Does The FAA Want More Pilots

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Does The FAA Want More Pilots

Post by 170C »

Dick, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. If the FAA wanted more pilots they would raise the gross weight of the Light Sport Aircraft so those aircraft you mentioned in your letter to the editor (GAN) could be included. I have been asking this for some time myself, but #1 we (the USA) used to be the leader/trend setters, but now it seems we have to follow the European's and become more "one worldly" :evil: #2,I am sure that another deciding factor was all the lobbying $$ that LSA mfg's pumped into the senators/representatives pockets to keep the older aircraft from being able to qualify for LSA, thus protecting their planned new LSA operations. Maybe (when pigs fly) enough pressure will be brought to raise the gross weight-------hope so :?:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Glenn

Re: Does The FAA Want More Pilots

Post by Glenn »

Well the I'm pretty sure Terrafugia was able to get a waiver on the GW because they needed to install airbags to make it street worthy. Maybe that will set a precedence for future GW increases on LSA planes.

As to America being on the leading edge of flight...I believe those days are over. CEOs are selling out to China (Cessna, Continental, Sirrus, ect.) and Washington is letting them do it in spite of the companies in that country being subsidized by the government. The trends for manufacturers are to buisness/commuter jets because that's where the money is. That leaves us GA people out in the cold. It's the small kit manufacturers who will lead the way in for us in the forseeable future. With all the budget issues in the beltway, you can bet they're going to go after the small GA airports and the FAA trust fund to crush us little guys. The local communities and land developers are chomping at the bit to get rid of noisy airports and snatch up prime real estate. Santa Monica airport is a perfect example. I fear we'll soon we'll be riding in Chinese reverse engineered Boeings, pressing "2" to hear control instructions in English, and submitting our Visa #s to flight service to pay for user fees.
I must like the classics. All of my vehicles are older than I am.

Looking for a 1/3 partner in my '48 170. PM for details