Metamorphose of N3415D

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jlwild

Metamorphose of N3415D

Post by jlwild »

8O No longer is my plane in the running for the "most potential" award at the Petit Jean Flyin hosted by Dave Laseter. Thanks Dave for prodding me to post the pictures.

After 3 years of slowly repairing/flying/repairing/flying many parts were fixed, repaired or replaced. Then was it ready for painting. Thanks goes to Cleo Bickford, George Horn, Bob Coats, Ron Massicot, and Tom Benidict for help on parts, advice, and encouragement.

This is the before picture inroute to Mena, AR paint shop.

:D This is the after picture taken in Bellingham, WA inroute to the Kelowna, B.C.,Canada Cessna 170 convention.

Hope this gives other encouragement on their paint and upholstery projects.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Wow, that is really classy Jim! Just the right amount of color to white. Can't WAIT TO see it at Petit Jean!
Last edited by AR Dave on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Nice 8) I always loved red white and black as one of my favorite color combos. That design really works with the planes lines.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Jim what I liked about your aircraft aside from the fact it easily won the peoples award because it was a complete beauty was your top cowl. I think you did away with the doors and went to a later style pop open panel to gain access to the oil dipstick. Have I got my memory mixed up ? I'd like to do the same thing but I'm wondering how the inner aft angle was manufactured? The original cowl has that piece spot welded on.
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

C170b53,

:D Yes, Your memory is still correct :!:

8) And, yes I modified the top cowl. In simple terms, I recycled the top cowl and flush rivited a new skin where the old cowl door seated to top cowl 8O . The original spot welded piece, on the inside of the top cowl was retained and used to provide backing and material for riviting the new skin in place.

Then, after measuring carefully, a hole was cut in the new skin near the upper left corner and a C172 oil inspection door flush mounted. It turned out better than I expected. It is still easy to check oil and remove oil cap to add oil through the smaller door. However, a negative is you can not remove, or check water in battery without removing top cowl.

Some positive safety features of the new smaller inspection door are:

1. New door is mounted aft of the engine air baffle - on low pressure side - and will not pop open in flight like the old larger doors are prone to do when the door edges, or door locks, become worn.
2. Top cowl is now stronger with less spots to rub and wear metal thin.

8) Guess next time I remove cowl for oil change I should take some pictures and post them.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Jim, when you get a chance, email me that AFTER picture. I've been tinkering with the website, adding pictures here and there. Have a page titled "Our Planes". I know we have a bunch more photos, I think on my home computer. Remember we took pictures of everyone in front of their planes. http://fp1.centurytel.net/170/
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:Nice 8)...That design really works with the planes lines.
Yeah, Cessna really knew what they were doing with that one. I think that original 1955 170B scheme is one of the most copied that's out there!

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks Jim - can't replace the picture of you and Lolly though.