SEB07-5 Seconday Seat Stop Installation

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

SEB07-5 Seconday Seat Stop Installation

Post by Robert Eilers »

I am a little confused about the term "Mandatory" as it relates to Service Bulletins. When is "Mandatory" actually mandatory. I have been told that although the Cessna Service Bulletin SEB07-5 states "cpmpliance is manadatory" that I actually do not have to install the secondary seat stop. Can someone clear up Service Bulletin language for me?
mit

Post by mit »

If you are operating part 91 then they aren't, if it was part of an AD then it would be. Now let the games begin.
Tim
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Bottom line........ Cessna can't tell you what to do. Only the FAA can do that. If it is not listed in an FAA approved TSDS, flight manual or POH, or covered by a A.D. (am I missing anything else?) you don't have to comply for non-commercial operations. Cessna likes to use the word mandatory as a CYA thing in case they end up in court. Think of it this way.... It is not "Mandatory" to comply with service bulletins for part 91 operations even if the service bulletin says it is. Only a combination of lawyers and the FAA could come up with something so confusing :evil:
Last edited by N2865C on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Thanks alot for the responses - clears it up very nicely.
KMac

Post by KMac »

I understand that Cessna pays for the pilot seat. The cessna dealer mech. is concerned that he may have to do both seats to comply with the service bulletin and to get paid. I would like to do the co-pilot seat at a later time (Annual time) and have my mechanic do the work so it doesn't come up as being as expensive. Anyone else run in to this?
Thanks
Kevin
phantomphixer

secondary seat stop

Post by phantomphixer »

Cessna will only pay for the Pilot's seat. They have to do it at an approved Cessna Repair Center. Your local A&P cannot do it and expect to be paid by anyone but you.
Phantomphixer
55' 170B N3585C
Somerton, AZ
KMac

Post by KMac »

I understand that Cessna only pays for the pilot seat - that is all I want them to do. I want to do the co-pilot seat myself at a later time and pay for it myself. The Cessna Mechanic thinks that he has to do both or nothing - with me paying him to do the co-pilot seat.
Kevin
170C

Secondary Seat Stop

Post by 170C »

Well guys, now I am confused (not that it takes a lot to do that :wink: ), I first posted in the Hangar section asking about this service bulletin. The responses all seemed good. Now I am seeing more posts in this area on the same subject. The part that is confusing is there is the mention by KMac and others that Cessna will pay for this if done by an authorized Cessna dealer-----------well what is Cessna going to install? Most folks I know of purchase those Saf-T-Stop's and there really isn't any installation to be done other than to slide the unit onto the seat track and tighten the thumb screw when the seat is in its forward position. They are about $38 from vrs suppliers. (You get two/one pair for that price. I don't know if one pair is sufficient for both seats or if you are supposed to use two /one pair on each seat.) Is Cessna offering to "install" something better than these Saf-T-Stop items? My seat rails were replaced several years ago and I have noticed at the most forward position if I push back on the seat as if using the brakes, I can make the seat slide back, so I have ordered one pair of the Saf-T-Stop's because it is scary to feel the seat come unlatched :!: Almost seems that the rollers have worn to the point it allows the seats to "rock" back and forth to some degree.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

170C - the rollers do actually wear out. One of the early maintenance items I took care of after buying my 170 was to replace the rollers and bushings on the seats. Fresh rollers can make a big difference. With new rollers and bushings and the Saf-T-Stop I am very confident in my seats.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Frank if you can move your seat back by pushing on it something is wrong and it doesn't meet the AD.

You need to fix this ASAP and a Safe-T-Stop is not the fix.

The seat rails, rollers, seat pin and the lower seat frame that wraps around the seat rail all need to be within specification and need to be inspected.

The Safe-T-Stop or the Cessna solution is only an additional safety measure AFTER your seat is operating in good order.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Secondary Seat Stop

Post by 170C »

Good point Bruce. That gets looked at this morning!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KMac

Post by KMac »

The new system that cessna will install for this service bulletin is a intertia reel type deal that bolts to the seat and to the floor. From the Pictures I have seen, it looks like a seatbelt reel that bolts to the seat frame and the end of the belt bolts to the floor.
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

I saw one that had just been installed on a 172. It looks compact and doesnt take up much room under the seat. I plan on takeing mine in as soon as I get it back together. Doing a little winter work on it.

Larry