Spit N Whittle Bench

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Spit N Whittle Bench

Post by AR Dave »

We should have a catagory for this: I'm a youngster but when I was growing up in East Texas, my friends and I would walk to the gasoline station. We'd pick up coke (means pop down home) bottles until we had enough to pay for a grape or big red. Then we'd sit outside and visit with the men on the Spit N Whittle Bench. We learned all kinds of usefull tips there, like how to spit and take the sting out of Bull Nettle whelps. Enough rambling - (oh one more, what was the name of those goober patties - purple with peanuts in them?)

Aug 30, 1986 Traci and I were married = 20th Anniversary yesterday!
I asked her what she wanted to do in the next 20 years. She said sell everything, get a smaller home or not have one at all, but definitely a nice motorhome and tour the country. She said she wanted to see Maine, The Redwood Forest, Grand Canyon, & etc.... WOW!

So surely some of you have tried this? I'm not sure about it! I was thinking that when we grew up we could just fly around visiting 170 members :D This is at least 8 yrs out after our youngest graduates, btw. I think living like this might sound a little more romantic than it actually is. Anyone ever done this?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Peanut Patties! I loved 'em! They're still made.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/peanut-patty.htm

One of the earliest makers of this candy was "Tuckers". Their recipie was:
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1 cup half-and-half
3 cups raw peanuts
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, light corn syrup, and half-and-half. Bring to a boil, then add peanuts. Cook until the syrup reaches the firm ball stage, about 250*F. Remove from heat.
Stir in butter and vanilla. Beat until creamy then drop by spoonfuls onto a buttered baking sheet.
Makes 24 pieces.

A few drops of red food coloring mixed in with the butter/vanilla will turn them the original pink color.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

A Texan gets pulled over by a Oklahoma State Trooper for speeding. The Trooper started to lecture the Texan about his speeding and, in general, began to throw his weight around and try to make the Texan feel uncomfortable. Finally, the Tropper got around to writing out the ticket. As he was doing that, he keept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head. The Texan saays, "Y'all havin' some problem with circle flies?" The Trooper stopped writitng the ticket and said, "Well yeah, if that's what they're called. But, I never heard of circle flies." "Well sir," the Texan replies, "Circle flies hang around ranches. They're called circlee flies because they're almost always found circling around the back end of a horse." The Trooper says, "Oh," and goes back to writitng the ticket. But, a moment later he stops and says, "Are you calling me a horses's ass?" "No, sir," the Texan replies. "I have too much respect for lae enforcement to all y'all a horses ass." "That's a good thing," the Tropper says and goes back to writing the ticket. After a long pause, the Texan, in his best Texas drawl, says, "Hard to fool them flies though."
170C

Dave & Traci

Post by 170C »

Congratulations on making 20 years of marriage Dave (and Traci). Unfortunately this is becoming too rare in today's society. Too many couples have a disagreement and without any regard for the impact on themselves, their kids, family, etc. just get a divorce and off they go. You and Traci have done good :D Now that traveling around the country in a motor home sounds like fun to me, at least for a while, but I would have to have a place to call home that wasn't mobile to come back to. Becky doesn't seem interested in cooking & cleaning in an RV (motor home or travel trailer--don't know how she'd feel about an RV-8, but I can guess :roll: ) However if you and Traci decide to give this a try just remember to be back in Arkansas each May for Petit Jean :wink: Yea, those peanut patties are still available here in the Lone Star State. I see them often in convenience stores. A company in Lubbock seems to be the major source around here. MMM, I'd like to have one now. Almost as good as an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. Also good to put peanuts in the cola bottle :!:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks George for the Peanut Patty website, we're going to order some for work. Also, I've sent that reicipe to Traci, to see if we can make big batches at the Petit Jean Fly-in.

Yes Frank I agree with the having a home base. A smaller, no yard, no maintenance house would be best. I'd like that weather we get a motorhome or not. When getting married in Arkansas you have the option of choosing what's called a Covenant Marriage. To summarize, if a couple decides to break up, they have to wait 3yrs after that decision before they can get a legal divorce. I think that's how it works. This is supposed to give them time to get counseling and etc.. Any couple can also go and have their marriage re-done into this type contract.

In other Bench N Whittle news - that land that is for sale across the road from Petit Jean Airport, the Park is looking at buying that!
Glynn

Candy Name

Post by Glynn »

Goo-Goo Cluster - I remember them from the little Gas Station / Store about a mile down the road from my house - in Birmingham, Al

Glynn
You Know It's 2006 When You Have 12 Phone Numbers To Reach Your Family Of 3
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

This morning I got my BFR done. We did all the boring stuff then he ask me to stall it. Man I have a hard time getting that plane to stall, especially with full flaps. The bottom of my ASI reads 40 mph, so I don't know where it finally stalls. Sure suprised that Californian CFI, who fly's a Mooney. Well I was glad to rediscover the low stall speed again. After reading all the scarey stories on this forum, I'd raised my landing speed to about 130 mph. He told me to do a soft field landing and I perked up. Oh yah baby now we're going to go flying! With approach speed back to where it belonged I felt like a pilot again. After that first landing he told me he'd seen enough, to which I replied you ain't seen nothing yet! Watch this landing, ask me to cut the engine, can you take off like this, can you do that in your Mooney? After which I got to thinking, here I am paying an instructor so that I can have a captive audience. :lol:
170C

BFR

Post by 170C »

Gotta watch those "Hey Watch This" things :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

:idea: Speaking of "Hey watch this", I've got something in the back of my skull that's trying to come forward. Forward enough that an experienced pilot friend and I actually discussed how to do it and even pulled the nose up, nuetralized the controls, & flirted with it. Don't ya'll ever get the urge to roll it? 8O
JTS

Post by JTS »

Fifty something year old airplane, VERY sensitive to negative load factor (wouldn't take much push), answer: nope. Best to save the unusual attitudes for citabrias and decathlons, or better yet, a Pitts S2B 8) .

Jody
'52 170B CF-FDH Ser# 20841
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave, I know it has been done in 170s but I wouldn't do it in mine. Jody's got it right.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Temptation was just too much!
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Where'd you get the STC for the inverted fuel & oil systems? :lol: :lol: 8) Be sure to send copies to HQ. :D
Doug
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

doug8082a wrote:Where'd you get the STC for the inverted fuel & oil systems? :lol: :lol: 8) Be sure to send copies to HQ. :D
Naw, he's in a positive G loop so no need :lol:

Mmmm, goo goo clusters and RC cola. Mmmm 8)
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

How come the rear seat belts aren't dangling?
(Answer: Excellent pilot technique, Dave! A barrel-roll is a one-G manuever.)
Don't try this at home. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)