Ratings Held

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Ratings Held

Post by Harold Holiman »

Along the same line of thought as the "First Plane Ride" thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what certificates and ratings 170 Club pilots hold. Personally I am unable to pass a Medical at this time so I am only eligible to exercise Light Sport Pilot flying privileges. I have a Commercial, Single and Multi Engine Land, Single Engine Sea, Instrument Airplane, and a number of years ago I was a Certified Flight Instructor. My wife has a Private, Single Engine Land, but is also unable to pass a Medical at this time. The type of flying I enjoy most is single engine, day, VFR, in a conventional gear airplane. I hope to someday be able to get my Medical back but who knows. Flying has always been a part of our marriage, as Carolyn and I actually met at the airport way back when I had a brand new Private Certificate. What certificates and ratings do ya'll have?

Harold
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Due to illnesses and deaths in the family, including my wife, I have been out of flying for 12 years. At 67, my new wife encourged me to get back in the game. On the last day of march my instructor signed me off, so I have my private.
Private is all I ever had. Maintaining an IFR is too costly for me, unless it is used for business.
I too, most enjoy VFR, lo-n-slo. Not to say I haven't traveled with the 170; it's been all over North America, including northern Canada and Alaska, as far as the Artic Ocean.
I wish they had made the Sport Pilot rating a little more useful. At least be able to fly the 170/Skyhawk or Cherokee class aircraft. As it is now, it's mostly a fly-in and hamburger lunch kind of rating. 8)
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Hate to admitt it but all I have is the private. Still flying the same plane I did the majority of my training in and used for my check ride. I have used it to the max flying all over the country. Some times think of getting the instrument ticket but have not wanted to rent a plane or put the required radios in mine. Very few times though that I would have used one if I had it as I dont believe I would be too comfortable flying IFR in a 59 year old plane. I sure would like to see the Sport Pilot rules extended to 170s with 2 people on board. Frankly the person passing me in the other direction on a two lane road concerns me a whole lot mor than someone flying over in a 172 type plane.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Plummit

Post by Plummit »

PPASEL, glider and rotor wing (helicopter). Currently working on my instument (again) and this time I intend to finish it! I love flying in poor vis, and where I live (KLGB) we often have times of low ceilings/reduced visual range. Not really looking to fly hard IFR, but it's nice to be able to go when things are ugly (or not) and have another set of eyes on the ground looking out for you.

regards

~Marc
170C

Ratings

Post by 170C »

I, like a lot of others, hold only a single engine, land rating. I have numerous times I wished I had an instrument rating that would make me legal to punch up through a low deck into clear sky and go to my destination, then let down through a deck, if necessary, to safely arrive. I just have never pursued it. I enjoy flying just for the fun of it , but being able to go to fly ins' s conventions, going to see family, etc.

I also wish the FAA could have done some thinking on their own rather than being a "copy cat" after the Europeans. Single engine, two place planes like C-120's, 140's, 150's, 152's, Piper 140's and many other similiar light planes would have worked very well in the Light Sport catagory, but I suppose that would have hurt the mfg's who are now building the new ones that, for the most part are at or near $100K. This puts a lot of them out of the reach of a lot of the folks who would like to use the Light Sport Catagory.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Here are my ratings copied right from my certificates because I can never remember the exact verbiage.

Airline Transport Pilot Rotorcraft-Helicopter. Commercial Privileges Single and Multi Engine Land Airplane, Instrument Airplane.

Flight Instructor Airplane Single and Multi Engine; Rotorcraft-Helicopter; Instrument Airplane and Helicopter.

I received most of my Helicopter ratings thought the training I got in the Army. I only pursued the Helicopter ATP because I get paid more for having it and it does open more job opportunities. I went after my airplane commercial rating only so I could clean up my ratings and at the time have both a Helicopter and Airplane Commercial rating and to take advantage of any copilot multi engine opportunities that come my way.

I pursued my CFII mostly for professional development (it looks good on the resume) and to help out my friends with BFRs and tail wheel endorsements if it suits me. But I'd never had finished it if it weren't for the encouragement of a local FSDO Safety Inspector who always asks when I'll be ready for that next rating. One of these days I'll get my airplane ATP so I can shut him up but then there is always the Seaplane and Glider ratings. 8O

For those that don't have a medical, I am flying with a First Class Medical under Special Issuance after a heart attack and triple bypass surgery.

If you want to get your medical back there is almost always a way to do it today. You just have to be willing to jump through the hoops and only you can decide if it's worth it or not.

And Harold, once you are awarded a rating unless you surrender it you always hold the rating. You may not be current or qualified to exercise the privileges of your ratings, but you always hold the ratings.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Harold,
You asked for this, On the last thread ( first flight) I said that the rest of the story was to bouring, but here goes!! I started flying with my dad. I never had a real intrest in aviatiion until my brother and I lost the farm, (we bought dad out in 1987 and then 1988 hit the mid west, the old farmers said that they had never seen any thing so bad since the Chinch bugs of "37" ) any way Brent and I were out of farming! ( it took us until 1993 to get our finances paid off.) Brent was a APIA. I had no real reason to live! at the time outside of warm body to do work that Brent said I could do! I was looking to wright a grant for aviation engerning but they ( the JOPA) said that they couldn't get me any thing like that! They asked me what I wanted to do with the rest of my life out side of engerning. I thought about it for a long time and said if not agracultre then aviation! (seams I never left the "A'S") So maby there is something left for me after 50 Yearls old!! Coming up in two weeks But anyway My ratings are (flight) Commercial - Multi - Instrument -CFIAI (mechanic) APIA
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I started flying in 1970, and got my S. E. commercial and instrument (in that order) under the GI Bill in '71-72 while stationed in Hawaii. Got the seaplane rating in '96 as a fun flying weekend with a friend who was due for a flight review, as was I.

I retired in January a year ago, and the next day started working on a CFI ticket, which I'm hoping to have done this month. If I were a practical man I would have had the good sense not to do this, but I was hooked from the moment I started studying. I'm beginning to think I won't really learn to fly until I've taught a lot of other people to do it. Some day I'm hoping it will help me to become the pilot I've always wanted to be. But I'm beginning to think maybe that target is like a mirage, in a fixed position always just out of reach! :wink:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

The greatest growth I experienced as a pilot occurred during the years I instructed full-time - everyday - 8 to 12 hours a day - in and out of different aircraft - with pilots of varied skill levels - basic, advanced, instrument, multi-engine, ATP. I developed a sixth sense regarding the condition of the aircraft, i.e., airspeed, angle of attack, load factor and learned just how far an aircraft can go and still recover without damage or injury. I developed a tremendous respect for how well engineered most aircraft are. By trying to find the best method to instruct an individual, I learned to examine maneuvers, emergencies and routine aircraft operations from different perspectives solidifying my own assimilation. I developed the ability to see a problem coming in the very early stages and anticipate it. I also learned efficient and assertive communication. I never regretted my years as a flight instructor and am certain I am a better pilot today because of the experience. I am just thankful I don't have to make a living doing it.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

It is always good to hear of experienced pilots becoming CFIs. We need good CFIs and especially CFIs who fly tail wheel a/c. I hope John R. gets the opportunity to use that rating and I'm sure he will benefit from it. Someone once said that while a CFI gives students primary instruction, the students are giving the CFI advanced training.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Just a lowly 'ol single engine land / private pilot here. Suits me just fine. ;)
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Well, I've been flying for a living since 1974 - the airlines since 1978. So obviously I've added ratings and certificates that have absolutely nothing to do with flying my 170...

ATP, airplane single and multi-engine land (that's right - single-engine; my first ATP ride in 1978 was in a 172. This one always brings up a comment on check rides!) Type-rated Airbus A-320, Boeing 737, 757, 767, Fokker F-28, Douglas DC-3 and DC-8. Flight Engineer, Turbo-jet (flew the 727, DC-8 and DC-10.) Flight Instructor Airplane, Instrument and Multi-Engine (expired in 1982.) Also Ground Instructor, Basic.

And my favorite...Private pilot, glider! Got about 80 hours in sailplanes in the early 1980s, great sport...Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I second Roberts Eilers comments on being a CFI. The years I spent from 1974 to 1977 instructing were the greatest learning experience of my career. The biggest kick I got was taking someone off the street from first lesson to solo. One of those guys I taught from scratch is only about six months behind me on the seniority list at US Airways.

Another thrill I had was soloing and taking thru her Private Pilot checkride a 62 year-old woman - I was 22 at at the time. That was the biggest
challenge I ever had as a CFI. Ever.

Another highlight was giving a BFR to a guy in his 1958 Cessna 310B. It was like having to check Sky King himself...Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

PPSEL with instrument airplane. I hope to get my seaplane done this summer for fun if I can find the time, and start work on my commercial this fall or winter.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have SEL and working on my Instrument with a Private Pilot.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT