More Axle Questions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

PilotMikeTX

More Axle Questions

Post by PilotMikeTX »

After re-reading the various threads on the axles and axle bolts, I would like to verify a couple of points.

First, my 170A is pre-19219, so I assume I have 4 x 5/16 axle bolt holes. If I were to replace the axles with any solid aluminum (0541124-1) or hollow steel (1441003-1) axle, would I need to enlarge the bottom holes to 3/8? I assume any axle that I buy today will be drilled with 5/16 top holes and 3/8 on the bottom.

I know this is a good idea anyway, but if it is going to be a difficult and labor intensive project, I may just replace the axle bolts with NAS hardware and avoid carrier landings.

Should I bite the bullet and undertake drilling the gear legs, can this be done with the gear on the plane? What is the preferred setup (drill bits, etc) to ensure that the hole doesn't get elongated in the process. And how does one go about radiusing the edges of the new hole?
minton

Re: More Axle Questions

Post by minton »

I would steer you to Jim Hayton. 360-661-3302 (North Sound Aviation) He has a specialty of recertifying gear legs. I'm sure he can answer your questions.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You can drill them yourself (under the watchful eye of your A&P) and you can radius the hole with a die-grinder.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Yes, it can be easily done with the gear leg on the aircaft. The best method is to use a piloted (not a pilot :lol: ) reamer; a 3/8 ream with a 5/16 pilot. A drill bit tends to "chatter" and may track off center through something that thick, especially when trying to start in a pre-existing hole.

I have the reamer you'll need. I will loan it for shipping cost plus a $30 security deposit, if you promise to use a SLOW rpm drill, AND the Boe-Lube I'll send along with it.

A Uni-bit works great for chamfering the hole. I also have a 3/8 countersink that works well.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
PilotMikeTX

Post by PilotMikeTX »

I think the "pilot reamer" is also called the "Chief Pilot". I've worked for a couple of those in the past.

I'm sending you an email regarding this right now. I do appreciate your help. Thanks!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

PilotMike, there's something else I picked up on in your original post of this thread:
You mentioned considering changing your bolts to NAS and keeping your present (original?) axles.

The NAS hardware is certainly stronger than common AN hardware, and if you choose to do that, it's a fine idea, although unnecessary in my opinion.

The problem with axles is NOT the hardware. It's the original, hollow AXLE. All types of aluminum, hollow axles are subject to failure.

The solution is to switch to the solid aluminum ("ski") axle, or to a steel axle (which happens to be hollow but not subject to the same failure mode as the hollow aluminum ones.)

I recommend you drill out/ream/chamfer your lower gear-legs and install either the solid aluminum or hollow steel axles.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jjdv55

Post by jjdv55 »

I've got a pair of solid aluminum , there yours ,( FREE ) just need your address...I'll consider it a payback to this Forum since I've gleaned so much valuble info and recieved assistance from members like Jim McIntosh..reply my E, JJDV55@Yahoo.com
jjdv55

Post by jjdv55 »

Hello Mike , I'll send them to you first oppurtunity.Pete Brown got me hooked on the 170 after he took me over the glaciers 2 years ago. As I said above , what a great forum this is , all because of the participants.I feel I've got bragging rights. My nephew bought a'60's Mooney ( why ? ) last June, my first conversation with him was ..."How's your forum ?"...
thanks to all.....John de Visser , Vancouver BC.
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

Some time ago I saw a mention of titanium axles. Crowd, are they fact or fiction?
-Scott
avoight

Post by avoight »

Tom Anderson used to make beautiful Ti gear legs I would like to get my hands on a set, but have never heard of Ti axle (PMA'd anyway).
'59 172 TD 220 Franklin mod, Horton STOL, ABI 26" mains, Baby Bushwheel TW and some other stuff...
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Blue4 wrote:Some time ago I saw a mention of titanium axles. Crowd, are they fact or fiction?
-Scott
I thought I linked a Barnstormer's ad for these about a year ago but I searched for it here and on Barnstormers and couldn't find it. I also looked through the FAA's STC's and didn't find it there. As I recall it was somebody in Germany that was selling them for an outrageous amount.
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Scott,
In cleaning out my inbox I found the information you were asking about. Titanium axles are available from Erik van Veenen. Eric's e-mail is pent-ax-5dATt-online.de (replace the AT with @). The lead time is 8-10 weeks as they only make small batches at a time. Now, are you sitting down? The price is $1150/axle. 8O I'd want to see a PMA or STC for that price. On the other hand Cessna wants $1067 for their steel axles (p/n 1441003-1), what's another $83 to get titanium?
Titanium Axle.jpg
Titanium Axle.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
Gary
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

I haven't paid a lot of attention to axles because I changed to solid aluminum in the 80's. In any case, I didn't have to drill the gear legs, the axles had the right size holes for my plane (1950 170A Ser: 19612). Don't they make them like this anymore?
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
4517C

Post by 4517C »

If you choose to install a steel axle, let me suggest that you DO use NAS hardware. That hardware is specified by Cessna for the steel axle installation on the 180. I have personally seen AN axle attachment bolts stretched to a small remaining neck when used with steel axles for off airport operation. Also consider using the "heavy" AN 363 nut on the single bolt attaching the gear to the airplane. That nut has failed in the past with an axial load and the AN363 is considerably stronger than the AN 365. Jake
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

4517C wrote:...Also consider using the "heavy" AN 363 nut on the single bolt attaching the gear to the airplane. That nut has failed in the past with an axial load and the AN363 is considerably stronger than the AN 365. Jake
Or install the Pponk "beef-up" kit, if you don't already have it.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift