Fargo Mechanic

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAD

Fargo Mechanic

Post by GAD »

Can anyone put in touch with a good 170 mechanic near Fargo, ND for a prepurchase inspection?

Thanks for the MN contacts!

Thanks, Greg
GAD
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Greg,

The mechanics in Casselton are very good.

http://www.casselton.com/airport/

Casselton is only 35 NM from Fargo.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
HA

Post by HA »

probably I shouldn't mention our outfit, conflict of interest I'd guess

the guys in Casselton are pretty good too, the owner used to work for us and we still work with him on some stuff
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA wrote:probably I shouldn't mention our outfit, conflict of interest I'd guess

the guys in Casselton are pretty good too, the owner used to work for us and we still work with him on some stuff
Naaa! Go ahead and mention it! (And give contact info/capabilities.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
HA

Post by HA »

wow, OK - Fargo Jet Center (http://www.fargojet.com), talk to Mike Clancy or Brent Allen at 701-235-3600. We work on everything from C120's through Challengers, light and heavy mx and avionics. I think we have a bunch of pretty capable mechanics but like I said I'm biased :wink:

Trent Teets in Casselton (AIC Maintenance) is also a DAR (designated Airworthiness Representative) and can assist with airworthiness cert issues, we use him for that very purpose when we modify aircraft for cloud seeding or research and put them in multiple category. Mike from FJC can also assist with exporting if needed, as we run many aircraft overseas.

Ok, ad over. hope one of us can help out.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

"Fargo Jet Center"---- Even the name sounds really expensive. I guess there must be some very wealthy C-120 owners out there.
"Jet Centers" here in California are always VERY expensive because their burden is so high.
As a matter of curiousity, would you care to quote your labor rate?
BL
HA

Post by HA »

fancy name, regular place. "big city" in ND is all relative

$68/hr piston, $75/hr turbine.

I called my friendly Dodge dealer, they charge $92/hr. maybe we should raise our rates :roll:
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. I'm am amazed/flabbergasted/ticked-off (choose one) whenever I take Jamie's Saturn (100 miles round-trip....no Saturn dealers in small towns) .. in to the dealer (because everything on that car is proprietary :evil: ) .... and find they charge $88 an hour and then they can't do it right the first time...and they don't have the federal gov't after them if they screw it up. (Good luck trying to talk directly to the guy that did the screw up!)
My local IA charges $15 hr to "supervise" my work, $25 to do it himself. (But he probably has his rates inadvertently reversed!) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
flat country pilot

Wow, battle of the FBOs. :D

I suggested Casselton because they have a good reputation. My plane actually gets its TLC in Bismarck. I have bought fuel at Fargo Jet Center and would have no problem with them fixing my plane, if it needed it.

Shop rates can be relative. I’ll bet Fargo Jet Center does the work right the first time and stands behind it.

It bugs me when a shop charges a high hourly rate and then adds the cost of shop towels, floor dry and the parts washer fluid to the bill. This happened to me with a tractor once, once! It costs more time to count shop towels and measure floor dry than what those items are worth. :x

Greg,

Call both places and maybe more. Ask some questions and see that they will do what you want done. I hope you get a plane you want. Let us know what shop you do use.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bill..... those "Misc Charges" are B___ S__t as far as I am concerned and I NEVER PAY THEM.

I always REFUSE to pay them and make them take it off the invoice. They try to talk me out of it, and I simply tell them they'll have to sue me, becaue I'm taking my vehicle/airplane they're taking it off the bill. Period.
They always do.

My reason?: Their paper, soap, WD-40, towels, etc etc are the COST OF DOING BUSINESS!
The restaurant doesn't charge for soap or towels, or toothpicks and I'm not paying for the shop's tools, or supplies!!!!!!

This is simply a way to GOUGE us! It is POOR BOOKKEEPING on their part if they cannot account for such items, and I absolutely, resolutely, always and NEVER pay it. And they always finally agree.

If we all did this, then we'd all finally STOP THIS SORT OF ABUSE OF GOOD CUSTOMERS!

MY 2 cents.
flat country pilot

Go George!

I won't go back to that place, ever! (And ever is a real long time :lol: )

Shop supplies are the cost of doing business. That is what the hourly shop rate is for.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAD

Post by GAD »

Thanks for the leads.

HA, I have actually been into the Fargo Jet Center several times over the past six years with a Jet Ranger for fuel and flight planning and have always been impressed with the facility and more importantly the hospitality. No plug intended, just giving credit where it is due.

As far as the inspection is concerned, I am going to have to do something else as the seller is not willing to meet me elsewhere with the plane. Although he has invited me to bring my mechanic and to “fly the plane all day with his friend” (an experienced tail wheel pilot) he is not willing to bring the plane to another location due to his ability and insurance. I’m sure some will think this a little fishy but what do you do? I’ll still fly the plane and give it a good inspection. I’ll just have to do a little more driving!

Regards, Greg
GAD