Best three mods

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

Re: Best Three Mods

Post by Kyle »

Hi Greg,

1) Tail pull handles

2) HSI - Century vacuum driven unit - SO simple, driven by my Garmin SL30 and the venturi tube w/regulator -

3) sholder harness's that retract - best thing since black labs.

lots more of them to talk about but I'll save that for the walk around over a coffee.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

George

I like all your mods except the non riveted impulse couplings. Get the shower of sparks. Easy to install, NO AD notes, full spark all the time instead of one little click from a spring that corrodes and breaks over time, about the same cost as impulse mags.
It's not done till it's overdone
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I disagree thoroughly!
Shower of sparks SUCKS....and only starts on ONE mag.....and requires major changes to the
mag switch circuits.......AND fails to provide retarded spark except to that one mag.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Well, lots of engines have only one impulsed coupled magneto. The wiring is not a big deal really. I guess just go with what you know best no real right or wrong.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you priced that mag switch difference lately?
AND, have you ever tried to hand prop shower of sparks?
(no retarded spark, and dangerous kickback.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I have an email in to Cliff at Aircraft Magneto Service in Bainbridge Island Washington. He is also an advocate of the shower of sparks and does repair them for fixed prices as well as sell kits. I will get the price difference. He also has both magnetos with the shower of sparks. I am guessing he has a switch that is affordable but not sure.

I will get that information and price difference with comparable impulse coupled magnetos and post it. On hand propping I have handpropped a few of 985's in Beavers which also do not have impulse coupled magnetos. I agree that is dangerous but I have not had to hand prop an airplane in years. I do however buy batteries and keep them maintained so that does not happen or it would be very rare. Usually unless you are very remote then youcan either get a new battery or, charge yours.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Actually, I have been so remote that a snow machine...(snowmobile?) battery and some improvised jumper cables did the trick... you really don't want to know what that was..northwest Alaska above the Arctic Circle
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And another thing you cannot have a shower sparks with a pull starter.
the R985 uses 1 magneto for starting usually the left, it is always retarded, and it is not shower of sparks.
...... a shower of sparks for cessna 170 is a lousy idea. trust me on this one. :wink:
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Umm unless we have been timing them wrong all these years they are 25 degrees BTC on both mags for the 985 and just one set of breaker points in each. No retard option on the ones I have flown. I do not know if that is true you cannot have shower of sparks with pull starter but it may be I will check that as well.

A lot of people do not like having shower of sparks and I have not figured out why as it is absolutely total spark the whole starting process instead of one little spark each compression stroke on one cylinder only. I also do not think anyone advocates handpropping unless it is the only way to start or an emergency. I learned in a J-3 and that was the only way to start. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of poor technigue with hand propping...standing too far away and pulling oneself into the prop instead of close and pushing away, fingertips curled around the trailing edge, the list goes on.

There really should be good instruction on the best way to hand prop before attempting it and I do know there are several videos of planes gone wild when someone had either an inexperienced person at the controls or no one and the tie down device broke or came loose, or in some cases was not even chocked or tied down.

Maintaining the aircraft and having a good battery makes way more sense in my opinion.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

shower of sparks requires 1 magneato be grounded while the other magneto is alive...
usually retarded..... after the engine starts.... the ignition starter switch is released.... allowing both magnetos to be hot for normal operation.
for that reason key starter is required.
shower of sparks also requires a vibrator to excite the starting ignition.
shower of sparks requires a battery or ground power for starting.
impulse couplings are much simpler and more reliable.... no external power is required
the impulse couplings automatically retard for starting then allow advanced
timing for running.
And its not"one"spark per.....it's TWO mags starting instead of only one if you have
the original impulse set up.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

George, I did not and am not trying to start a peeing match. By the way I have been told that caps indicate yelling or being aggressive. This is a friendly I think forum. I am not trying to make enemies. I believer that shower of sparks "suck" is your opinoin which you are welcome to. It is not a fact. I did find out that yes you can incorporate them on the pull type starter. I do not yet have the price difference. Again the 985 does not retard or have a mag set at retard so that is not a valid comparison. Yes if you have to hand prop, a rare occurence, you will not be able to do so safely. The Cessna 170 is according to the TCDS supposed to have a battery. I am assuming it is supposed to be operational.

If shower of sparks suck and are dangerous or otherwise not safe for normal operations then I would think the FAA would have made an AD note or otherwise stopped their use. I have had far more problems with owners of magnetos that had impulse couplings then shower of sparks. Granted there are far fewer shower of sparks so that is to be expected. I am from an area that has a lot of corrosion and a salt enviorenment and springs break regulary. I mean I have not seen this just a few times I have seen it many. Yes if you have dual magnetos you do get two spark plugs to fire on one cylinder only on each stroke.

Lets just agree to disagree on this subject. Your opinion that shower of sparks suck is not fact and if it were they would not be on many aircraft.

Best regards

Joel
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Trying to determine a person's tone online is incredibly difficult.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... 6/02/70179
According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.
Some people see CAPS as shouting, others see it as emphasizing a keyword in a sentence.
The same can be said of using "quotes".

When it comes to keeping things civil; this is one of the BEST online "groups" I've seen. People here genuinely want to share their knowledge and/or opinions without insult and readers mostly take the position that the other person wants to help and means well.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

you are pretty much misreading me Joel
( but I'm a pretty opinionated person on this..
and I'm also fairly certain I'm correct,
having owned two airplanes with shower of sparks....
they SUCK.) ( emphasis intended) :wink: