ALASKA MIGRATION

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

ALASKA MIGRATION

Post by dacker »

I decided to go ahead and start a thread for discussions on our first annual 170 migration to AK. I think we can make this happen.

Maybe we can start posting ideas and information and keep this thread alive.

What I envision is a trip to the Fairbanks area or some place in the interior from which we/I can base for a couple of weeks and do all of those things that we go to AK to do...including hitting the larger towns for eating or what ever. Maybe the Anchorage/Kenai area would be suitable.

I definitely would like to do a lot of fishing, so maybe we could gather info on some gravel bars from which we can safely operate, or small strips near fishing holes, you know that whole AK flying thing, but without the wrecked airplanes.

I have been to AK twice, and I can tell those of you who have never been, that you will never be bored or run out of things to do.
Lets hear some ideas!

David :)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

http://fp1.centurytel.net/170/AK%20Dave ... 0Guide.htm

No offense to the Interior fans, but I think you will be better off more South Central, exactly like the Kenai Area. There is more than enough for you to do and you can do it all from there. Are you thinking camping or hotel?
dacker

Post by dacker »

I was thinking of the Fairbanks area mostly because I have not been there yet. But, I agree that the south-central area has plenty to keep me busy for months! Would we be more susceptible to bad weather in the Kenai/Anchorage areas? My experience tells me to expect plenty of rain, but that doesn't mean you can't fly.

I would probably stay in a hotel/B&B and camp a little. My wife and I rented a little log cabin near Denali and also stayed in a little one bedroom camp on a lake near Wasilla for a couple of nights. I have also stayed in an apartment owned by some fishing guides in Kenai. I have not camped yet, and I certainly will, but honestly, even though I grew up camping and I was an active boyscout, it lost most of its attraction after a week of survival training in the military. I love the outdoors, but there is something to be said about a shower, nice warm bed and a fireplace after a long day outside! All in all though, I am game for just about anything.
k0al

ALASKA MIGRATION

Post by k0al »

I had intended on flying my 170 to AK this past June, but family woes prevented such.

It is on my "wish list" for 2007 however.

I would probably think of doing so in June 2007 and would be interested in joining other 170 types for company, commiseration, etc. I would be interested in camping at least some of the nights.

I had thopught that 4 days flying time should be allotted, with a week total allowing for weather and other non foreseen events.

Keep the thread going!

Al N5455C
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'd like to go, although I've got a wedding coming up at the end of July that may put a damper on such a thing, or I maybe I'll really need to get out of the house for a while then :roll:
Alaska Flyer

Accommodation for C170 AK-travelers

Post by Alaska Flyer »

I was reading your posting about your trip to AK and thought the following may be of interest.

We own a cabin with strip in a quiet subdivision on the Kenai Peninsula. It is located just South of Sterling. It is accessible by air and road. It is 10 miles East of the Soldotna airport where Avgas is sold. We were always thinking of renting it out to the flying enthousiasts coming to Alaska and this might be the opportunity.

The strip is 1,600' gravel North-South orientated with trees all around. I land/take-off with my C170B (160HP O-320 CS prop) at full gross no problem. The parking spot should fit two C-170's.

The cabin is ~ 700ft2 with shower/restroom, kitchen, water well and electricity. Is fully furnished and sleeps five easy. The subdivision has a boatlaunch to the famous Kenai river +/- 5-minute walk from the cabin.

If there is any interest we will work on providing more information, cost, etc.
dacker

Post by dacker »

That sounds great! PM me some more info. If I go, I will most likely have my wife and two girls fly into Anchorage on a commercial airline, then rent a car for convenience. So a cabin with access by road and airplane would be great.
David
dacker

Post by dacker »

Well, on another note. I just ordered steel axles (I have the original aluminum hollow axles) and 8.00s to be put on during my annual this month. I am getting 84A ready! I thought about having my prop repitched but I don't think I could stand only going a 100mph here in Texas, it is awfully flat, that and it was just overhauled last year. I will just make sure that I operate on the light side.

I will have lots of questions about fishing, like where can you get roe for bait, what size tackle (I seem to remember using some fairly hefty tackle, like 35# test), etc. When is the best time for which salmon run? Should I learn to handle a fly rod? If my girls come I want to make sure that I can provide them a good fishing experience like I did their mother 13 years ago (when their mother was pregnant with the oldest). I took her with Johnson Bothers out of Kenai or Soldotna... I see from their website that they are still guiding, it looks more expensive than I remember though.

Lots of questions, but it is fun planning something like this!
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Glad to help too if needed. I'm based at McKinley Park strip (INR/PAIN), as is another 170 owner (who I think is not currently a member - I need to start recruiting.)
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
dacker

Post by dacker »

Arkansas Dave that was a good link you posted, I think if I go I will concentrate on the South Central part of AK like you suggested. You coming to Reklaw? If you do bring some good AK pictures.

Futr AK Flyer I might just have to make a little flight up to McKinley Park (why don't they call it Denali Park?) Maybe we could get a little gathering of 170ers together somewhere.

All others, if I am able to make this trip it will most likely be sometime in June. I hope we can get a gaggle together, I am not sure how my time frame will coincide with the Galveston convention and I certainly don't want to keep anyone from Galveston, it is just that I want to take advantage of the ability to go to AK while I can, and honestly the family would rather spend their vacation in AK.

While I was typing the doorbell rang... it was the UPS guy with my steel axles and 8.00s, they are beautiful, I can't help but shed a few tears of happiness, I may have to sleep with them! :) :)
futr_alaskaflyer

dacker wrote:
Futr AK Flyer I might just have to make a little flight up to McKinley Park (why don't they call it Denali Park?) Maybe we could get a little gathering of 170ers together somewhere.

That would be fun. BTW I don't know why they still call it McKinley Park other than that is it's traditional name, plus there is another registered private strip a few miles south already called "Denali."
Richard
N3477C
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

For long time, mountain native name Denali (The Great One). White man name it McKinley, after president. Later, name park Denali for political correctness.
futr_alaskaflyer

Umm..I mean I don't know why they still call it McKinley Park airstrip... :wink:
Richard
N3477C
spiro

Post by spiro »

Prez McKinley never set foot in Alaska nor laid eyes on Denali.
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Dave, The Convention is in Texas the last week of June '07 i believe. Be terrible to miss it since it will be the first one that is somewhat centrally located in quite some time. 8O On a side note, how many members would be interested in a group flight to the Bahama's? Looks like another fun destination. I prefer bikinis over bears! :D Randal
51 Cessna 170A N1263D