Nose Cowl cracks with 0-360

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Boiler Bill

shaking

Post by Boiler Bill »

The 0360 is a great mod for the 170s. It becomes a real 4 place airplane under most conditions. Its smooth but its loud compaired to the stock engine. Just wear noise canceling head phones and its very quite.
As far a shaking, this is what I have noticed. It does not matter if its in a SuperCub or a 170 They shake on start up and shut down and I have not figured out a way to stop that, its just the way they are with that type of mount and engine. I would never go back to a stock engine after running the 180 Lycoming in my 170, but that is only because of the mountains we have in the northwest and the weight I want to carry in the plane. If I lived in flatter country I would be very happy with the stock engine. As far as being bullet proof, you just never know, a friend of mine just lost his entire engine due to rounding off a lobe on the cam shaft, It had less than 1000 hours on it. When the engine stopped it froze up solid with no warning. That was a 180 Lycoming, but any engine can do that. While cruzing in my 170B with a constant speed prop at 2500 ft. I was able to throttle back 90 miles per hour and get 6.4 gals.per hour on a faster cruze speed at about 135 miles per hour we were getting 8.6 gals per hour. Im happy with the combination.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Joe Moilanen wrote:800' strip? I'm getting out of my 650' strip with the 145 hp (8043 prop though). When mine reaches TBO I'm going for the 0-360 Lycoming. As far as not making it to TBO without a "top", I've seen a lot of 0-360's go to TBO or 2400 hour without a TOH. If any engine can do it, its the 0-320 or 0-360. About as bullet proof as they come. With a dynamic prop balance, the woes of vibration cracking should be mute.

Joe
Good Day!

I base my 170A out of Auburn Washington. I am currently doing my annual and a few improvements to the airplane. I just finished installing the late style fuel selector valve getting rid of the old brass valve. New tack and overhauled the T&B.

More to the point I just purchased a 8042 - 43 what ever prop & the STC until I get some RPM & performance numbers. I just bought a new Tach the old one could not be overhauled. I read with interest your comments about 650 ft take off.

I am wondering what sort of climb indication you are getting?

Regards,

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Hi Jim,

I haven't done any exact calculations but it's impressive compared to a cruise prop. The engine is turning 2700 at best rate of climb so you are getting the max power when you need it. I don't think I've met you or Boiler Bill, we'll have to get together and meet up one of these days. I'm not to far south of you guys (Longview). Do either one of you know Karl Majerle? He has a 1000' strip in Duvall. It's on the newer sectionals. I have girlfriend in Carnation and fly up ther once in a while. I'll let you guys know next time I head up that way.

Joe
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Hi Jim,

I haven't done any exact calculations but it's impressive compared to a cruise prop. The engine is turning 2700 at best rate of climb so you are getting the max power when you need it. I don't think I've met you or Boiler Bill, we'll have to get together and meet up one of these days. I'm not to far south of you guys (Longview). Do either one of you know Karl Majerle? He has a 1000' strip in Duvall. It's on the newer sectionals. I have girlfriend in Carnation and fly up ther once in a while. I'll let you guys know next time I head up that way.

Joe
So I guess the next question will be what RPM at what cruise speed do you usually see?

My Fiend has a 1956 172 TD. We fly to Idaho Montana most years for recreation. I have usually flown a 172 or 182 so this will be the first time for my 170 thus the 80 43 prop. I will play with it a lot before I use in the back country but every data point I can collect is useful.
There are two other 170Bs at Auburn. They are parked in open hangers I have met and talked with Dave Whitney several times. He recently got his and posts here from time to time I have not met the other owner yet.

Yes we will have to get together

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Boiler Bill

170s

Post by Boiler Bill »

Hi Jim and Joe

I do know Karl in Duval. Very nice guy and has a good 170B. He put on a SeaPlane Prop. and it made a big difference in take off performance. He also needs a good crank for a rebuild. I bought my 170B from Loydd Koher who kept N8076A in Renton. He is a great guy and I promised to just keep making his plane up hold the tradition and quality it deserves.
I bought a place just west of Arlington Airport on south end of Frontier Airpark. Im clearing a field and will plant it in grass for a 170 meet this summer. Hope to see you there and at other places

Bill
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Hi Bill and Jim,

At 2450 I cruise at about 105-108 mph.

I love the idaho back country too, and respect the density altitude there. I've been into Johnson Crk., Moose Creek, Big Crk., Fish lake, Indian Crk., Magee, Orogrande, Cabin Crk., Soldier Bar, Dixie City, Dixie USFS, Elk City. Two people, light, and preferably in the morning on some of the tighter ones.

Loydd is a good friend of mine. Hell of a guy. I met him years ago at the Evergreen fly-in and have always made a point of going out to eat pizza with him and drink beer with him at every fly-in since. Always made sure that he had his tent set up before he got too carried away. One year he had to just crawl into it with out getting it set up. Must have been those Rainier Ice beers he was drinking! Tell him Joe says Hi! You've got a nice plane.

We'll have to get together. I'll give you the coordinates to my strip when the grass comes up this Spring.

Joe
Boiler Bill

Gathering

Post by Boiler Bill »

Sounds like fun Joe. Count me in.

Bill
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Speaking of Idaho... have any of you been to Cavanauge Bay. It is really a nice place to camp. Not isolated but a beautiful place and a bit of paradise. I made the trip from Mississippi to Idaho last summer. I also went into Magee and the small town of Elk River. Forrest fires prevented me from going into southern Idaho. I hope to make the trip again someday. You guys out west are very fortunate.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Yes, Cavanaugh Bay is a neat place. Great food at the restaurant also. Another nice strip close by to Cavanaugh is Sullivan Lake in NE Washington.

Joe
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Yeah, I was told about Sullivan Lake. It is really close to Cav. Bay i understand. I really enjoyed Idaho. I have a son going to school near Sandpoint and I plan on visiting again this Feb. Flying on the big tube this time. Hope to do a little skiing at Schweitzer and enjoy the town of Sandpoint. I rented a condo on Lake Pend Oreille rather than up on the ski hill.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D