fuel tanks (replacement)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gpilot.gary

fuel tanks (replacement)

Post by gpilot.gary »

I have a 1948 170 with metal wings and metal fuel tanks 2 12.5 tanks in one side and 1 in the other. The tanks are bad and my gascolator keeps filling with gunk. I want to replace them with something any ideas?
Indopilot

Re: fuel tanks (replacement)

Post by Indopilot »

Are your tanks aluminum ? If so you should be able to clean them out and be back in business, unless they had a hole and someone "fixed " it by sloshing with a sealer. I have taken header tanks from a 206 counted out 100 BB's and with mek and then soapy water shook them till they were clean as a vistle. It is important to recover the same number of BB's as you put in. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
flyguy

Re: fuel tanks (replacement)

Post by flyguy »

Indopilot wrote:Are your tanks aluminum ? If so you should be able to clean them out and be back in business, unless they had a hole and someone "fixed " it by sloshing with a sealer. I have taken header tanks from a 206 counted out 100 BB's and with mek and then soapy water shook them till they were clean as a vistle. It is important to recover the same number of BB's as you put in. Brian
HELL UV A WAY TU WARSH BEE BEES IFN IMA GONNA SHOOT ACKRATE I JES LINE EM UP AN SKWIRT ON A LIL MMO :twisted: BTW AINT SHURE IF I MIS COUNT EITHER WAY :lol:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!