Close one

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Close one

Post by blueldr »

Had a call from my daughter a couple of hours ago. She was up at the Reno Air Races with a girl friend.They had box seats, compliments of one of her old ex Air Force friends. I had just walked in the front door and the phone rang. She wanted to let me know that she and her friend were OK. Unbeknownst to me, Jimmy Leeward had just gone in in a P-51 practically where her box seats were located. Apparenrly killed quite a few people on the ground too.
I knew she was up a the races, but one never thinks about that sort of thing until it happens, Forunately, they were down in the pit area visiting with some of her old friends that were participating in the races.
I'd have really been sweating it out if she hadn't called.
I'm getting too old to have to put up with that kind of stuff.
BL
Robert Eilers

Re: Close one

Post by Robert Eilers »

Just heard from Bruce - he and Kathy Rhymes are both OK as well.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
rhymes

Post by rhymes »

Kathy and I were with 65Charlie yesterday at the Nat’l. Aviation Heritage Invitational at the Reno Air Races... and couldn’t believe our eyes as we saw the impact in front of us, about 250 yards away. I think I remember the concussion hitting my chest, although in hindsight it might just be the emotional shock I remember.
The sound and debris cloud remain my most vivid recollection... and then a profound sadness. Kathy and I looked through our binoculars at the aftermath, but couldn’t bear to look for long.
I’ve driven Kathy home at this time, as she has a full week of classes starting Monday.
The Airport is secured today, but I’ll return to Stead tomorrow (Sunday) to attend a final meeting of the Heritage Trophy and to fly our bird back home to Susanville; about a 35 min. flight.
We are as okay as we can be at this time, and all of our Susanville crowd are accounted for. We hope this will not spell the end of the Air Races.
Safe flying to each of you,
Bruce and Kathy Rhymes
Bruce & Kathy Rhymes
1954 Cessna 170B
N2865C
Luvjet

Post by Luvjet »

I was there! The crash happened 60 feet from me! I was in box 110,the crash happened in front of box 105. Knocked me and my wife to the ground. I honestly thought I was going to die. Changed my life. Covered in fuel, pelted by parts. Those in front of the plane were the ones hurt most as the pictures show.Sure feels nice to be able to respond to this posting. I'm just sick about the others who weren't so fortunate.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Luvjet wrote:I was there! The crash happened 60 feet from me! I was in box 110,the crash happened in front of box 105. Knocked me and my wife to the ground. I honestly thought I was going to die. Changed my life. Covered in fuel, pelted by parts. Those in front of the plane were the ones hurt most as the pictures show.Sure feels nice to be able to respond to this posting. I'm just sick about the others who weren't so fortunate.
We are happy you can respond as well.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Luvjet wrote:I was there! The crash happened 60 feet from me! I was in box 110,the crash happened in front of box 105. Knocked me and my wife to the ground. I honestly thought I was going to die. Changed my life. Covered in fuel, pelted by parts. Those in front of the plane were the ones hurt most as the pictures show.Sure feels nice to be able to respond to this posting. I'm just sick about the others who weren't so fortunate.

HOLEY-MOLEY, Don! Who else do we know there??? YOU, Bruce and Kathy,... ???
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

I was there for eight days Towing for four AT- 6's and others. One 73 Strip Teeze did a May Day during qualifying broke a valve cracked the cylinder from plug hole to plug hole, broke its roller cam follower. So its a tear down. 43 won its gold heat on one of the best AT-6 races. Last years winner. We stayed just for that unlimited race because we knew it was going to be a great race. We were in the pits on the line right where he broke and then pulled up. After that every second after it veered toward the crowd and made what looked like a desperate attempt to control the aircraft and direct it away from the stands until you realized what was about to happen was a night mare. My heart and prayers go out to everyone involved in that tragedy. Lance
gparker

Post by gparker »

Has anyone noticed in the close up photos that the pilot cannot be seen in the cockpit? And that the tailwheel is down? I think the trim tab broke, the pull up was unintentional, and that the pilot was incapacitated from that point on from high G loads.
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The latest scuttlebutt that I've heard is that the arplane was equipped with telemetering and the "G"s
spiked at eleven (11) at the pull-up. That would probably bring out the tailwheel from a locked up position, and account for the lack of the pilots appearance in the cockpit. I would guess that the wings would have been shed except for the reported reduction of five (5) feet from each side.
I do not believe anyone could maintain consciousness through such a severe episode and recover in time to make any effort to guide the airplane before the crash.
BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

That is exactly what happened. The pitch up was from the trim tab failure. The stick force was probably 150 to 200 lbs. when the tab failed. Thats enough to break a rist or an arm. I would estimate that a minimum of 10G's were pulled that caused the tailwheel uplock to fail. Most guys cannot stand more then 8 G's without a pressure suit.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
falco

Post by falco »

Voodoo (another race mustang) did the same thing in '98. Trim tab shed, 10g pullup, pilot passed out. Except he woke up at about 9000 feet and recovered.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

canav8 wrote:... Most guys cannot stand more then 8 G's without a pressure suit.
I think you mean a "G-suit".

(Not to treat this subject lightly but I know for a fact that Ol'Gar passed out when he saw two G-strings.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rhymes

Post by rhymes »

gparker, blueldr and canav8 seem to have surmised correctly. We get our news from the Reno, NV stations (living in the boonies of NE Calif. as we do) and this morning's official Air Race report stated that the apparent loss of the trim tab resulted in a violent pitch-up, most probably causing a loss of consciousness due to G loads. The rest, we all know.
Tragic and sad, no matter what the NTSB findings reveal. Let's hope the Reno Air Races can weather this storm, and come through it safer and stronger.
B.R.
Bruce & Kathy Rhymes
1954 Cessna 170B
N2865C
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Here is a link to an interesting article on the Reno crash in Popular Mechanics magazine. http://www.popularme...e-crash-6481596
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
runerider

Post by runerider »

There is a very good video and tribute to Mr. Leeward. In the slow motion part of the video you can see a piece of the tail come off. http://www.youtube.com/watch It is titled Jimmy Leewards last flight
Last edited by runerider on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang