Favor for anyone with ADLOG or a type certificate program

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cfiatzph

Favor for anyone with ADLOG or a type certificate program

Post by cfiatzph »

I need to know two things:

Did the 1956 Cessna 172 come with cleveland wheels? (was it a option)

Second
For neutral on the trim wheel what degree setting is the trim tab?

Thanks!!!!!!!
GAHorn

Re: Favor for anyone with ADLOG or a type certificate progra

Post by GAHorn »

cfiatzph wrote:I need to know two things:

Did the 1956 Cessna 172 come with cleveland wheels? (was it a option)

Second
For neutral on the trim wheel what degree setting is the trim tab?

Thanks!!!!!!!
It did not come with Cleveland wheels (it came with Goodyear Model LF6HBD Wheel Assembly No. 511960-M and Goodyear Brake Assembly No. 9521239. About 1960 Cessna acquired McCauley and McCauley wheels/brakes began appearing on Cessnas. While they are frequently mistaken for Clevelands...they are NOT the same and parts are not interchangeable. It was much later before Cleveland conversions became popular for Goodyear replacement.)

The trim setting for neutral is.... zero. (It is exactly faired with the elevator.)
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

Appreciate your help George! Thats what I though about the trim but wanted to make sure!!!!!!!

Thanks
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

George,

I sorta inherited this aircraft in the midst of a project. My IA was mentioning that clevelands may be a remove and replace which they are obviously not. What do I do if I can't find the STC? Do I have to buy the STC from cleveland? Or can I just call them and they will give it to me?

Thanks
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In order to install parts under an STC you must properly/legally acquire a legitimate copy. (You may not simply buy parts from the salvage yard and install them on your airplane without a basis of approval.) If you call Parker-Hannifin you may find them willing to sell you the STC reasonably....maybe not... if you tell them the background of the aircraft.
Some folks have photocopied the paperwork from other legitimate owners of a licensed copy of the STC and created "documentation" for the installation, but that is not legal in the strictest sense. (Sorta like being married to someone but never really divorced from the previous spouse.... it depends upon how busy/interested the district attorney is, and how mad the future spouse is, as to whether or not you'll be prosecuted.... but let there be an accident and see whether your insurance company will belly up to the bar and protect your interests if they find out about it.)
You must obtain a legitimately licensed copy of the STC regardless of how you came upon the parts that make up the installation. (An excellent example of the importance of doing good pre-purchase homework.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

These are BRAND NEW wheels and brakes. Its pretty obvious from looking at them (and seeing the brakes and wheels on the ground that were from this aircraft that are in-fact goodyears) , however I don't know if my father had the foresite to relize that it needed a STC. (you can buy them with or without) I have probably 300 + papers. Every instrument has been repaired and replaced all kinds of stuff but I just can't find the cleveland brake STC and they were kept in one place! I don't know whether he bought the brakes through spruce what not. I'm not sure what to do, I do know though that we will need a STC and how to come about that is a mistery!!!!!!!!! Is it possible to buy the STC? I just want to make sure everything is on the up and up because I am selling the aircraft here shortly!

Thanks!
TG

Post by TG »

The paperwork is availiable from Parker for $25
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

So parker will sell me the STC?
cfiatzph@hotmail.com

Thanks!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you contact Parker Hannifin, they may very well have a record of your aircraft by registration and serial number. (When you call them...HAVE THAT INFO.) If so, they may simply send you another copy.
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

For some reason, he did'nt buy the STC because he thought the a/c came with them stock? (you can buy with or without) what do I do then? Can I still buy it?

Thanks
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes. Call them.

Parker Hannifin
AIRCRAFT WHEEL & BRAKE
1160 Center Road
Avon, Ohio 44011-0158

Telephone: 440-937-6211
Fax: 440-937-6416
E-mail: Techhelp@parker.com
Technical Help: 1-800-272-5464
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

Really appreciate it George! You guys have been a big help throughout my 170 years!!!! Shes going up to Alaska now! Ought to be alot of fun for somebody.