What else do you fly?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Here is my other plane.
Pavewlc

Post by Pavewlc »

That is an awsome pic!!!

I'm an Air Force guy on Ft Rucker; it's a different lifestyle for sure but I like it. I think I may steal you photo idea and see about getting a photo of the Huey with the the 170. The fly just about the same! 90-100 kts and you have to use your feet.

Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Lee,

As a helicopter guy in the Air Force I would think that you are in a small fraternity. Have you done any flying outside of the school house? I assume that if you are at Ft. Rucker you are at the school house. If so what were you flying; I thought at one time being an FE on the rescue birds would be a noble occupation. Now that I have been shot at it would be nice to be able to shoot back also. :twisted:
Pavewlc

Post by Pavewlc »

Bill,
I flew MH-53J/M's for about 12 years before coming to the school house here at Rucker; it's been a nice break off the road for me and the family. I flew mostly SOF missions but some CSAR here and there. Our students graduate here to go on the fly SOF, CSAR, and Missle support missions.
It is a very small group for all involved; Pilots, FE's and Gunners and I wouldn't change it for the world. I still have close friends from all three areas.
Yes having guns is nice, but as others will tell you tracers work both ways! :P
Take care,
Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I fly a Hawker 800XP and a KingAir 200 for Healthcare CO. and my wife flies an Airbus 300 for UPS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

tailpilot wrote:I fly a Hawker 800XP and a KingAir 200 for Healthcare CO. and my wife flies an Airbus 300 for UPS
Do you ever recurrent train at SimuFlite? (There are two of us TIC170A members there who give training in the 800XP, and one of the Sim-tech's is also a member.) Or do you only go to "brand X"? :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK. Thought there was enough interested helicopter pilots on the forum to see the pictures of two of the helicoters I'm flying most often right now. That is me departing in the 222UT/SP with a patient on board for the hospital 12 minutes away. The S-76++ in the background is waiting for the call.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Plummit wrote: There's nothing to be envious about: You get to fly when YOU want to. The paid professional HAS to fly - even if they don't feel like it.
My dad says there's two kinds of airplanes: those that giveth and those that taketh away. He made his living flying airplanes (those that giveth :wink: ) for around 30 years, but hasn't earned a nickel doing it since he retired 18 years ago. He's had some pretty good offers to fly a DC-3, check out in and fly a Ford Trimotor, etc., but hasn't taken anyone up on the offers due to the fact he no longer has the desire to fly on someone else's schedule. He currently uses his C-310 and Yak 52-TW (those that taketh away :wink: ) to do his part to prevent an oversupply of 100LL.

BTW, more to the point of the thread: Off the top of my head, airplanes I've PIC'd: C-150, C-152, C170B, C172, J-3, PA28-140 & 161, MiniMAX, HiMAX, Hyperlight, Flybaby, Aeronca 11AC, T-craft BC-12D, PT-17, BT-13.

Others I've been fortunate enough to have been allowed to fly (and land): C-170A, C-120, C-177, Grumman AA-1, Luscombe 8?, C-310, Feisler Storch, J-4, Mooney M20C, RV-6 & 6A, Lancair ES.

Sorry Bruce, but I've never been off the ground in a helicopter; too many parts trying to stay in formation. :twisted:

Miles
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Oxymorons: Amicable Divorce. Good Lawyer. Military Intelligence. Helicopter Pilot.

:lol:

(The first time I was ever off the ground was a Bell 47 during a Boy Scout trip. Cost $5 for two of us to go up on a 10 minute ride (in 1959.) The second time was in a Bell Ranger, landing on a skyscraper top in downtown Houston (in 1983.) I loved the first. I was terrified the second, watching that tiny pad on top of that narrow skyscraper at near-zero airspeed, approach from between my rudder pedals. 8O
I'd like to get the rating someday. If you ever get to visit with him in person about it, Bruce is way too calm about his profession.) :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
KG

Post by KG »

Hi all! I'm usually one of those lurkers here as I don't yet own a 170. I've gotten close a couple of times but something allways seems to come up. (The lastest being a daughter trying to finish college, who also has a new baby and a deadbeat husband..... don't get me started on that) Anyway, for my day job I fly a 737-700 just like 4-Shipps pictured above except mine has a big "a" on the tail. I've also flogged around in DC-8s, early model Learjets, and have about 4500 hours or so in Alaska in various light singles and twins.

I haven't given up on buying a 170. This forum has been the cheapest education I have ever had. For $45 I now know more about them than some of the owners I've talked to.

Keith Getz
bipolar

Post by bipolar »

Hello
Would like to start this post by wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
Reading this thread illustrates why pilots never run out of things to talk about,very impressive cross section of the industry.
My day job is flying B737-600,700,800.Other work related types from the past ,DHC-6Twin Otter(my favorite of all time)The Beech family 90,99,100and200.Navajo,Islander,Cessna 185,206,207,337...that pretty well covers the bush days.My first paying jobs in the industry were ag-based and I flew Pawnee,Ag-truck,Ag-cat and Thrush.
Just coming up on 24 years as a pro and all I can say is it has sure beat working for a living.And when the airline stuff starts to annoy me I have a 56 170B to put things back in perspective.
....we get to fly,how bad can it be......
Bipolar
quintdxb

What else do you fly?

Post by quintdxb »

Airbus A330-200, A340-300 and A340-500. :D
HA

Post by HA »

all you heavy iron guys are making me jealous, but then again not

I fly the stuff our company uses most - Cessna 340's, Cheyenne II's, King Air 90/200/350, Seneca II's

but I get to fly them in thunderstorms and winter storms, and do atmospheric research in all kinds of conditions. so there are benefits, gotta love a challenge :D

and this weekend when I get home again I'll take the wife and kids up in the family bird and check out the Christmas lights, that's cool too
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
dacker

Post by dacker »

The only "second airplane" I would like to fly is what Bruce flies. I have never been enamored of the other "big iron"... airlines, corporate jets, etc, don't do much for me. Helicopters though, are king! There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about flying that big old H-3 again.

Last spring I started flying the little Robby to try to get back into the helicopter game, it was to say the least, humbling. That is one squirrely little helicopter, fun, but squirrely. At $245 an hour though, you have to make every minute count ($4/minute shooting out the exhaust), no sight seeing, or goofing around, just serious training.
Bruce, you the man!
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And they actually pay Bruce real dollars to do that. :roll: