window latches

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

floatflyer

window latches

Post by floatflyer »

I operate a 170b in cold temperatures that is fairly drafty. I plan on replacing all the window and door seals this annual and would like to change the factory window latches. I would prefer one latch forward and one aft similiar to the later model 185's. Does any have any ideas where an acceptable latch might be found.

In addition is T-9088 for doors and BA-1055-1 for windows still the best option in seals?

Do you gain anything by adding wind lacing to the interior of the doors?

Thank you
HA

Re: window latches

Post by HA »

if you have good door seal and your door isn't too warped then that will suffice there, no need for windlacing. the new window seal will fix your drafts too if it takes up all the space and makes a tight fit when the latch is closed, presuming your current single latch is in good condition. shouldn't really need 2. the other thing that will give you drafts is air entering through the outside door handle, inside the door is (was) a rubber seal that keeps the door from pressurizing. my airplane used to give me a cold draft around the edges of the interior panel until I figured that out, some rubber seals arranged artfully around the inside of the latch mechanism fixed that.

if your doors are warped then you're going to have to experiment with other sealing methods on top of the normal until you get it stopped up, just doon't pile too much in there and make it so the door has to really get slammed to shut - then you're stressing your door and hinges even more.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

floatflyer, welcome to the forum. There is a tremendous amount of excellent information here to keep our classic (PC for old) airplanes going and going. :wink:
Rick
N170MB
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

floatflyer-
If you use the new style window latches like the 180/185 has, only one will be needed in the center. I had to add the front one on my C-180 but only after installing the 270hp engine. The stock 230hp engine did not need it. The frames are the same on C-170s and the early 180s.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Not sure if this is the correct type of window latch but I found this recently for our 1963 model F172.
see : http://www.niagaraairparts.com/
I haven't purchased yet but may have to if the small alteration to the existing worn handle doesn't work and the window continues to fly open.
Bryce
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The original latches are still available and provide a stop when open, the new style will require some modification to install but should work fine if done correctly except they provide no open stop.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Be careful about changing the latches. While the later 172/182 latches, etc. were/are good latches, your basis of approval might be in jeopardy. Niagara Air Parts does indeed list them, and also claims them to be approved for the 170. But I called them on this two years ago and asked to see their basis of approval, and..... LO!... they had to admit their error. It was NOT approved for the 170 aircraft.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Gerald_Glaser

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

I saw that another C170A owner had done something simple with their window. He had drilled a small vertical hole thru the sill into the door. Then he dropped a stainless steel pin with a handle on it into the hole. This "locks"the window in place and the funky old latch is not really stressed nor holding the window tight.

I was interested in this just to make the aircraft more secure from entry (though the door hinges still aren't secure.) So I tried it 2 years ago. Works great.
The side benefit I found was that in the winter this kept the window tighter and eliminated the drafts. It is not that easy to drop the pin in (you have to wiggle a bit), but the solution is much less expensive (50 cents vs $125).

I still use the old handle for opening and closing. The pin arrangement is just to lock the window and keep it sealed tight.

I have to admit, I continue to look for a more exquisite solution. I find for some of my shorter students, that the old handle binds on the seat back, so they can't open the window on hot days after we land and taxi back.

gg
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A