Closed Airports

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow

Closed Airports

Post by lowNslow »

This may have been posted before, but if not this is a really interesting site which has the history of closed or abandon airports. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm
I couldn't believe how many airports there WERE within just a 50 radius of my home port here in Monterey, CA.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Cooper

Closed airports

Post by Cooper »

I often wondered what happened to the old Baton Rouge Municipal Airport. My wife and I had driven by where it used to be a few years ago and we could not even find a clue that it ever existed. The 1967 photo appears to have on the field two of the airplanes that I flew back then. One was a J3-Cub and the other was a Piper Tri-Pacer. They were aircraft that you could rent from individuals. I lived in Lafayette, LA and did most of my flying with an Aeronca Chief. I did rent a lot of Cessna 150's to fly from Lafayette to Baton Rouge to visit a friend of mine that I grew up with.

Thanks for the information. I'll look around at some of the other airports that have gone by the way. I wish there were some way to bring them back. I was planning to the Baton Rouge Municipal Airport after I get my Cessna 170 B restored. Don't think that will be possible anymore.

I am not certain how they justified closing all that many airports. There are quite a few listed on the site. What a shame to lose such history.
Remel_Cooper@BellSouth.net
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
1953 Cessna 170 B N3011A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I remember landing at the old Baton Rouge "Downtown" airport back in 1973, in a Cessna 140. I had picked up one of the pipeline company's airplanes from the Florida-based pilot, to be flown back to the Houston area for a new engine.
What they had failed to tell me was that the engine was making metal. :?
After a half-day over the swamps of south Alabama/Louisiana I landed at BTR downtown airport for fuel, and then took off again. I got all the way across that mile-wide area of the Mississippi River and over the Atchafalaya swamp when it started running so rough I couldn't read the gauges. Barely got it back across the river in a slow, near-stalling descent and back into downtown airport. Rolled off the runway and got it stopped in the grass.
When I checked it out, the dipstick looked like it was coated with gold, metal-flake paint! 8O
(I went to New Orleans and got drunk in the French Qtr.) :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
iowa

Post by iowa »

i make nursing home rounds
at coon rapids, iowa.
it looks like there was a strip
just east of town.
does anyone know if this
really is an abandoned airport?
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747