Which Aviation GPS is the best for the money???

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are certainly lots of GPS's with lots of cool features on the market these days. But in keeping with the subject title "Which Aviation GPS is the best for the money???" .... I can't help but say I think it is still the Garmin 196, as for as portables go. And with the prices asked for barely-used units being traded in on color 296/396/496 units, ... the 196 is an even better deal!
I have used mine to complete an IFR let-down when dual FMS's died in a Citation. (I hadn't planned on that use of it, but it was up and running as a log-record on the same flight plan because it keeps my logbooks automatically for me, and I used it to generate pilot-fee invoices to customers for flights made in their aircraft.) I was already cleared for a GPS approach and on the let-down, and already handed off to final approach when everything onboard died. I ought to write Garmin a testimonial on that trip.
I'm sure many other units would have performed just as well in that situation, I just find the 196 to fill most of the needs I've found useful in professional grade stuff, but in an inexpensive portable. Used prices are much lower than the already excellent value of a new one, IMHO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
iowa

Post by iowa »

hi george
how much are the used 196's going for?
i might just be tempted
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

From our own Trademart: 296 - $1200, 196 - $550.

One way to determine a value or going rate for such things is to do a search at Ebay for the item and look at completed sales. In doing so the average selling price for a 196 seems to be about $550. There are a few that sold for $100 less and a few $100 more probably reflecting the accessories that where sold with it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'd like to offer a caveat on shopping for avionics at online auctons... while Bruce's comment is an excellent pricing-tool, if you should actually buy one at online auctions you may have no recourse should you later find that the thing had been dropped into the bathtub, stored in someones car-trunk on hot summer days, or other unforseeen calamity that might make the unit less than fully dependable.
If you buy one from established avionics dealers who have taken them in on trade, if such mistreatment had occured, you'll at least have a return-policy/warranty and you'll likely have updated software. (While operating software is updatable free via internet, a unit that has been updated by a dealer will likely have a current database as well and does not require immediate knowlege or cable-ownership, a minor but perhaps important matter for a new owner. But the prime reason to buy from a dealer is a warranty/return-policy, ...after all, they are looking for your repeat business. I've found them competitive with street-prices.)
Eastern Avionics and Tropic Aero are two companies I've found reputable and competitive. Eastern has a good website with some good advice on buying used avionics as well as a search tool to find pricing and "great buys" is a section of their site wth some good choices/advice.
http://www.avionix.com/
Tropic Aero has a good trade-in plan and offers a used Garmin 196 this morning at $499. http://www.tropicaero.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

George is right on the money (is that twice in one month I've noted that 8O) and you will notice I posted our own members sales first.

I must confess I've gone way out on a limb and purchased two GPSs through Ebay and have been very happy. Both of my purchases where under $250. If I was in the market for a 196 I would certainly keep avionics vendors in mind.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I also went with the Lowrance 2000C. I was also considering the the Garmin 296 but had a 196 budget. The Lowrance does just about everything the 296 does and a few things it doesn't for less than half the price. I paid $700 for mine new which is just $150-200 more than a used 196. The one drawback to this unit is has big bright 5" color display (good) but as a result sucks up the batteries. It definitely was designed to run on ship power with battery as a backup (about 3-4 hours).
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I believe Garmin will service most, if not all, of their products for a fixed price (check with them!). For that, you get basically a remanufactured unit. Know what this costs for what you're buying on eBay, and it'll help you figure out what you're willing to pay.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

To be honest I'm much more interested in the PDA type GPS moving map displays. Thinking the PDA could be used for much more.

I had a friend who had a bad experience with one and I'm not that PDA gadget savy and don't want to be just to figure it out. And so I just look at them.

I'd predicted that Garmin would be moving to this type of unit moving away from manufacturing their own hardware.
Garmin did at least for one unit with their IQue 3600a but it doesn't seem popular. Or at least I haven't heard rave reviews of it.

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter »

lowNslow,

Seems like you are very happy with your 2000C. I am on the fence on buying one mostly because I own several Garmin products already and they are very user friendly. All mine are units I use for hunting and have used then in my plane to fly all the way across the US. They work but one has to put in all the waypoints. I guess my question is...how do you think its "user friendliness " compares to the Garmin. I am not a computer geek and even have problem on the computer if that tells you anything.

Keith
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

WWhunter wrote:lowNslow,

Seems like you are very happy with your 2000C. I am on the fence on buying one mostly because I own several Garmin products already and they are very user friendly. All mine are units I use for hunting and have used then in my plane to fly all the way across the US. They work but one has to put in all the waypoints. I guess my question is...how do you think its "user friendliness " compares to the Garmin. I am not a computer geek and even have problem on the computer if that tells you anything.

Keith
For most everything it is a very user friendly device, but like most electronic gadgets, including the Garmins, it will take some time to learn all the features and advanced functions. The Garmin and Lowrance units have so many features and functions, many that you may not need or use, that you just have to master the items you know you will use all the time and pick up the rest as you get more comfortable with the unit. I also have several Garmin hand held units and did not find the transition to the Lowrance any problem.
Karl
ASW-20BL
iowa

Post by iowa »

i see tropic aero has a 296
used for sell for 499!!
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Can most of these units be wired into the planes panel to save on batteries? For example the Lowrance 2000c would not need batteries if wired directly into the panel.

I have the Garmin Pilot III wired into the panel so batteries are not an issue. It's not real portable but does everything I want for now.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

flat country pilot wrote:Can most of these units be wired into the planes panel to save on batteries? For example the Lowrance 2000c would not need batteries if wired directly into the panel.

I have the Garmin Pilot III wired into the panel so batteries are not an issue. It's not real portable but does everything I want for now.

Bill
Yes, you can either use the provided cigarette lighter adaptor or order the cord to wire directly into a appropriate panel CB or provide an inline CB (2amps).
Karl
ASW-20BL
davevramp

10 hr

Post by davevramp »

I have a 196 and a 296 like them both the 296 is better than the 196. I all ways fly with one close by. Great item for a group buy.

For those that have not used GPS I highly suggest 10 hr on the ground
before you get into an aircraft. 10 more hr in the right seat before you put it into service from the left seat. The learning curve can be steep and takes a lot of attention away from flying.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

iowa wrote:i see tropic aero has a 296
used for sell for 499!!
dave
I believe that is 295. Not a very popular unit and frequently found cheap on ebay. I am not sure what the problem is with these units.
Karl
ASW-20BL