9183A destroyed in hangar collapse

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Mark Harwood

9183A destroyed in hangar collapse

Post by Mark Harwood »

:( 9183A had been tied up at home on the lake for a few weeks on skis. We have had so much snow I was concerned about being able to get her off the lake before we went out of town, so I moved her before the next snow storm was due. Less than a week after moving her the hangar collapsed. The field (1b8) lost a Super Cub, a Champ, a c172, A Cher 140 and my 170. One bay was empty. I had really grown to like this plane.I appreciate all the help I have received from this assoc. during the past several years! Mark
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 9183A destroyed in hangar collapse

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Mark sorry to hear of your loss. Having gone through it I know what it feels like. Rest assured there are plenty of good part left of her though, and like my old 170, they will help keep or maybe make another 170 airworthy.

So will you be looking for another 170?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Mark, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss....keep your chin up.. I'm sure you will find another to replace 9183A...
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

A terrible tragedy for you, us and all the other aircraft owners in the hangar. Another 170 gone, what a shame. We all assume it was totaled from your description. I have seen and heard of numerous buildings collapsing from the storm. How much snow did you have? I worry about my hangar now. I don't know how much snow load it is designed for as we don't have that much snow that often here in the Memphis. We have had 15 inches in about 4 hours before, but that is the max we have had since the hangar was built.
Rick
N170MB
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Here's a pic
hangar collapse 011.jpg
Firewall forward all good.
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Mark-
Sorry to hear about your 170. It's always a shame to lose good equipment.

Although I have never had my own plane destroyed while I owned it, my C-180 was also destroyed in a hangar collapse in 1972 which was caused by a tornado. It looked almost like your's with the wings, rear fuselage, and tail pretty much destroyed. The cabin, gear boxes, and firewall forward was about all that was not destroyed.

The owner was given a choice by the insurance company to total it or rebuild it. The plane had given him good service and he really enjoyed flying it so he decided to have it rebuilt. He then flew it for another 10 years until he got too old then sold it to me. I have flown it for another 28 years so far.

That's 38 years that plane has been flying since it was destroyed, giving good service, introducing new people to aviation, conducting many CAP search and rescue missions (including several "finds" and a couple of "saves"), and giving many people very many enjoyable flying hours and experiences.

If you have the chance to save the plane, please do it. It will be worth it.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I hope you have insurance..and/or..the hangarkeeper does. ??? (Make certain your hangar rent was paid and the check cleared.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Sorry to hear it. 83A was a beautiful airplane, and I enjoyed your videos.
ragwingrick

Post by ragwingrick »

Sorry to hear of the loss of your 170 and the other aircraft inthe hangar.
I am new to the TIC170A and this is the first time I have ever posted anything onlie.

My father bought our 1948 ragwing 170 sn 18116 back in 1956. I am told I had over 50 hrs. in the back seat before I was 6 years old.

About 13 years ago dad was landing at our home airport when the neighbours horse walked out in front of him. He tryed to go voer the horse, and go around again. The airplane ALMOST made it over the horse. When everthing came to a stop the horse was dead and the airplane was very badly damaged. The right landing gear leg had been torn out.

We decided to rebuild the airplane, the major damage was to the main gear box, door post firewall and belly skins. The donor aircraft that we salvaged the gear box from was a 170A that had been totalled because the hangar it was in colapsed because of the snow load.

When I had a airframe that was structurly sound and legal it was time to start the wing covering and buying the parts and pieces to make it inti a airplane again.

The last two summers all the parts and pieces came off the walls and out of the rafters, and it is now concidered a aircraft again.

I don't want to sound like a ambulance chaser but IF you decide to part out your airplane, I still need a engine and I would like a better bottom cowl than the one I have.

ragwigrick
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Ragwingrick,
Your not an ambulance chaser, your a doctor!!!! :D
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Ragwigrick,

I would like to see the parts go to a club member!!!

MaRK
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Ragwingrick,

I sent you a PM. If you are interested in any parts from 9183A you need to PM me soon!!
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
ragwingrick

Post by ragwingrick »

Hi Mark
I sent in my membership application about two weeks ago, and I haven't recieved my new membership number in the mail at this time, so I cannot go to pages that are members only.

I am very new at this, and I must admit I don't know all the language. I don't know what PM means

Are we allowed to give out personal information on this form, such as phone numbes and addresses.

I would like to talk to you about some of the parts from your aircraft.

ragwingrick
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Rick, Google search my name with the word construction and email me Mark :D
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rick,

A PM is Private Message. It is a feature of the forum that allows individuals to sent messages to each other privately. Sort of an internal email. To use it click on Marks name. That will take you to his registration page. About half way down on the left it will say Contact Mark Howard. Just to the lower right of that will be the methods Mark allows with can be email, Jabber, Instant messenger and a few other things if Mark uses them but the PM choice should be there.

Clicking the PM choice will get you to a window very much like posting a post except your sending a message to Mark. Mark will be notified next time he visits the forum. He may also get a email that there is a message waiting for him if he has that option set.

You can get to your PMs by looking at the lighter blue bars at near the top of any forum page. One option is User Control Panel then next to that it might say you have a number of messages waiting. Clicking on this note will take you to the PM area directly.

Like everything else with a computer there are many other ways to get to and use the PM feature, this is a small example.

BTW if you figure out the PM thing send me one with your name and if you used the computer to send in your application ie not snail mail, we can probably expedite setting up your member privileges.

It's not generally good to leave personal info like your phone or email at any forum because it can be harvested for spammers. But there is no specific rule against it. PM messages can not be seen by spammers or google bots and are safer for exchange of this information.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com