Returning to the fold - opinions on this airplane

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

John_R.

Returning to the fold - opinions on this airplane

Post by John_R. »

Greetings folks-
Never was very active on our forum, but now (of course) I come to you with hat in hand asking for much needed advice on a potential airplane purchase.
I sold N1297D (1951 170A) a few years ago and have been flying Cirrus, C182T and other modern airplanes since then. Fact: glass panels are great for cross country situational awareness and hard IMC. Another fact: the new airplanes simply aren't as much fun as our classic birds. I need another 170.

My must-have requirements are:
1) IFR-certified
2) Well organized panel with IFR GPS and decent intercom system.

I'm looking at the following a/c on Barnstormers with a serious bent. Pics are at the bottom.
Your opinions are heartily solicited either herein or via PM or e-mail. (If you know the a/c or owner, even more so...)

My sincere thanks.

John
410-827-eight two eight three

"YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS! • FOR SALE • One of the nicest 170's flying today! Complete skin-off restoration completed in 2007 with over $115k invested! All skin was scrubbed and treated with Alodine. 180hp 0-360 with constant speed prop. Everything is new from stem to stern including the interior, paint, glass, etc! Completely new panel with Garmin 530, GMA 340, 327, engine gauges from Aerospace Logic. STOL kit, 180 gear legs, float kit, plumbed for hydraulic skis or amphib floats. BAS harness, tail pulls, Rosen visors, Scott 3200 tw. 1954 170B. 3830 TTAF, 1130 engine. See spec page here. Sam Punderson owner. 207-215-2789. $69,900 • Contact Sam Punderson, Owner - located Carrabassett Valley, ME USA • Telephone: 207 215 [xxxx] . • Posted September 5, 2011"

N170DG specification sheet

• 1954 170B
• 3830 TTAF
• 2 yr restoration that ended in 2007
o This was a skin off restoration. Each piece of the skin was scrubbed clean and treated with Alodine 1201.
o The wings were removed and sent to Cessna to be placed in jig and checked for true
• 180hp O-360 1130 hours since new
• Constant speed prop. 230 hours since major overhaul
• All new scat hoses, brake lines, muffler, etc.
• Concorde lightweight battery
• Leather seats/fully articulating
• New interior from headliner to carpet
• All new windows
• Stainless steel cables and hardware throughout
• BAS tail pulls
• BAS shoulder harnesses
• Rosen visors
• Completely new panel using Avion panel blank
• New glare shield with integrated panel flood lighting
• Vertical card compass
• Garmin GMA 340 audio panel
• Garmin 530
• Garmin 327 transponder
• Bendix/King KY 97A
• Garmin GI-106A CDI
• Ameri-King AK 451 406 MHz ELT
• Aerospace Logic ASL- OL100 oil pressure/temp gauge
• Aerospace Logic ASL-CHT100 cylinder head temp gauge
• Aerospace Logic ASL FP100 Fuel pressure/Amp gauge
• Aerospace Logic EGT-100-4 EGT gauge
• PTT on both pilot and co-pilot yolks
• All wiring/switches/fuses removed and replaced with modern updates
• Atlee Dodge seats in rear with memory foam and leather covers
• Float kit
• Plumbed for hydraulic skis and amphib floats
• Horton STOL kit with fences and tips
• 180 gear legs
• Pponk gear boxes
• 172 yolks
• 185 rudder pedals
• Scott 3200 tailwheel
Attachments
170DGe.jpg
170DGd.jpg
170DGc.jpg
170DGb.jpg
http://barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=585731&ZOOM=5e19ca9d9d5d3663f5d4e2486c884a2b
http://barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=585731&ZOOM=5e19ca9d9d5d3663f5d4e2486c884a2b
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Returning to the fold - opinions on this airplane

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Wow John. So it looks like a 170 in the one picture from the wing tip. Looking at that other pictures might start you to wondering. :? :lol:

Seriouly, looks like a gorgeous plane.

It's missing cross wind landing gear though so how nice could it be. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
John_R.

Post by John_R. »

Yes, Bruce, I see that it's not a REAL 170 by way of the modifications :roll: :D . Seriously though, I'm in the age-old pinch of wanting a bit more speed & a bit more capability than the C-145 puts out, but not wanting to spend the $$ on a Skywagon. I've not flown a 170 with the conversion, but anticipate that the control feel won't be tremendously different.
JMR
3958v

Post by 3958v »

If thats what you want it sure is a lot cheaper than building and equiping one that way yourself. While its not my cup of tea it looks like a great example of a highly modified 170 and it sure beats the modern stuff out there. I just took a pilot friend to Blakesburg and he could not get over the foward visability that the 170 offers. You just can't get that in any other tail dragger or in very few tricycles. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Looking at the pics there's even more.....its a no brainer....if it flies straight, fly it home!!!! Now that I see the ad even I'm thinking of it.
Luckily I mentioned in casual conversation this morning to the Mrs.that I was going to look at a new BMW bike and the response " well you need it to go along with your other stuff and maybe you need a boat" must mean that I almost have the green light.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
starkw1

Post by starkw1 »

John

What is the empty weight?

Warren
Minneapolis
Warren Starkebaum
Plymouth, MN
'48 C-170
RV-7
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

All the above comments are good.... but you DO realize that airplane is not going much faster than a stock one? (You mention that speed is one of your requirements.)

I like the color but Bruce is incorrect about that wingtip.... it's not original. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

It won't cruise faster but the climb will put as smile on your face. The other thing to think about is range as now you'll likely burn combined 9.5 an hour. Yes you can burn less but you'll probably find out that's where everybody will be happy.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Somebody was very serious, and knowledgable, to go to the effort to send the wings back to Cessna for inspection. That says alot to me
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Must be selling it because with all those modifications it won't fit through the hangar door in front of it. :)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wingnut wrote:Somebody was very serious, and knowledgable, to go to the effort to send the wings back to Cessna for inspection. That says alot to me
Yeah.... it says that for shipping purposes..... Kansas is closer to Maine than Arkansas ....(but they didn't get any better work done on those wings.) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:..... Kansas is closer to Maine than Arkansas ....
Is that what you REALLY meant to say, George? If it is, it explains a lot... :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
John_R.

Post by John_R. »

gahorn wrote:All the above comments are good.... but you DO realize that airplane is not going much faster than a stock one? (You mention that speed is one of your requirements.)
I did? Heck, I'm not in it for the speed, man!! :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:..... Kansas is closer to Maine than Arkansas ....
Is that what you REALLY meant to say, George? If it is, it explains a lot... :lol:

Bangor to Wichita is 1359.
Bangor to Mena is 1316.

But for shipping from ME to AR everything must go either thru DFW or CHIcago. Me to Ks is usually thru MEM.

Either way...it's easier to ship to KS... but the point I wished to make is: They must have had SOME reason to send it to Cessna instead of wingnut... it couldn't have been because they expected better workmanship!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Bangor to Wichita is 1359.
Bangor to Mena is 1316.
I know what you meant, but when I first read it, it sounded to me as if you were saying Kansas is closer to Maine than (Kansas is to) Arkansas. 8O
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne