Nav Canada

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

NAV CANADA - Currency Conversion

Post by 170C »

concierge.com is a helpful tool for determining what the currency exchange rate is between vrs countries' currency. My invoice was for $19.08 & per this website, the US conversion is $16.33. I too had good experiences with the Canadian airport/controller's. I wasn't very happy with the City of Kelowna charging us $11.00 per night to park our planes on a ramp considering the economic impact the 170 convention brought to their city, but Dave tried to get the fees waived and they weren't agreeable.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. I was irritatated at that parking fee also...ESPECIALLY considering the lousy tie-down arrangements AND the additonal fees for those sorry sandbags.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

NAV Canada

Post by 170C »

Well I can't fault the aero club for the sand bags. They did what they could and we would have been up a creek without them. I appreciate their efforts and they did provide us their facilites and helped park planes, provide folks to help Dave with registration, etc. Its just too bad a city, and we have a bunch of them here---probably more than Canada---that are so money hungary.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Its fish until the last one has been landed as far as the city is concerned. I think Dave tried but in the end stupidity ruled.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

No reflection on the flying club or Dave whatsoever! They did a fine job. I'm just complaining that the city thinks it's OK to charge for things they did not provide, to visitors who spent money in their market.
Opposite Example: Naniamo (Vancouver Island) charged nothing for excellent tie-downs, and the flying club provided free transport and assistance locating lodging and at the lowest fuel prices on the entire trip!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAD

Post by GAD »

pif_sonic

Sir, I do not think that you are up to speed on the current employment of the Canadian Forces! Please make an effort to get informed.
GAD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I received my invoice from Nav Canada ($19 Canadian) and paid it via credit card because that method automatically makes the monetary conversion.
While I strongly oppose the privatization of national resources such as airways management (along with parks/wildlife mgt., public road/toll-ways, school vouchers, etc. which are merely schemes to allow the politically connected individuals and corporations to skim off taxpayers dollars intended for infrastructure... for their own profit), but it seems to be the current trend and focus of the administration. If we don't want to see these sort of things then we should get involved personally with our lawmakers. AOPA membership alone won't get it. (AOPA, with it's own lobbying agenda doesn't even fight these issues except superficially. I've been very disappointed in their lack of meaningful outcomes in several local (AUS airport) and nat'l issues (Controller contracts, ADIZ/TSA issues.)
I am not a citizen of Canada, rarely fly there, and do not support their national airspace system services unless I pay their fees. As a foreign user of their services, it doesn't seem unfair for me to pay a little for it, but I think they've erred for the implementation of that resource for their own citizens. Perhaps the U.S. should institute such fees for foreign registered aircraft. I'd love to see the world repay the U.S. taxpayer for use of the GPS system he financed.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

You're on the right track George, as a Canuck I pay fuel taxes to pay for the aviation infrastructure. Of course the government puts the fuel tax into general revenue rather than general aviation.
Dave

user fees

Post by Dave »

I guess everyone forgot about the $25 US decal fee they were charged by the US border service on return to the states.
Yesterday Canada lost it's 40th soldier in Afghanastan.
GAHorn

Re: user fees

Post by GAHorn »

Dave wrote:I guess everyone forgot about the $25 US decal fee they were charged by the US border service on return to the states.
Yesterday Canada lost it's 40th soldier in Afghanastan.
Excellent points, Dave! (Meanwhile, NavCanada has returned my mailed letter which included their own form for paying by credit card, ... and they want me to TELEPHONE them to pay by credit card! 8O Gotta wonder...why they included a credit card payment form in their invoice if they didnt' intend me to use it....) :roll:
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:(Meanwhile, NavCanada has returned my mailed letter which included their own form for paying by credit card, ... and they want me to TELEPHONE them to pay by credit card! 8O Gotta wonder...why they included a credit card payment form in their invoice if they didnt' intend me to use it....) :roll:
Sounds like a good idea for a credit card scam!

BTW, I have yet to receive a bill from them.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Miles
I'm havn't got my bill from NavCan either, but I did get a renewal notice from our CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION FOLKS asking for $25 to renew my sticker for 2007.

Larry
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:(Meanwhile, NavCanada has returned my mailed letter which included their own form for paying by credit card, ... and they want me to TELEPHONE them to pay by credit card! 8O Gotta wonder...why they included a credit card payment form in their invoice if they didnt' intend me to use it....) :roll:
Sounds like a good idea for a credit card scam!

BTW, I have yet to receive a bill from them.

Miles
I'll send 'em your address. :lol:

(More seriously, if your aircraft registration has an older address on it, they probably sent your invoice to that address and it was returned to them. Next time you're in Canada they'll impound your airplane.) :roll:
(They sent my invoice to my old PO Box, but the country-Post Office knows me and forwarded it. Oh, ... the fame I enjoy!) :lol:
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:(More seriously, if your aircraft registration has an older address on it, they probably sent your invoice to that address and it was returned to them. Next time you're in Canada they'll impound your airplane.) :roll:
(They sent my invoice to my old PO Box, but the country-Post Office knows me and forwarded it. Oh, ... the fame I enjoy!) :lol:
The address I have on file with the FAA is current an correct. It hasn't changed in over 5 years. So there. :P

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

Just ignore the bill, the Canadians don't pay here, why should we pay up there?
Tom Downey A&P-IA