instrument lights field approved. They beat the pants off of post lights.
LED lights inside and out.
My 9" venturi spins up my modern DG at an idle and the new AI comes up before I let off the brakes on the takeoff run. I might add a second 9" venturi for more air volume. The 9" venturi requires a regulator.
Inertia reel shoulder harness allows me to get to the flap handle with out slipping the shoulder belt. I had a tag missing off of one of my seat belts and the IA said send them in for rebuild. It was going to cost more for them to remove, ship, rebuild and install that the new replacement belt.

I want to rewire with new wire. Still can't find a source for the AGS fuses.
Who ever install the intercom did not do the mics wires right in the back seat.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

I might have a solution for you AGS fuse problem. Take an old AGS fuse and break it. Save both ends then carefully remove the glass from one end. Install this cap onto the end of an AGC fuse of the correct amperage rating (it will fit very snuggly and have very good contact, the fit is perfect). Fit the end with the AGS cap on it into the screw-on cap of the AGS fuse holder (The other end facing the panel doesn't matter because it just contacts a spring). Screw the fuse holder cap on normally. Your AGS fuse holder is now an AGC fuse holder.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Robert Eilers wrote:The Wick Air steering arm extension is a new one to me. Is the advantage supposed to be better response on the ground? Does the Wick steering arm extension actually come through with improved ground performance? Looks like something else for mesquite to catch and damage.
Bruce wrote:Dam Richard, it was a nice Rat Plane. You do have a nice collection of top 3 mods times at least 3.

Tell us more about the Wicks Steering extensions. I assume they work so how much better are they? Since they only have a multi 337 ver STC, where do you have to go to get it? Are they working on a STC for this?

Thanks Bruce, once I got started it was hard to stop while everything was apart. The only thing I now wish I had done was the baggage door but I had to stop somewhere.

The Wick Air rudder arm extension really does help ground handling. It significantly lowers the angle between the rudder bellcrank and the steering arms on the tailwheel as well as providing more leverage for turning due to the rudder bellcrank being effectively wider. As a secondary benefit, it ties into the lower rudder hinge which helps keep the bellcrank from cracking out. I normally do not use brakes for ground handling except in a very strong crosswind or when turning very sharply or pivoting in place. I land on unimproved grass ranch airstrips all over Texas and have not noticed any problem with catching mesquite snags or any other snags on the extension arm. Of course, with this 10 yr. drought, there's no grass anywhere tall enough to be a problem.

I don't think there is any effort to expand the approval for this mod. Mel Wick (who was a great guy, excellent mechanic, and honest businessman) passed away a few weeks ago and will be greatly missed. His sons and the other guys at the shop have big shoes to fill but are entirely capable of it and made of the same stuff Mel was. Hopefully they will continue in the same direction with the business. Right now, if a person wants one of these installed, they have to take the plane to Wasilla, Alaska to do it, the multiple FA is not transferrable.

I'll talk to the guys at the shop next week when I'm in Alaska and ask them if it is ok for me to post the design drawing for the rudder arm extension so others might try to get a Field Approval. They probably will approve but I need to ask first since it is their design.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It looks to me that those Wick Air steering arms would put a lot of "Tweak" on the rudder horn.
BL
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

It also appears to me the Wicks Air steering arms can not be used on 170B's S/N 26505 & on (1955 - 56).
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr wrote:It looks to me that those Wick Air steering arms would put a lot of "Tweak" on the rudder horn.
There probably will be some extra "Tweak" but it will be transferred into the airframe via the lower rudder hinge bolt which goes thru the extension arm as well as the rudder horn. Less load is imposed on the rudder horn.

jlwild wrote:It also appears to me the Wicks Air steering arms can not be used on 170B's S/N 26505 & on (1955 - 56).
Since the tailwheel steering mechanism for the late model 170B is inside the fuselage, not even attached to the rudder, and already accomplishes the same thing, your statement is correct. There would be no reason to try to install the extension.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Tailwheel steering modifications are real puzzle to me.
I trust Richard Pulley's judgement on airplane stuff...well, MOST of it anyway... but I'm going to have to ask him for a chance to fly his airplane before this steering arm will make any sense for me. Here's why:

Not withstanding wind or other outside forces....Turning the tailwheel is a function of tailwheel assy health and weight on the tailwheel. If the tailwheel doesn't unlock...any effort applied to the assy will encourage it to turn in the direction of rudder applied. If the tailwheel turns the airplane will follow. The only advantage of a greater/wider steering arm will be increased force applied to the tailwheel...which if it hadn't already responded to the lesser effort....then is the result of improper tailwheel assy function or other outside forces (such as wind... and in strong winds no extra pull on the steering chains are going to overcome the wind effects...it's gonna take brakes.)

Meanwhile, it seems to me that while applying rudder while making speed with tailwheel on the ground will result in excessive tailwheel-steering.

Of course, this is all in my imagination and I can't wait to see Richard again to see if he'll let me fly his 170 to make the comparison.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:...Of course, this is all in my imagination and I can't wait to see Richard again to see if he'll let me fly his 170 to make the comparison.
Even better, duplicate the mod on your own 170 and try it! :D
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:
gahorn wrote:...Of course, this is all in my imagination and I can't wait to see Richard again to see if he'll let me fly his 170 to make the comparison.
Even better, duplicate the mod on your own 170 and try it! :D
Nope. I never have had any tailwheel steering problems. If it ain't broke...... :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Must have something to do with RED airplanes :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:..................Of course, this is all in my imagination and I can't wait to see Richard again to see if he'll let me fly his 170 to make the comparison.
George-
The steering arms really do work but I'll let you be the judge when you fly it. With the original rudder horn, when the rudder was fully deflected, it just didn't have enough stroke to actually turn the tailwheel, it would just stretch the rudder springs some. I think the difference is the arm extension has enough stroke that the springs load up then actually turn the tailwheel instead of just stretching the springs. That's my guess why it works.

The 170 came out of annual last week so it's ready to go, except, I'll be out of town until Feb 1. I'll call you when I get back. Willie Langholz may be in Texas by that time and I'll bring him with me. We might have to go over to Llano to test it out on a paved taxiway (and eat some Cooper's Bar-B-Q while we're there).
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Dooley

Post by Dooley »

That Wicks rudder arm is new to me also. I have experimented with a few different arrangements on the tailwheel as I think the original is quite marginal. I would be inclined to try this mod. Dooley