New Owner - C170A N5LP

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MeeksDigital

New Owner - C170A N5LP

Post by MeeksDigital »

I just picked up my new plane, N5LP in Taunton Massachusetts yesterday. My friend Warren and I are flying it home to California, and are currently weathered in at New Haven, Connecticut with high winds and cold temperatures.

I'm so excited about the new plane, just thought I'd share the news! Check out our blog of the trip if you'd like, which I'll try and update every day of our travels: http://www.meeksdigital.blogspot.com

-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Nice lookin plane, congrats.
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I believe that is the first C170 I have seen with the stall fences.
170C

New C-170

Post by 170C »

That's a really nice looking 170 and a nice photo also. Congrat's on getting it and I will look forward to other photos on your trip back home.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
15A

Post by 15A »

Very nice plane! I'm based at Taunton with my 172TD and got a chance to poke my head in that 170 while it was all opened up. The guys that did the inspection are very, very meticulous. You were in good hands! Nice shot of you guys in the plane with all those cranberries in the background. Will be following your adventure across the country. Keep us posted!
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Trevor,
Nice airplane,what stol kit does it have? Where was the picture taken?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Nothing like a little trip to get familiar, good picture and nice plane. Looks like it a Horton kit, got a picture with the aircraft on the ground taken from the front?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those are cranberries!? I thought they were trailerhouses! :roll:

:lol: :lol: (nice lookin' airplane! Join TIC170A!)

The photo by American Aero Servces...that the one in Florida? They do good work too.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
15A

Post by 15A »

Yes... Those are cranberries and those are cranberry bogs! Southeastern Mass. is peppered with them. Most are harvested by now.
American Aero Service is owned and operated by Mike Dupont here at the Taunton Airport. We all meet at Mikes on Sunday mornings to go for breakfast. Lots of fun!
(Trailer houses??? Where do you think this is, down South???)
Mike was probably in the Super Chipmunk clipping across in front of the 170 snapping pics.
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

WOW .... what a great looking aircraft. You mentioned your north of San Fran. I was in that area early 05 and was driving back from the wine country. My girlfriend and I stopped by a small airstrip just off a two lane road because their was a lockheed Hudson in the grass. We stopped and looked around ... in one of the hangers was a P-40 Warhawk under restoration. Place was wide open with nobody around to talk to. We stayed for about 1/2 hour and still nobody came .......... :? It was about 1 hour north of San Fran in a very flat area.

Does that sound familiar ???

Have a safe journey :!:

Regards,

Kyle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Kyle,

That was Sonoma Valley Airport, 0Q3, best known as Schellville.
It is a hotbed of antiques, classics, homebilts, etc. Always something of interest to see. Good bunch of dedicated aviators there.
The airplane you saw was not a Lockheed Hudson. It was a Lockheed (Vega) Harpoon, a PV-2, wwII Navy Bomber, a follow on of the Vega Ventura, PV-1. They were a really hot machine and could go like hell with two P&W R-2800 engines. I used to help build the Venturas when I worked for Vega (Lockheed) back just before we got into WWII.
BL
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Schellville is a great place to stop if you are in the area. http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/usaah/index.html It's legendary for it's great collection of exceptional aircraft. There is a winery about a mile or so up the road. A bit of a walk, but it's a great place for lunch. It's just a short hop to Sonoma where there are lot's of great places to stay.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

You know it's just amazing the ability of this group to just put a finger on just what your talking about. One of the great things about our association I guess.

Thanks for the info on the field, and the plane. Susan and I hung around and got as close to the Harpoon as we dared. As I remember it had bees nests hanging off, and in many of its holes.

Love to stop back their sometime. Enjoyed looking at the webb page as well.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
johneeb

Re: New Owner - C170A N5LP

Post by johneeb »

MeeksDigital wrote:I just picked up my new plane, N5LP in Taunton Massachusetts yesterday. My friend Warren and I are flying it home to California, and are currently weathered in at New Haven, Connecticut with high winds and cold temperatures.

I'm so excited about the new plane, just thought I'd share the news! Check out our blog of the trip if you'd like, which I'll try and update every day of our travels: http://www.meeksdigital.blogspot.com

Trevor, are you alright? It has been three days without an update on your Blog. :(
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
15A

Post by 15A »

Just got an update on those 2. They're in El Paso tonite and everything is going good! Just no time to post.
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM