Make sure your seat stop is engaged!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

Make sure your seat stop is engaged!

Post by rupertjl »

I always check to make sure my seat stop is engaged, except for last evening...luckily I was taxing at a speed no faster than what I would want to hit something and was able to hang on to the instrument panel enough to engaged both brakes evenly to get stopped. I almost always check, and for some reason I didn't last night...I think I may have to add that to the checklist! Just want to remind everyone...I can only imagine what would have happened if the seat let go during takeoff...

v/r,
Jud
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Do you have the Sav T Stop seat stop on your seat rail?
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I have the u-bracket and pin on the seat rails, I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. Do you have a picture or link?
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Curtis Brown wrote:Do you have the Sav T Stop seat stop on your seat rail?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

No, I don't have one of those...but where do I get them? It scared me enough to want them now!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

rupertjl wrote:No, I don't have one of those...but where do I get them? It scared me enough to want them now!
The WEB site for the Red and Black aeroStop is http://www.aerostop.com/ I do not know the contact information for the Sav T Stop. I prefer the Aerostop as it is easier to engage and disengage.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

That Aerostop looks inviting, I use the saf-t-stops in conjunction with the original Cessna locks, but find that even with my long arms and relative athleticism it is a hard maneuver to reach around and loosen them. The lever looks like a better setup.

Edit: I did say "relative" you guys leave me alone!
Last edited by futr_alaskaflyer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Just ordered the Aerostop one, ~$80 shipped to the front door, definitely worth it after last night!
CBogle

Seat Rail Stop

Post by CBogle »

I have my u-bracket and with safety pin through the seat rail hole that only allows my pilot seat to slide back from the first hole position by about 8". So, even when my seat is back as far as it can go, I can still reach the rudder pedals. Although this 8" slide back happening at the wrong moment might be quite a surprise, I'd still be albe to reach the rudder pedals and control wheel.

The only downside to this arrangement that I am aware of, is that you don't get alot of room to slide into the pilot's seat when boarding. I'm not that big (nor am I that small either) but I have had no problem at all getting into and out of the seat.

Regards,

Curt
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I like to look and the ease of the aerostop.....I am going to order tonight :D
Not too long ago I had the seat come undone at about 20mph 8O I checked the seat before take off by rocking it back and forth and things looked good.....I am 6' so I was able to chop the power and slide forward enough to get back under control and stop the aircraft :oops: The key was....just staying calm and not slamming down on the rudder to get back to the center of the runway and I think saying "OH F@#%" may have helped some.
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Come to think of it, my u-brackets are in place to only allow the seat to go back so far, so that probably helped me keep the feet on the pedals...plus the fact that I had my hand on the throttle so that was cut when I started going back as well. But if this aerostop unit works, once I"m "clicked in" i could run it the whole way up and even if the seat would pop out , I wouldn't go anywhere...I like that idea.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I've used an Aerostop for a couple of years and I like it. I've never had it loosen up, but it's a good idea to tell anyone in the back seat what it is, so if they inadvertently kick it they'll know that's a bad thing.

It's part of my pre-start "flow" to go up the center of the airplane: seat stop, fuel valve, trim, flap handle, mixture, throttle, switches, mags, master, starter.

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Don't forget to place a seat stop on the passenger side also. You never know what they may grab hold of if sliding back unexpectedly. Also inform them how to release it in an emergency. You may also want to place placards in the door frame that info rescue personnel how to release stops.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

An emergency saftey stop can be improvised by using a small pair of five inch VISE GRIPS. Make it tight, grips side of rail.

One time emergency use only . Buy the right tool and use it.

Many new people interested in 50+ Year old design airplane we need to remember to talk about this seat track rig often.

regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C