Where to get cylinders O/H, is it worth it or buy brand new?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

Where to get cylinders O/H, is it worth it or buy brand new?

Post by sanships »

I'm thinking of overhauling the O-300a some cylinders when I go to the USA, where is the best place to send it in the west coast? Or should I just buy brand new?
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Alvin this has become a tough call. There are a lot of variables to consider. First an overhaul will cost about half that of a new cylinder.

If you have first run cylinders with low time and you just want to freshen them up and you do the install yourself meaning your not paying for some ones time. it could be a viable option.

Most owners can't or don't do their own work so any savings would likely get eaten up over the life of the overhaul replacing those cylinders that crack or don't hold up the second time around. Then there is the down time.

While there is no guarantee of new parts there is some piece of mind as well.

Having said all this, I've inspected and rebuilt (valves, seats and guides) my own serviceable cylinders but I have access to the equipment and expertise to do it. And I consider it only a stop gap measure to buy a few hundred hours before I purchase new.

I think you need to shop around and see for yourself the economics of overhaul verses new. It's probably one more of many decisions we have to make for ourselves for our own situation.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Alvin, I agree with Bruce's assessment and would add something for your consideration:
You seem to be visiting the western U.S. soon and are looking for several western U.S. shops to do work for you. The possibility of you personally visiting these shops to supervise or otherwise oversee their work is unlikely. Freight charges do not vary that much from region to region, so not much will be saved by shipping items 200 miles or 2,000 miles. I recommend you select the various shops not by their western U.S. location criteria...but by their reputation for quality work only,...and pay whatever freight is necessary to get the parts to them. (And bringing those parts with you when you come to visit may involve complicated U.S. Customs issues that are easily avoided by simple freight to/from a service provider, because Customs will view your personal possession of them as an attempt to import them, instead of simply having them serviced.)
For cylinder rebuilding: Gibson Aircraft in El Reno (Oklahoma) (800) 992-4880
gibsonaviation@msn.com and for either rebuilding or new try either Sentry (Ft. Worth) http://www.aircraftcylinders.com/index.htm or (highly recommended) J & J (Pleasanton, TX) http://www.jjairparts.com/ are all shops that I have used for cylinder overhaul/exchange and outright purchase of new or rebuilt cylinders for many years and I've had happy results from all three.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Alvin, if you are still constrained by the 17 days in your previous post, you may have to have them ship them directly to the Philippines. As an individual sending in cylinders for overhaul, you are going to be low priority. High priority goes to there high volume customers.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL